Posted to alt.home.repair

Default storm windows?

On May 25, 12:59*am, "rb" wrote:
We have single glass windows throughout the house. * Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. *Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? * Anything better?

Another possibility is to reglaze the windows with thermopane panels,
I did that with all my windows. But, if there is any air leakage
around the windows, the storm windows will cut down air infiltration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are
drafty in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that
this gives us some "dead" insulation space between the two window
panes.
Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

When I did it, it made a huge difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are
drafty in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this
gives us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

Only thing better is ot replace the windows with new. If you don't mind
ladder work, you can DIY them and save a bunch of money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote:

We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

What part of the world do you live in? What is worth doing in NY
isn't necessarily worth [money wise] doing in VA.

I'm down to 3 more windows in my once drafty 100yr old house. I'm
in NY- so we get some cold weather through the winter. I've been
replacing all of the windows over 25 years. All DIY- and really not
hard at all. [and all with "new construction" windows-- not just
replacement sashes or windows]

In the meantime. . . 25 yr old combinations storms/screens are next
to useless. Wooden storms are much better- but less convenient.
Inside storms are much easier and sometimes more efficient.

I've used lexan with magnetic strips, sheet plastic with double sided
tape, and heavy, insulated drapes. all were more efficient than
any outside storms I've used.

But double-glazed, high-r windows, properly installed are the best of
all. [and if you're farther north- triple-glazing might be the way
to go]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:59:29 -0700, rb wrote:

We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are
drafty in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this
gives us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

We have the same sort of setup; our "inner" windows are all French-style
with 8"x10" panes, storm windows are each just two large panes. All
wooden frames and surrounds, and they make the place darn cold in winter
(northern MN, so temps down to -30)

They're a total pain in the butt. They leak a ton of air around the
edges, they're hard to get in place or take out (I'm sure they were fine
when new, but years of slight settling of the house and lots of layers of
paint doesn't help), and it's a hassle swapping them in and out for the
mosquito screens twice a year and storing whichever I take out.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:

We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

Certainly it's cost effective. They don't cost much and are easy to
install. Make sure you caulk them to make them air tight. If you are
not mechanically inclined you may screw up their operation though.
I have used them on buildings but I have seen people to stupid to shut
them properly, sometimes haveing the bottom pane on the top or the top
only half shut. I, my self, removed my storm windows and installed
thermopane replacement double glazed windows with screens which I like
better. A little more cost. (actually a lot more cost).

--
If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either.
Signature file not found
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:
We have single glass windows throughout the house. * Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. *Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? * Anything better?

Consider the cost of installing the storms.

Then consider the cost of replacing the windows themselves.

Yes, the cost for new windows will be higher.

Now, consider the inconvenience of opening and closing the windows
with the addition of the storms, especially windows that are
obstructed by furniture.

I got so sick and tired of trying the raising the storms and lowering
the screens on nice days, then reversing the process on cool days or
when I wanted the AC on, etc. My storms/screens required 2 hands,
making it next to impossible to use them on windows that were
obstructed by beds, tables etc.

The huge convenience of being able to open the new windows with a
single hand is well worth the cost of new windows, not even
considering the overall increased efficiency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 12:09*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

I've never heard of anybody manipulating their storms so frequently.
Mostly it's storms down in the fall and storms up in the spring.
(The screens are fixed in place. Makes it a royal pain to wash
the windows.)

Although if we get a nice day in the winter, we might raise the
storms a few inches and blow some fresh air through the house.

We've got fairly old Andersen windows, probably installed some
time between 1985 and 1992.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

Can I assume you don't have central air?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:59:29 -0700, "rb" wrote:

We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

The only disadvantage I see is that for a while in the spring and
fall, the storm windows will be in there when I would like to have my
windows open. Or there won't be storm windows when it is still or
already cold out. I have storm windows that can be opened and shut
from inside the house; they just slide in a channel like the regular
windows do in the next channel. But even then I have this problem,
just not as much.

So in the late fall, I close the storm windows and then it's a
beautiful day or night and I want them open again and I'm too lazy to
get out of bed. (I can open and shut the main window by lifting my
arms over my head, but not the storm windows.)

(If you have to install the windows from the outside, you're very very
unlikely to take them out or put them in more than once for a season
change. even more likely to have to do this when it's already cold
and uncomfortable, but otoh, it should only take a few minutes.)

In the spring. It gets warm, then it gets cold again but the storm
windows are open and the furnace runs more than it would if the storm
windows were shut.

The altenrative is reglazing with thermopane, if possible and if there
are no other leaks which would remain unplugged, or all new windows
where the storm and reg. window open and shut together. Maybe I
wasted money by not doing this when I first got here 27 years ago.
I'm not sure.

Of course not every window in the house has to be done the same way.
In one room, I pretty much don't open the windows, so there is no
season change issue.

Also, storm windows keep in the air conditioning also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 4:45*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

@ Cindy:

This post adds some detail to what I was talking about earlier.

