Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default storm windows?

On May 28, 7:42*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*aemeijers wrote:

Hell, 25 YO Andersens are just getting broken in. I know personally
several houses with 50 YO Andersens that are still in fine shape. If you
must replace, at least get a quality brand, not some damn vinyl windows..

Unless the frames are rotted, those Andersens should be good for another
20-30 years with a little tune-up and maybe some fresh weatherstripping
where needed. And unlike most window companies, Andersen does make
repair parts available, and even replacement sash kits, for their old
windows. Very backward-compatible.

My parent's house (now brother's) has Andersens , now about 95 years
old. Nice crank-out wood windows on the dining room, but the corners of
the tapered square crank are wearing out. I wonder if they still have
new crank tools sitting in the warehouse.

Do a web search. I replaced all of the casement actuators in my
previous house. It was an expensive proposition but a *lot* cheaper
than new windows.