Posted to alt.home.repair

Default a simple pvc question

I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Charlie" wrote in message
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going
outside, but it made me curious.

Charlie

Probably because there is a potential for leakage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2010 11:57 AM, Charlie wrote:
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

I don't know but if I had to guess, it was due to liability. They could
be in for a pretty penny if that failed in a wall somewhere. If it
fails outside, so what?

Jay
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 11:35*am, Jay Hanig wrote:
On 5/12/2010 11:57 AM, Charlie wrote:

I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't *make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

I don't know but if I had to guess, it was due to liability. *They could
be in for a pretty penny if that failed in a wall somewhere. *If it
fails outside, so what?

Jay

ANything to do with Potable vs Not Potable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Charlie" wrote:
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

Who uses a garden hose indoors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 1:22*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Charlie" wrote:
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't *make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

Who uses a garden hose indoors?

I've used them indoors a few times. They're useful for flushing/
bleeding hydronic heat systems and water heaters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Charlie" wrote:
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

Who uses a garden hose indoors?

Anyone draining their water heater, hydronic boiler or similar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Charlie"
wrote:
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into
an irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end
male and female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going
outside, but it made me curious.

Who uses a garden hose indoors?

Anyone draining their water heater, hydronic boiler or similar.

draining my fish tank.

emptying a water bed.

when laying saltillo tile, saturating them with water can prevent them from
sucking the water out of the grout and staining the tiles. i've watered my
living room tiles using a hose (it helped that i replaced the baseboards
with cut saltillo tiles).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 11:57*am, "Charlie" wrote:
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't *make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

Charlie

Perhaps the garden hose barb is not an approved fitting for indoor
plumbing. Pvc is ok for potable cold water so that's not the reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On May 12, 11:57 am, "Charlie" wrote:
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

Charlie

Perhaps the garden hose barb is not an approved fitting for indoor
plumbing. Pvc is ok for potable cold water so that's not the reason.

No barbs involved. the non-hose end was a plain end that took cement.
I am not sure, but is the standard hose thread what is used on a washing
machine?
We only use cold water for the washing machine but the little label on both
pieces said outdoors only. Nothing about temperature or potable water.
That's why I raised the question. I can't think of why this application of
PVC would be any different than for other pieces. There are unions, for
example, that are essentially compression fit.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2010 2:22 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:
I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going outside,
but it made me curious.

Who uses a garden hose indoors?

I have two waterbeds in the house. Both require the occasional garden
hose but only every two-three years. The water within actually
evaporates through the pores of the mattress over a very extended period
of time.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 8:03*pm, "Charlie" wrote:
[...]

I believe your are correct, washing machine hoses are the same thread
as garden hoses. All white pvc is cold only so that's not it. So far
we have arrived at no explanation. I use that stuff all the time and
I've never encountered a piece that was marked that way. Our drip is
run from a regular irrigation system so I have to go from slip fitting
pvc to garden hose because the regulators and the 1/2" drip connectors
are garden hose threads. Where did you buy it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

They came from Lowes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 6:45*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

I think you have the answer right there. Do *not* use these things
for your washing machine hookup. They're not reliable enough. As
someone said, who cares of they leak (or rupture) outside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:31*am, "Charlie" wrote:
[...]

They came from Lowes.- Hide quoted text -

Strange, that's typically where my pvc comes from. I don't have a big
preference but the lowes are closer to me that the home depots. One
near my house and another between me and the office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

But if they were guarding against a washing machine installation I would
have expected "cold water use only"
This is a trivial problem, but when I saw the note it suprised me because it
did not make sense.
At least I am not alone.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 2:22*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
Who uses a garden hose indoors?

Two words: Redneck engineering.

I would not be surprised to find garden hoses in regular use inside
homes in such places as the kitchen sink, bathroom shower, etc.. There
are a lot of people who simply can't afford, or don't care, to "do it
right."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:19*am, "Charlie" wrote:
"keith" wrote in message

[...]

How would a "cold water use only" notice guard against use in a
washing machine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"keith" wrote in message

[...]

Or it could have said "not for hot water".
We only use cold water in our machine, but a lot of people do use hot water
in the laundry.
I did not even look at cpvc for my application as I have a box of pvc odds
and ends and just needed the hose connectors.

Simple electric question NB UK diy 5 December 30th 09 07:27 PM
simple electrical question RedDwarf Home Repair 10 March 11th 08 03:40 PM
Simple question about GFCI RedDwarf Home Repair 10 January 23rd 08 11:54 PM
Simple electrical question ** Frank ** Home Repair 18 July 18th 07 05:18 PM
help - simple electrical question Mr_Bill Home Repair 9 November 26th 06 10:42 PM