Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Storm door closer piston isn't holding to door properly

The piston that closes my storm door is slipping.

The problem is on the side that attaches to the door. There is a
bracket that screws to the door. It's a standard part; it has
openings so that it can be screwed into the door in various positions.
The problem is that the two screws holding this bracket in place don't
"bite" tightly into the door. I can pretty much push them in or pull
them out by hand, and if I use a screwdriver, they just spin and spin
and spin. So, not screwed tightly to the door, this bracket just
slips when the door closes, and the door doesn't get pulled tightly
shut.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i/closeradjust.jpg by the way has a
photo of what I am talking about when I say "bracket" - that part on
the right with 5-6 overlapping holes and the screw in the fourth hole
from the left.

As my ignorant eyes see it, I have these options:

1. Get slightly larger (wider) screws, enabling a firmer "bite" in the
existing holes. Eliminates having to drill even more holes in door -
don't want it looking like Bonnie and Clyde car after all...

2. Since the bracket has several places where screws may go, just
drill a new hole in the door, same approximate real estate in the
door, and leave the bracket in the same position, just held down with
a different screw position.

3. Move the bracket a bit, drill new holes, use same old screws. This
may be an attractive option, because even though I have the piston
adjusted for the least resistance, the door doesn't always close all
the way. If I picked this option, would I move the bracket closer to
the hinges, or farther from the hinges/closer to the open part of the
door?

Comments or suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

As my ignorant eyes see it, I have these options:

Comments or suggestions?

Choose one of the above...

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
[...]

I can't tell from the photo, but is it possible that the bracket is in
the wrong place? What you say at number 3 above about the door never
closing all the way seems to support the wrong position theory.

My bracket is about in the middle of a 36" storm door and the door
closes smoothly, but it took a little work to set it right.

Why did those holes get too large to start with?

Poor screwing skills on your part (sorry couldn't resist) or maybe the
wrong position of the bracket puts a stress on the arm and the screws?

A door that is not plumb could present the same symptoms.

If any or all of this makes sense I would:

a) go with 3. - plus fill the old holes with proper material and
repaint the door.

b) or if the brackets are at the right distance you may have just to
work on the adjustment, fill the holes and re-use the same screws.

c) if the door is not plumb, call a handy man and let him earn his wage.
Could be a mortifying experience, but make sure to look at what he's
doing and how. If the guy is any good, you will be glad you spent the
money.

Good luck
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:57:22 -0500, Chris wrote:

I can't tell from the photo, but is it possible that the bracket is in
the wrong place? What you say at number 3 above about the door never
closing all the way seems to support the wrong position theory.

The door closes correctly 90% of the time. Sometimes there just
wasn't enough "oomph" to close it though.

Why did those holes get too large to start with?

No ideas. None. Possibly, the previous door hardware had larger
screws. I just drilled new holes, visibly smaller, and the screws
went in nice and tight. Hmm, it's a vinyl door - could the vinyl's
softness be a reason?

a) go with 3. - plus fill the old holes with proper material and
repaint the door.

b) or if the brackets are at the right distance you may have just to
work on the adjustment, fill the holes and re-use the same screws.

c) if the door is not plumb, call a handy man and let him earn his wage.
Could be a mortifying experience, but make sure to look at what he's
doing and how. If the guy is any good, you will be glad you spent the
money.

Good luck

What kind of "proper material" is there? I can't imagine anything
that would fill the holes strongly enough to hold screws tightly
enough against the force of the piston.

The door does close tightly now, although I wish I'd get a little more
resistance from the piston (that is, have the door "bounce" on the
piston once instead of just slamming shut).

My ineptitude at fixing things immunizes me against any mortifying
experience asking for help. Believe me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:57:22 -0500, Chris wrote:

I can't tell from the photo, but is it possible that the bracket is in
the wrong place? What you say at number 3 above about the door never
closing all the way seems to support the wrong position theory.

The door closes correctly 90% of the time. Sometimes there just
wasn't enough "oomph" to close it though.

So more strength from the piston should help close it all the time.

Why did those holes get too large to start with?

No ideas. None. Possibly, the previous door hardware had larger
screws. I just drilled new holes, visibly smaller, and the screws
went in nice and tight. Hmm, it's a vinyl door - could the vinyl's
softness be a reason?

Could be. Is it all vinyl or just a veneer on some composite board?
You might be able to fill the holes with
wooden toothpicks or wood fragments and a little carpenter glue

What kind of "proper material" is there? I can't imagine anything
that would fill the holes strongly enough to hold screws tightly
enough against the force of the piston.

Bondo, if it's all vinyl, Wood filler if it's wood inside. Also at a
hardware store you can find,
what's their name? These things are little strips of metal with a
bunch of holes on them.
Their surface reminds of a lemon peel or a cheese grater.

You cut one to size, stick into a damaged hole and reinsert the screw.
Guaranteed to never loosen again.
Find more and better suggestions he
http://www.findhomeanswers.com/do-it...-Yourself.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote

The door does close tightly now, although I wish I'd get a little more
resistance from the piston (that is, have the door "bounce" on the
piston once instead of just slamming shut).

Humm, something still not tight there. Could the piston be bad now?

My ineptitude at fixing things immunizes me against any mortifying
experience asking for help. Believe me.

Smile, thank you for the grins! I feel the same all too often as do most
here when approaching something they are not experienced with. Then again,
since I'm a girl, I never minded asking a guy 'how do I fix this
thingamajiggie'. Heck, sometimes he even buys me dinner while explaining it
all ;-)

Yeah, I'm wicked but be at ease, happily since married 23 years now to the
same fellow after showing him how to balance a checkbook. ;-) He's still
no good at that but we get along very well indeed.

Removing a door fitted with a door closer DavidM UK diy 5 November 28th 07 10:09 AM
Replace a closer for a storm door Anthona Home Repair 14 December 16th 06 10:23 PM
Storm Door Closer Herb S Home Repair 3 October 2nd 06 05:11 AM
Replace Door, Storm Door, or just add weather stripping? Aaron Home Repair 0 February 20th 06 04:15 AM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 10:58 AM