Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Selecting Lawn Mower's

Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:

Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

Toro could be overpriced. The cheapest will cut grass. My old
MTD runs good but has a Briggs motor which are all good.

I have a Toro big wheel self propelled. It's a heavy piece of
crap. I just use it for dethatching in the spring.

I prefer my Case riding mower.
--
LSMFT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-28, desgnr wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?

1989: Lawn-Boy's most formidable competitor, The Toro Company,
acquired it from Outboard Marine Corporation.

http://www.lawn-boy.com/about/history/index.html

Before that, Lawboys were bullit-proof. They were the most reliable
machines in our rental business. I suspect now it's a crap shoot as
to which is better.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

Hi,
I like Honda and Deere with Kawasaki engine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

Dump your money at the store and come home with a bright and shiney piece of
plastic. Admire the quality.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

Every mower is for a specific sized lawn. And each person decides how much
work they want to do to keep up their lawn. One man uses a push mower, one
uses a self propelled, and the other won't use anything but an overkill
rider.

I have a 20" Honda which does good for my tiny lawn. I love the looks of a
Husqvarna ZTR, and would even go through the extra work of planting 1,000
feet of sod to get one. ;-)

Self propelled lawnmowers and riders were NOT invented so one could finish
the lawn quicker, then go take a nap. They were invented so one could have
a bigger lawn. Fact.

Steve

visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for book

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-28, wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?

1989: Lawn-Boy's most formidable competitor, The Toro Company,
acquired it from Outboard Marine Corporation.

http://www.lawn-boy.com/about/history/index.html

Before that, Lawboys were bullit-proof. They were the most reliable
machines in our rental business. I suspect now it's a crap shoot as
to which is better.

nb

What ever happened to the Power Product? You remember knotting a rope to
start them? They were great 2 cycle mowers.

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

Whatever you can find on Craigslist for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 9:33*am, "desgnr" wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

The need for the self propelled (single speed or "Personal Pace")
feature depends not only on the size of your lawn but also on the
layout.

While you will certainly be less "tired" with a SP on *any* sized lawn
(incrementally) you also need to determine if it's worth it.

On my front lawn, with its long straight mowing pattern, it's a good
thing to have and worth the extra cost.

In my back yard, I don't use it because I'm mowing around curved
gardens, benches, a fire pit, walkways, the shed, etc.

There's not enough straight runs to justify using it. I'm always
backing up, turning, mowing in short in-out stabbing motions, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2010 9:33 AM, desgnr wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

Toro bought out Lawn Boy. Not sure of current quality. Toro quality had
slipped when I bought one many years ago so I went to Lawn Boy which was
better. Last year when my Lawn Boy went kaput, I traded it in on a Honda.

What you need depends on size and slope of lot. I'd say, if flat and
quarter acre or less, a push mower will be fine. Over an acre, you
might want a rider.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-28, Frank wrote:

better. Last year when my Lawn Boy went kaput, I traded it in on a Honda.

Popular Mechanics just did a self-powered mower shoot-out. Honda won,
hands down. Unfortunately, it cost almost twice as much as the next closest
mower, around $700. Yikes.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...garden/4349693

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?

I don't know. I have a Deere with the Kawasaki engine. Starts on the first
pull every time for years now.

Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

Size does not matter, layout does. My first mower was self propelled and it
was good for the long straight runs. It was terrible for the are around
object where you had to maneuver more. If you have a lot of gardens,
shrubs, etc. light is good. These days I don't much are either way as my
grandson does the lawn now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

On 2010-04-28, Frank wrote:

better. Last year when my Lawn Boy went kaput, I traded it in on a Honda.

Popular Mechanics just did a self-powered mower shoot-out. Honda won,
hands down. Unfortunately, it cost almost twice as much as the next
closest
mower, around $700. Yikes.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...garden/4349693

nb

Mine is a Honda, 22 years old, still starts on the first pull, maybe second
after sitting in the barn for 5 months during winter. Never had service
other than oil changes and blade sharpening. I may have cost a lot at the
start but it is saving me money now.

It replaced an old Sears "Eager-start" mower that was anything but eager to
start, it could take 10 - 15 pulls to start, and once hot it would not start
until it cooled down. Both were self propelled. I use a riding mower for the
main part of the lawns, the walk behind is for edging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-28, Frank wrote:

better. Last year when my Lawn Boy went kaput, I traded it in on a Honda.

