Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default storm windows?

On Mon, 24 May 2010 22:59:29 -0700, rb wrote:

We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are
drafty in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this
gives us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? Anything better?

We have the same sort of setup; our "inner" windows are all French-style
with 8"x10" panes, storm windows are each just two large panes. All
wooden frames and surrounds, and they make the place darn cold in winter
(northern MN, so temps down to -30)

They're a total pain in the butt. They leak a ton of air around the
edges, they're hard to get in place or take out (I'm sure they were fine
when new, but years of slight settling of the house and lots of layers of
paint doesn't help), and it's a hassle swapping them in and out for the
mosquito screens twice a year and storing whichever I take out.

cheers

Jules