Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Turning off water main: shutdown water heater first?

On May 28, 7:00*am, willshak wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

On May 27, 1:43 pm, willshak wrote:

james wrote the following: I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I

have to shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water
back on, do I have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

After you repair what is wrong with the outside faucet, put a shutoff
valve in the line so you don't have to shut down the whole house next time.
Unless there is a shutoff valve there already and you can't find it.
I have multiple shut off valves for everything that dispenses water in
the house. Besides the ones under the sinks, bath, shower, toilets, or
outside faucets, I have separate shut off valves in the source lines in
the basement. If I have to remove the water softener, I have shutoff and
bypass valves going into and out off the water softener, so the rest of
the house does not have to do without water. It's similar to the the
breaker box. You don't have to shut off the main breaker to repair an
outlet, fixture, or switch.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"After you repair what is wrong with the outside faucet, put a
shutoff valve in the line..."

Why can't he put the shutoff valve in first? ;-)

I debated about that, but "before you repair the faucet, put a shutoff
valve in the line" just 'sounded' a little clumsy, although feasible. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Although I was kind of kidding, now that I think about itactually
makes sense:

Depending on the layout, the OP might be able to cut the pipe inside
the house, pull the old spigot out, put a shutoff on the interior pipe
and install a frost proof spigot through the wall, into the shutoff.

Granted, that's a complete upgrade rather than a simple repair, but an
upgrade that might be worth the extra work/cost.