Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default a simple pvc question

On May 13, 8:19*am, "Charlie" wrote:
"keith" wrote in message

On May 13, 6:45 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 12, 8:03 pm, "Charlie" wrote:

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

On May 12, 11:57 am, "Charlie" wrote:

I was assembling a little adapter to make tying a garden hose into an
irrigation system. I picked up to parts. Pvc slip to hose end male and
female.

They were both marked "outdoor use only".

Why? It doesn't make any difference to me because they were going
outside,
but it made me curious.

Charlie

Perhaps the garden hose barb is not an approved fitting for indoor
plumbing. Pvc is ok for potable cold water so that's not the reason.

No barbs involved. the non-hose end was a plain end that took cement.
I am not sure, but is the standard hose thread what is used on a washing
machine?
We only use cold water for the washing machine but the little label on
both
pieces said outdoors only. Nothing about temperature or potable water..
That's why I raised the question. I can't think of why this application
of
PVC would be any different than for other pieces. There are unions, for
example, that are essentially compression fit.

Charlie

I believe your are correct, washing machine hoses are the same thread
as garden hoses. All white pvc is cold only so that's not it. So far
we have arrived at no explanation. I use that stuff all the time and
I've never encountered a piece that was marked that way. Our drip is
run from a regular irrigation system so I have to go from slip fitting
pvc to garden hose because the regulators and the 1/2" drip connectors
are garden hose threads. Where did you buy it?

I think you have the answer right there. *Do *not* use these things
for your washing machine hookup. *They're not reliable enough. *As
someone said, who cares of they leak (or rupture) outside?

But if they were guarding against a washing machine installation I would
have expected "cold water use only"
This is a trivial problem, but when I saw the note it suprised me because it
did not make sense.
At least I am not alone.

How would a "cold water use only" notice guard against use in a
washing machine?