Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default storm windows?

On May 25, 1:59*am, "rb" wrote:
We have single glass windows throughout the house. * Darn things are drafty
in winter.

I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. *Idea being that this gives
us some "dead" insulation space between the two window panes.

Is going to storm windows a good way to go? * Anything better?

Consider the cost of installing the storms.

Then consider the cost of replacing the windows themselves.

Yes, the cost for new windows will be higher.

Now, consider the inconvenience of opening and closing the windows
with the addition of the storms, especially windows that are
obstructed by furniture.

I got so sick and tired of trying the raising the storms and lowering
the screens on nice days, then reversing the process on cool days or
when I wanted the AC on, etc. My storms/screens required 2 hands,
making it next to impossible to use them on windows that were
obstructed by beds, tables etc.

The huge convenience of being able to open the new windows with a
single hand is well worth the cost of new windows, not even
considering the overall increased efficiency.