Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Sheet Rock in an Outbuilding?

On May 23, 10:59*am, "Robert Olin" wrote:
I was going to use osb in my well house/shop but it is up to $14.45 a sheet.
I can put in sheet rock for less than 1/2. *Question: *Will sheet rock be ok
in an unheated outbuilding?

Thanks,

--
Robert Olin
Bob's Water & Septic LLC

Given that environment you might find metal panels more suitable. They
are getting some sales traction in the box stores, so check prices.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 10:59 am, "Robert Olin" wrote:
I was going to use osb in my well house/shop but it is up to $14.45 a
sheet.
I can put in sheet rock for less than 1/2. Question: Will sheet rock be
ok
in an unheated outbuilding?

That is what is in my garage with no problems. It is ground gypsum mostly.
I put a coat of primer on it but never put a finish coat. Probably never
will. Oh, I did not tape and mud it either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On May 23, 10:59 am, "Robert Olin" wrote:
I was going to use osb in my well house/shop but it is up to $14.45 a
sheet.
I can put in sheet rock for less than 1/2. Question: Will sheet
rock be ok
in an unheated outbuilding?

That is what is in my garage with no problems. It is ground gypsum
mostly. I put a coat of primer on it but never put a finish coat.
Probably never will. Oh, I did not tape and mud it either.

Usually not recommended due to temp/humidity swings and the resulting
condensation. Even if it doesn't get wet to the touch, it can still soak
up moisture. Unless your well house/shop has stable humidity, the rock
will be prone to getting funky and soft after a year or three. The
exception would be arid climates, where nothing rots.

Like the other guy said, I'd recommend the stuff that they sell to line
pole barns with, even in preference to OSB, which likes to get fuzzy if
unfinished and damp, and sometimes has outgassing problems. Or even the
plastic-coated OSB they sell to skin cheap sheds with. Gotta look at the
long term, even if you have to put off the work awhile until you can
save up. No point in saving money now, if it costs you time and money to
rip it out and redo it in a few years.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

That is what is in my garage with no problems. It is ground gypsum
mostly. I put a coat of primer on it but never put a finish coat.
Probably never will. Oh, I did not tape and mud it either.

Usually not recommended due to temp/humidity swings and the resulting
condensation. Even if it doesn't get wet to the touch, it can still soak
up moisture. Unless your well house/shop has stable humidity, the rock
will be prone to getting funky and soft after a year or three. The
exception would be arid climates, where nothing rots.

Perhaps, but the climate in the detached garage is the same as my house
except during heating season. YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On May 23, 10:59 am, "Robert Olin" wrote:
I was going to use osb in my well house/shop but it is up to $14.45 a
sheet.
I can put in sheet rock for less than 1/2. Question: Will sheet
rock be ok
in an unheated outbuilding?

That is what is in my garage with no problems. It is ground gypsum
mostly. I put a coat of primer on it but never put a finish coat.
Probably never will. Oh, I did not tape and mud it either.

I was thinking about sheet rock without spackling, I wonder if my
insurance company would let it slide. Since I have fiberglass
insulation which states it must be covered to prevent fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

I was thinking about sheet rock without spackling, I wonder if my
insurance company would let it slide. Since I have fiberglass
insulation which states it must be covered to prevent fire.

That's what sheetrock is for - to suppess fires. As it heats, it release a
BUNCH of water.

That said, what's this business about fiberglass being protected from fire?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:

That said, what's this business about fiberglass being protected from fire?

Faced, undoubtedly; the facing isn't fire-safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Tony wrote:
I was thinking about sheet rock without spackling, I wonder if my
insurance company would let it slide. Since I have fiberglass
insulation which states it must be covered to prevent fire.

That's what sheetrock is for - to suppess fires. As it heats, it release a
BUNCH of water.

That said, what's this business about fiberglass being protected from fire?

I forgot to mention the paper vapor barrier. It must be covered. I'm
just wondering if they care if all the gaps are filled so fire can't
easily get behind the sheetrock.

Sheet Rock Screws B. Johnson Home Repair 6 April 29th 08 08:12 PM
Repairing sheet-rock Patch Home Repair 6 July 26th 07 02:48 AM
Sheet rock Tc DiVincenzo Home Repair 10 April 21st 06 12:30 AM
Sheet rock repair yaofeng Home Repair 8 November 4th 05 04:18 AM
Painting Sheet Rock. TURTLE Home Repair 19 April 11th 05 06:42 AM