Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Sheet Rock in an Outbuilding?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On May 23, 10:59 am, "Robert Olin" wrote:
I was going to use osb in my well house/shop but it is up to $14.45 a
sheet.
I can put in sheet rock for less than 1/2. Question: Will sheet
rock be ok
in an unheated outbuilding?

That is what is in my garage with no problems. It is ground gypsum
mostly. I put a coat of primer on it but never put a finish coat.
Probably never will. Oh, I did not tape and mud it either.

Usually not recommended due to temp/humidity swings and the resulting
condensation. Even if it doesn't get wet to the touch, it can still soak
up moisture. Unless your well house/shop has stable humidity, the rock
will be prone to getting funky and soft after a year or three. The
exception would be arid climates, where nothing rots.

Like the other guy said, I'd recommend the stuff that they sell to line
pole barns with, even in preference to OSB, which likes to get fuzzy if
unfinished and damp, and sometimes has outgassing problems. Or even the
plastic-coated OSB they sell to skin cheap sheds with. Gotta look at the
long term, even if you have to put off the work awhile until you can
save up. No point in saving money now, if it costs you time and money to
rip it out and redo it in a few years.

--
aem sends...