Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Turning off the water to a gas hot water heater for a week or so at a time

Hi everyone,

We have an older house we're fixing up and trying to sell, but being
we only visit the house on the weekends we're thinking of shutting off
the water at the street during the week. This house has a gas hot
water heater, so I wasn't sure if shutting off the water would cause
any problems with the water heater, which is about 3-4 years old.

The reason we want to turn the water off is because for one, the house
is old and I don't want a leak to pop-up when we're not there, and
secondly we're afraid some folks in the neighborhood might take water
from the outside faucet because I've seen them doing this to other
houses.

Thanks for any advice.

Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:02 am, "Alex" wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have an older house we're fixing up and trying to sell, but being
we only visit the house on the weekends we're thinking of shutting off
the water at the street during the week. This house has a gas hot
water heater, so I wasn't sure if shutting off the water would cause
any problems with the water heater, which is about 3-4 years old.

The reason we want to turn the water off is because for one, the house
is old and I don't want a leak to pop-up when we're not there, and
secondly we're afraid some folks in the neighborhood might take water
from the outside faucet because I've seen them doing this to other
houses.

Thanks for any advice.

Alex

You can turn the water off and it shouldn't cause any problems. It
is possible though that a cup or two of water could emerge from the
TPR valve, because when water is heated, it expands. With many
systems, the small amount of expansion is taken up by the municipal
water system, giving it a place to go. By closing off the valve, that
cup of water may emerge from the TPR valve, unless you have an
expansion tank in the system.

One obvious solution is to turn the water heater to the pilot setting,
which will also save you energy cost during the week it's off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 12, 10:02 am, "Alex" wrote:
[...]

But ... if a leak develops anywhere and enough water drains from the tank,
it'll ruin it pretty quickly. Best to turn it to pilot of OFF if electric
when it's not needed. Saves fuel, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 9:17 am, "Pop`" wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 12, 10:02 am, "Alex" wrote:
[...]

Thanks... I've never worked with a gas water heater, so I didn't know
there was such a setting as 'pilot'. I'll do that.. We mainly need
heated water when cleaning, but for most general tasks cool water is
okay.

Take care --

Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 12, 9:17 am, "Pop`" wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 12, 10:02 am, "Alex" wrote:
[...]

On mine, there isn't. I turn it to "vacation" when I am away with the water
turned off. So far no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 12, 10:02 am, "Alex" wrote:
[...]

Any slowly dripping faucet, water softener during clean cycle, kids turn on
an outdoor faucet, pipe freezes & breaks, etc etc etc etc etc etc.. It's
not common, but there are a lot of possibilities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" writes:
Since the inlet and outlet are at the top of the tank, and there would be no
inlet for air, how would a leak "anywhere" drain the tank?

The inlet is a dip tube that actually extends most of the way to the
bottom of the tank, so a water leak in the cold-water side of the house
plumbing plus an air leak higher up in the hot-water plumbing could
siphon almost all the water out of the tank.

And, of course, the tank itself (or its drain valve) could spring a
leak.

Dave