mad NATer

Default Turning off water - leaving heater on

I've got a rental house which is vacant right now. Seeing that it's winter
I'd like to turn off the water at the street to help insure the pipes don't
freeze and bust. Is it OK to leave the gas water heater on? I'd rather not
turn off the gas if there is no problem leaving the heater on and the water
off for a period of a few weeks. Thanks.

Joseph Meehan

mad NATer wrote:
I've got a rental house which is vacant right now. Seeing that it's
winter I'd like to turn off the water at the street to help insure
the pipes don't freeze and bust. Is it OK to leave the gas water
heater on? I'd rather not turn off the gas if there is no problem
leaving the heater on and the water off for a period of a few weeks.
Thanks.

Big potential problem. Just turn the heater off, most will allow you to
turn off the main heater without turning off the pilot.

I might suggest that if you are worried about pipes freezing, you need
to also drain the pipes, and the hot water heater that has a lot of water in
it. Don't even consider draining the hot water heater without turning off
the gas to it.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Doug Kanter

There was a long, helpful discussion about this last week. Look for the
subject line "Can water be turned off to hot water heater", dated 1/14/2005.
If you can't spot the subject, sort your messages by date and you'll see it.

. ..

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
HF 34706 lathe Dominic Palazzola Woodturning 56 March 8th 04 11:21 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 01:09 AM