Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adjusting Storm Door Closures

I just installed a storm door this weekend. The door came from the
manufacturer (ProVia) with dual closures, one for the top and one for
the bottom.

Here's the issue:

I can adjust the closures to smoothly close and latch the door with
the entry door open, but it "just misses" latching when the entry door
is closed.

It doesn't matter if I use the winter or summer hole in the door-end
of the closure or if the window is lowered exposing the retractable
screen. It just misses latching by about 1/8" if the entry door is
closed.

If I want it to latch (by itself) with the entry door closed, I have
to set the closures so that it slams when the entry door is open.

If I adjust the strike plate outward, then the door doesn't seal as
tightly against the weather stripping.

How do I find the happy medium between all of these variables?

BTW...since this storm door has retractable screens, there is really
no correct "seasonal" setting for the closure pin. The screens might
be used one day but not the next and could be exposed from 1/2" to 1/2
the door. I'm using the "storm in" hole since odds are there will
always be more window than screen.

vinyl siding door trim problems, retrofix to install storm door? Joe Home Repair 0 September 25th 08 12:21 AM
Storm door closer piston isn't holding to door properly trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 5 July 25th 08 12:21 PM
Replace Door, Storm Door, or just add weather stripping? Aaron Home Repair 0 February 20th 06 04:15 AM
Adjusting DG Door Sean Delere UK diy 0 October 26th 03 03:52 PM
adjusting refrigerator door Mike Salazar Home Repair 2 June 24th 03 03:14 PM