Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default storm windows?

On May 26, 8:06*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 26, 3:13*pm, wrote:

On May 26, 11:43*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So I gotta ask...

Are you throwing money away for the sake of convenience?

Don't take that the wrong way...it's a serious question. Why do you
run your AC with the storms up?

I have a serious question for you:

Why do you waste hours fumbling with the storms to save a few pennies
on electricity during the summer cooling season?

First off you're trying to maintain a much larger temperature
differential, over 50 degrees, in winter versus 20 degrees or less in
summer.

In other words, trying to keep a house at 68 degrees when its 0
outside is a lot harder than trying to keep the house at 72 degrees
when it's 90 outside. In winter the marginal additional insulating
value you get from storms makes a significant difference but in summer
it does not make nearly the difference.

Second off, you're using a much more expensive fuel in winter (gas/
oil) versus relatively cheap electricity in the summer.

"Why do you waste hours fumbling with the storms..."

Hours? How many windows do you think I have?

P.S. I don't have storms anymore.

re"... to save a few pennies on electricity during the summer cooling
season?"

errr...why not? Are you suggesting that I just throw the money out of
the window...wait, I can't...they're closed.

Seems like there is some confusion in this thread between storm
windows and storm sashes.