Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne[_3_] Twayne[_3_] is offline

Default Adjusting Storm Door Closures

In ,
DerbyDad03 typed:
I just installed a storm door this weekend. The door came
from the manufacturer (ProVia) with dual closures, one for
the top and one for the bottom.

Here's the issue:

I can adjust the closures to smoothly close and latch the
door with the entry door open, but it "just misses"
latching when the entry door is closed.

It doesn't matter if I use the winter or summer hole in the
door-end of the closure or if the window is lowered
exposing the retractable screen. It just misses latching by
about 1/8" if the entry door is closed.

If I want it to latch (by itself) with the entry door
closed, I have to set the closures so that it slams when
the entry door is open.

If I adjust the strike plate outward, then the door doesn't
seal as tightly against the weather stripping.

How do I find the happy medium between all of these
variables?

BTW...since this storm door has retractable screens, there
is really no correct "seasonal" setting for the closure
pin. The screens might be used one day but not the next and
could be exposed from 1/2" to 1/2 the door. I'm using the
"storm in" hole since odds are there will always be more
window than screen.

Most doors, especially those with dual closers, pretty explicitly explain
the process. Also, at the end of the "throw", as the door approaches closed,
there is more pressure exerted; are you so far off you're not getting to
that point?
The comments about the trapped air of course are also all valid. I find
that it may take mine several seconds to actually latch if they don't make
it before the inside door closes, but they do make it. If there isn't enough
natural air escape, create some so the air can go outdoors. Makes it easier
to close doors, too, from the inside.

HTH,

Twayne`