It's those change of season periods, especially here in the northeast
where you might want screens during the day, but need the furnace at
night. Just this month we've had a high of 85 and a low of 34. Heck,
it snowed on Mother's Day!

During AC season there's many a day (and night) when we want the
screens, but certainly periods where the AC is desired. Running the AC
with the storms up is pretty inefficient.

As I said earlier, being able to open any window - regardless of the
obstruction - with one hand, is not only very convenient, it's also
an economical advantage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 12:59*am, "rb" wrote:
We have single glass windows throughout the house. * Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. *Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? * Anything better?

Anything better? Probably any replacement window will have a better
air seal, air infiltration can cost you as much in heat loss as single
pane glass looses. www.energystar.gov should have work sheets to show
you what energy savings different types of window afford and the
payback for you. A Blower door test done for about 300 will show you
air exchanges per day and where the leaks are. The best would be a
triple pane with Low E argon but double pane is common , You realy
cant do worse than old window frame technology and the new glasses
made save energy winter and summer. You might find work sheets at
major glass manufacturers also. Run numbers and see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote
This post adds some detail to what I was talking about earlier.

It's those change of season periods, especially here in the northeast
where you might want screens during the day, but need the furnace at
night. Just this month we've had a high of 85 and a low of 34. Heck,
it snowed on Mother's Day!

During AC season there's many a day (and night) when we want the
screens, but certainly periods where the AC is desired. Running the AC
with the storms up is pretty inefficient.

Depends on how anal you want to get. I'm in the northeast also. Kitchen
window has the storm down from about the end of December to the beginning of
March. After that, some days we want to crack the window open while cooking.
Bathroom windows stay down longer, but they are the first two opened come
warmer weather. Some windows are never opened during the year so the storms
stay down. Yes, it probably does cost me an extra few bucks a year for
energy, but I'm willing to pay for convenience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
rb wrote:

We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

Certainly it's cost effective. They don't cost much and are easy to
install. Make sure you caulk them to make them air tight.

Uh, no, at least in my experience. No storm is completely air-tight,
especially after it gets a few years on it. You want weep holes on the
bottom so condensation can drain out. Previous Owner of this place
potted the northern-exposure storms with silicone. The gap between
window and storms had lots of black mold growing. One storm was so bad I
had to replace it- the el-cheapo replacement came with preformed weep
slots on the bottom edge. After four years, not a trace of mold in the
new window.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 10:29*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote

[...]

As am I...and by replacing my leaky storms and single pane windows I
get all the convenience I want *plus* I save money on my energy
costs. Eventually my convenience will be free.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 25, 11:46*pm, aemeijers wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
rb wrote:

[...]

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...052892,00.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

No, you cannot. We have central air. However, the storms stay up
all summer anyway.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

Cindy Hamilton- Hide quoted text -

So I gotta ask...

Are you throwing money away for the sake of convenience?

Don't take that the wrong way...it's a serious question. Why do you
run your AC with the storms up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

"Up", as in the "up position" or "up", as in "installed"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

"Up", as in the "up position" or "up", as in "installed"?- Hide quoted text -

Cindy originally said:

"Mostly it's storms down in the fall and storms up in the spring. "

I take that to mean "Up", as in the "up position", since the response
was related to my comments about raising and lowering the storms/
screens based on the weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 11:43*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
So I gotta ask...

Are you throwing money away for the sake of convenience?

Don't take that the wrong way...it's a serious question. Why do you
run your AC with the storms up?

I have a serious question for you:

Why do you waste hours fumbling with the storms to save a few pennies
on electricity during the summer cooling season?

First off you're trying to maintain a much larger temperature
differential, over 50 degrees, in winter versus 20 degrees or less in
summer.

In other words, trying to keep a house at 68 degrees when its 0
outside is a lot harder than trying to keep the house at 72 degrees
when it's 90 outside. In winter the marginal additional insulating
value you get from storms makes a significant difference but in summer
it does not make nearly the difference.

Second off, you're using a much more expensive fuel in winter (gas/
oil) versus relatively cheap electricity in the summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy originally said:

"Mostly it's storms down in the fall and storms up in the spring. "

I take that to mean "Up", as in the "up position", since the response
was related to my comments about raising and lowering the storms/
screens based on the weather.

I think you're talking past each other, was my point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 2:13*pm, wrote:
[...]

Huh? "Cheap electricity?" "Expensive gas"? What planet?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 26, 3:13*pm, wrote:
On May 26, 11:43*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So I gotta ask...

Are you throwing money away for the sake of convenience?

Don't take that the wrong way...it's a serious question. Why do you
run your AC with the storms up?

I have a serious question for you:

Why do you waste hours fumbling with the storms to save a few pennies
on electricity during the summer cooling season?

First off you're trying to maintain a much larger temperature
differential, over 50 degrees, in winter versus 20 degrees or less in
summer.

Depending on where you live.

