Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default storm windows?

LSMFT wrote:
rb wrote:

We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

Certainly it's cost effective. They don't cost much and are easy to
install. Make sure you caulk them to make them air tight.

Uh, no, at least in my experience. No storm is completely air-tight,
especially after it gets a few years on it. You want weep holes on the
bottom so condensation can drain out. Previous Owner of this place
potted the northern-exposure storms with silicone. The gap between
window and storms had lots of black mold growing. One storm was so bad I
had to replace it- the el-cheapo replacement came with preformed weep
slots on the bottom edge. After four years, not a trace of mold in the
new window.

--
aem sends...