Posted to uk.d-i-y
NB NB is offline

Default Simple electric question

I have a slimline strip light. It stopped working recently.
Simple, I thought, I'll get another tube for it (and a spare).
However, they didn't work. So I checked whether power was
getting to it. It is and I've checked it's getting to both end
contacts.
This might sound simple but I don't understand. If both end
contacts are live, surely the tubes should work or are the new ones both
dud (highly unlikely). Any ideas please.
Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NB" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have a slimline strip light. It stopped working recently.
Simple, I thought, I'll get another tube for it (and a spare).
However, they didn't work. So I checked whether power was
getting to it. It is and I've checked it's getting to both end
contacts.
This might sound simple but I don't understand. If both end
contacts are live, surely the tubes should work or are the new ones both
dud (highly unlikely). Any ideas please.
Nick

Are you talking about a fluorescent tube or tungsten strip light (e.g.
shaving light).

If the former have you tried changing the starter?

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NB NB is offline

On 30/12/2009 16:52, Peter Andrews wrote:

Are you talking about a fluorescent tube or tungsten strip light (e.g.
shaving light).

If the former have you tried changing the starter?

Peter

It's called a batten (MLL10) and has a triphosphor tube.
There is no starter
Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NB" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 30/12/2009 16:52, Peter Andrews wrote:

Are you talking about a fluorescent tube or tungsten strip light (e.g.
shaving light).

If the former have you tried changing the starter?

Peter

It's called a batten (MLL10) and has a triphosphor tube.
There is no starter
Nick

I don't recognise the MLL10 but given that you have now effectively tried
three tubes it would suggest that there is a failure of the control gear
inside the fitting.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 16:56:28 +0000, NB
wrote:

On 30/12/2009 16:52, Peter Andrews wrote:

Are you talking about a fluorescent tube or tungsten strip light (e.g.
shaving light).

If the former have you tried changing the starter?

Peter

It's called a batten (MLL10) and has a triphosphor tube.
There is no starter

I've had a similar problem. You need to replace the fitting. I tried
to obtain new electronics but those in mine were not replaceable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/12/2009 16:52, Peter Andrews wrote:

Are you talking about a fluorescent tube or tungsten strip light (e.g.
shaving light).

If the former have you tried changing the starter?

Peter

It's called a batten (MLL10) and has a triphosphor tube.
There is no starter

I've had a similar problem. *You need to replace the fitting. *I tried
to obtain new electronics but those in mine were not replaceable.

Or the ballast. Ballasts are available for all the popular sizes.
Or it might be a bad endcap connector.

NT