Second off, you're using a much more expensive fuel in winter (gas/
oil) versus relatively cheap electricity in the summer.

Huh? No one uses electricity to heat their home?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message news:ebdf569b-c296-4679-8e73-
Are you throwing money away for the sake of convenience?

Don't take that the wrong way...it's a serious question. Why do you
run your AC with the storms up?

I have a serious question for you:

Why do you waste hours fumbling with the storms to save a few pennies
on electricity during the summer cooling season?

Umm, some of us with storm windows don't have AC in the first place. I'm in
upstate NY and the storm windows came off 2 weeks ago. It was 94 F today,
and believe me, it was brutal. I don't have AC in the house, just lots of
trees, fans, and open windows, and it was about 83 F inside. Perfectly fine.
My workshop, however, is attic space over my garage, and I have an AC unit
in the only window. It was over 100 F all day up there, with the AC running
full. Very uncomfy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 3:13*pm, wrote:
[...]

Hours? How many windows do you think I have?

P.S. I don't have storms anymore.

re"... to save a few pennies on electricity during the summer cooling
season?"

errr...why not? Are you suggesting that I just throw the money out of
the window...wait, I can't...they're closed.

Remember: "A Benny shaved is a Benny urned"

Look it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On May 26, 8:06*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Seems like there is some confusion in this thread between storm
windows and storm sashes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 2:13*pm, wrote:
[...]

Electricity is now about more than twice as expensive than Ng for all
the US by BTU output. There are electric furnaces and boilers, if it
was cheaper everybody would be converting to electric.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

Convenience. I look at it this way:

In the summer, the outside air is rarely more than 20 F hotter than
the inside air. Yes, I'm losing some, but I find it a tolerable
amount.

In the winter, the temperature is typically 40-50 F lower outside
than inside, and the winds are higher. I deploy the storms during
the winter both to save money and to decrease drafts in the house.

I'm just not a person to squeeze every penny until Lincoln squeals.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

....and that all makes sense.

Still, all things considered, I'm much happier with the overall
convenience (and efficiency) of the replacement windows.

It's not only about the "up/down" issue. Toss in the tilt-in cleaning
feature, the fewer surfaces that need to be cleaned, the ease of
screen removal for cleaning, the overall look, the efficiency, the
huge reduction in future maintenance, etc.

Keep in mind what started this thread: the OP asked about *adding*
storms.

My suggestion was to go one step further, forgo the storms and replace
the windows for all of the reasons stated above.

Now, in my case, I needed to reglaze most of my drafty single pane
windows, repair a number of screens, recaulk the aluminum storms,
paint the trim, etc. etc. I don't know the OP's skillsets, but I saved
a ton of money by replacing the windows myself. While it may have been
more expensive, I'm sure it was no more work to replace them than to
try and bring the old ones up to snuff.

For my money, I got more convenience, better efficiency and a much
better looking house. I just think that the OP should consider all of
the factors involved before he writes the check for *adding* storm
windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:59 am, "rb" wrote:

[...]

Hell, 25 YO Andersens are just getting broken in. I know personally
several houses with 50 YO Andersens that are still in fine shape. If you
must replace, at least get a quality brand, not some damn vinyl windows.

Unless the frames are rotted, those Andersens should be good for another
20-30 years with a little tune-up and maybe some fresh weatherstripping
where needed. And unlike most window companies, Andersen does make
repair parts available, and even replacement sash kits, for their old
windows. Very backward-compatible.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Hell, 25 YO Andersens are just getting broken in. I know personally
several houses with 50 YO Andersens that are still in fine shape. If you
must replace, at least get a quality brand, not some damn vinyl windows.

Unless the frames are rotted, those Andersens should be good for another
20-30 years with a little tune-up and maybe some fresh weatherstripping
where needed. And unlike most window companies, Andersen does make
repair parts available, and even replacement sash kits, for their old
windows. Very backward-compatible.

My parent's house (now brother's) has Andersens , now about 95 years
old. Nice crank-out wood windows on the dining room, but the corners of
the tapered square crank are wearing out. I wonder if they still have
new crank tools sitting in the warehouse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 7:42*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*aemeijers wrote:

Hell, 25 YO Andersens are just getting broken in. I know personally
several houses with 50 YO Andersens that are still in fine shape. If you
must replace, at least get a quality brand, not some damn vinyl windows..

Unless the frames are rotted, those Andersens should be good for another
20-30 years with a little tune-up and maybe some fresh weatherstripping
where needed. And unlike most window companies, Andersen does make
repair parts available, and even replacement sash kits, for their old
windows. Very backward-compatible.

My parent's house (now brother's) has Andersens , now about 95 years
old. Nice crank-out wood windows on the dining room, but the corners of
the tapered square crank are wearing out. I wonder if they still have
new crank tools sitting in the warehouse.

Do a web search. I replaced all of the casement actuators in my
previous house. It was an expensive proposition but a *lot* cheaper
than new windows.