Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Adjusting Storm Door Closures

On May 24, 1:48*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I just installed a storm door this weekend. *The door came from the
manufacturer (ProVia) with dual closures, one for the top and one for
the bottom.

Here's the issue:

I can adjust the closures to smoothly close and latch the door with
the entry door open, but it "just misses" latching when the entry door
is closed.

It doesn't matter if I use the winter or summer hole in the door-end
of the closure or if the window is lowered exposing the retractable
screen. It just misses latching by about 1/8" if the entry door is
closed.

If I want it to latch (by itself) with the entry door closed, I have
to set the closures so that it slams when the entry door is open.

If I adjust the strike plate outward, then the door doesn't seal as
tightly against the weather stripping.

How do I find the happy medium between all of these variables?

BTW...since this storm door has retractable screens, there is really
no correct "seasonal" setting for the closure pin. The screens might
be used one day but not the next and could be exposed from 1/2" to 1/2
the door. I'm using the "storm in" hole since odds are there will
always be more window than screen.

Sounds like air is being trapped between the entry door and storm door
when trying to close, thus slowing down the storm door. Try pulling
down the screen a bit to have air escape when closing the door, or
perhaps adjust the weatherstripping at the bottom to have some air
escape.