Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Turning off water main: shutdown water heater first?

I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have to
shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on, do I
have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 11:47*am, "james" wrote:
I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have to
shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on, do I
have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

No need to shutdown the water heater, as long as your not draining it.
Most times when you shut off the water main, water will remain in the
HW heater tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 11:47*am, "james" wrote:
I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have to
shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on, do I
have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

No need to turn off the WH.

Just turn off the main and open as many faucets as you need to drain
the system so you don't get the system full of water draining out of
the one fixture you're working on.

As long as you are fixing the spigot, why not install a shut off for
it so you don't have to turn off the whole house next time - or even
in the winter?

One more tip: when you turn the main back on, turn it on full and then
close it about an 1/4 turn - assmuning it's a compression style with a
rotary handle. This gives you room to "play" if the main freezes up
due to corrosion in the future. If you open it all the way against the
stop, you won't have any "wiggle room" if it gets stuck.

This tip holds true for all compression style shut-offs, but is not
(typically) a concern for ball valves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote the following:
I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I
have to shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water
back on, do I have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

After you repair what is wrong with the outside faucet, put a shutoff
valve in the line so you don't have to shut down the whole house next time.
Unless there is a shutoff valve there already and you can't find it.
I have multiple shut off valves for everything that dispenses water in
the house. Besides the ones under the sinks, bath, shower, toilets, or
outside faucets, I have separate shut off valves in the source lines in
the basement. If I have to remove the water softener, I have shutoff and
bypass valves going into and out off the water softener, so the rest of
the house does not have to do without water. It's similar to the the
breaker box. You don't have to shut off the main breaker to repair an
outlet, fixture, or switch.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 1:43*pm, willshak wrote:
james wrote the following: I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I
[...]

Why can't he put the shutoff valve in first? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 10:47*am, "james" wrote:
I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have to
shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on, do I
have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

To "reboot" instal the CD that came with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 2:08*pm, ransley wrote:
On May 27, 10:47*am, "james" wrote:

I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have to
shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on, do I
have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

To "reboot" install the CD that came with it.

Oh no...now he'll be posting back asking where he can download the
activation key.
Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have
to shutdown the water heater first?

You should turn off the heater.
Under normal circumstances, the water stays in the tank and is not a
problem.
But what about abnormal circumstances? Like you get distracted, or
hurt...and the tank drains.

It takes two seconds to flip the switch to off. Why not take the
precaution???

And that goes for any kind of repair. Don't skip simple steps
that make the process safer or less vulnerable to screw-ups.

And before the villages light the torches to come after me, let me
say...
The fact that the statistical probability of having a problem is near zero
is small comfort when it actually happens to you.

And after I turn the water back on,
do I have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

no, but read the manual if you're unsure.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On May 27, 9:47*am, "james" wrote:
I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have to
shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on, do I
have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

==
In addition to all of the other posting in reply, if you have a hot
water tank heated by NG, you can just turn the control to PILOT for
the time being while doing the repair. After the repair , just turn it
back to the original setting.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most WH, the serial number is the activation key.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

To "reboot" install the CD that came with it.

Oh no...now he'll be posting back asking where he can download the
activation key.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What Roy was going to write, also. The white knob on top of the gas
valve turns to pilot. Don't have to adjust the black knob on the side
of the controls.

For electric WH, look in your panel box for a double 30 breaker.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Roy" wrote in message

==
In addition to all of the other posting in reply, if you have a hot
water tank heated by NG, you can just turn the control to PILOT for
the time being while doing the repair. After the repair , just turn it
back to the original setting.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

The others have written much what I would have written.

It is a good idea to shut off the WH, though it's likely not a
problem. Unlikely to need any reboot. Small chance that a gas WH pilot
light may blow out. The provided software disk will help with
rebooting. Insert disk before powering up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"james" wrote in message
I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I
have to
shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on,
do I
have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
One more tip: when you turn the main back on, turn it on full
and then
close it about an 1/4 turn - assmuning it's a compression style
with a
rotary handle. This gives you room to "play" if the main freezes
up
due to corrosion in the future. If you open it all the way
against the
stop, you won't have any "wiggle room" if it gets stuck.

This tip holds true for all compression style shut-offs, but is
not
(typically) a concern for ball valves.

You made it worthwhile booting up my computer today. Thanks for
an excellent tip.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 11:47*am, "james" wrote:

have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

Only if the water heater is made by Microsoft.
Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have
to shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on,
do I have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

Hi,
That is funny, our outside faucets are frost proof ones and each one has
individual shut off inside. Don't need to shut off the main valve.
Leave the water heater alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was told it's full open minus half turn. So the next guy, if he
turns it the wrong way. It will turn "some" so that he knows it's not
a corroded and frozen valve stem. Then he will (maybe) figure out to
turn it the other way.

Works on globe, gate, and angle valves. Ball valves don't have a half
turn of play to work with.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

One more tip: when you turn the main back on, turn it on full
and then
close it about an 1/4 turn - assmuning it's a compression style
with a
rotary handle. This gives you room to "play" if the main freezes
up
due to corrosion in the future. If you open it all the way
against the
stop, you won't have any "wiggle room" if it gets stuck.

This tip holds true for all compression style shut-offs, but is
not
(typically) a concern for ball valves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We don't need no education! We don't need no shut off valve!

Hey! Plumber! Leave them pipes alone!
http://musicwiki.info/en/pink-floyd-...e-wall-part-2/
(Paraphrasing an old song.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
That is funny, our outside faucets are frost proof ones and each one
has
individual shut off inside. Don't need to shut off the main valve.
Leave the water heater alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a well planned system.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
That is funny, our outside faucets are frost proof ones and each one
has
individual shut off inside. Don't need to shut off the main valve.
Leave the water heater alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:
[...]

I debated about that, but "before you repair the faucet, put a shutoff
valve in the line" just 'sounded' a little clumsy, although feasible. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 5:29*pm, "Stormin Mormon"

For electric WH, look in your panel box for a double 30 breaker.

--

That makes me wonder a little.

Do you really want to flip that breaker under load? Yeah, it's
designed to trip under load, but not all that many times.

Not saying it's wrong, just wondering about it. When I worked in a
factory we were careful never to flip a breaker under load, always
powered down first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 7:00*am, willshak wrote:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Although I was kind of kidding, now that I think about itactually
makes sense:

Depending on the layout, the OP might be able to cut the pipe inside
the house, pull the old spigot out, put a shutoff on the interior pipe
and install a frost proof spigot through the wall, into the shutoff.

Granted, that's a complete upgrade rather than a simple repair, but an
upgrade that might be worth the extra work/cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 1:43 pm, wrote:

[...]

if you install a shutoff with a little waste cap, and/or make sure that
the pipe from the shutoff to the spigot angles down slightly, you don't
need a frostproof spigot.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On May 27, 1:43 pm, wrote:

[...]

So that you can drain the spigot each fall? That's what I have now,
and I have to do it each fall! And I have to remember. And if I need
water, there is none until spring. And it's getting harder and
harder to open the cap, and to shut it, plus I've given up trying to
catch the water that comes out when I open it.

I'm sure it's not always worth the effort, but I wouldn't discourage a
frostproof spigot.

to the spigot angles down slightly, you don't
need a frostproof spigot.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:50:24 -0700 (PDT), Jack Hammer
wrote:

On May 27, 11:47*am, "james" wrote:

have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

Only if the water heater is made by Microsoft.

It's a common misconception that Linux water heaters don't require any
user involvement, but once you have one, well, it's not that simple.