Popular Mechanics just did a self-powered mower shoot-out. Honda won,
hands down. Unfortunately, it cost almost twice as much as the next closest
mower, around $700. Yikes.

Yeah...but.... I'm no fan of paying extra for a name & I'm tighter
than a frog's ass.[they're waterproof] But I bought a used Honda
Harmony several years ago & I'll be going that way from now on. [If
I ever need another mower. This one shows no signs of quitting.]

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...garden/4349693

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-28, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

But I bought a used Honda Harmony several years ago & I'll be going
that way from now on. [If I ever need another mower. This one
shows no signs of quitting.]

As a veteran Honda owner, I also can attest to their rock solid
reliability. Buying a used one is a great way to go.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

What belongs to the lawn mower?

The mower's deck? The mower's engine? The mower's rider? You
have to tell us what belongs to the mower.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"desgnr" wrote in message
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints:
---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 8:33*am, "desgnr" wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Lawn boy used to have 2 stroke engines that lasted nearly forever, I
have one from 1986 thats great and another 2 stroke from 2004 thats
needed a new electronic ignition and more. Then the motors were built
by Outboard Marine and they were made to last just like a boat motor,
now you get a B&S 4 stroke motor that wont last nearly as long , maybe
3-500 hours vs 2000 for the 2 stroke. Toro might also use the same
motor. I also have a 07 Personal Pace mower but it clogges on wet
grass bad and even new I could hear the main bearing knock under load,
but I like the infinite speeds. Honda has one at HD for 400$ that has
a 1-2000 hr motor. Kawasaki and commercial B&S motors on Cub Cadet
will last like a honda. If I were to get a new one today it would be a
400$ Honda. My Toro Personal pace I almost junked yesterday I was so
mad at its clogging while mulching, today I got some teflon spray from
Gunk made for lawnmowers and mine has gotten a reprieve from death.
Popular Mechanics magazine just did a review of many, including the
toro Personal Pace and the more expensive honda and other Honda
powered motors. For only 25$ more than the Toro you can get a long
lasting honda motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 8:33*am, "desgnr" wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

The review I mentioned might be from CR not Popular Mechanics
magazine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 9:33�am, "desgnr" wrote:
Which is better Lawn Boy or Toro ?
Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

First deteremine the size of mower you need. Then decide if you want a
self-propelled or not. After that, the only difference is how you
maintain it. If you take care of it (no matter what brand), it may out-
last you. If you don't take care of it, it doesn't matter what brand
you buy.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:33:35 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

Also i never had a SelfPropeled mower.
Are they for specific size lawns ?

Be careful with the Toyota.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_QyFlbA8w

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-28, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

But I bought a used Honda Harmony several years ago & I'll be going
that way from now on. [If I ever need another mower. This one
shows no signs of quitting.]

As a veteran Honda owner, I also can attest to their rock solid
reliability. Buying a used one is a great way to go.

After owning a bunch of cheap mowers, I broke down and bought a Honda two
years ago, when we moved into a new house. It's been well worth the $700. The
cut is much better than the Crapsman I bought in '93, it is a *superior*
mulcher (I've only had to bag once - this year I cut the long dead stuff), and
other than changing the oil and feed it gas, have done nothing to it. It
starts the first pull every time (important since the nanny state requires the
kill switch).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-04-28, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

But I bought a used Honda Harmony several years ago & I'll be going
that way from now on. [If I ever need another mower. This one
shows no signs of quitting.]
As a veteran Honda owner, I also can attest to their rock solid
reliability. Buying a used one is a great way to go.

After owning a bunch of cheap mowers, I broke down and bought a Honda two
years ago, when we moved into a new house. It's been well worth the $700. The
cut is much better than the Crapsman I bought in '93, it is a *superior*
mulcher (I've only had to bag once - this year I cut the long dead stuff), and
other than changing the oil and feed it gas, have done nothing to it. It
starts the first pull every time (important since the nanny state requires the
kill switch).

I find that 4 magnets (somewhat exotic ones from the milspec world)
stuck on the handle, are quite effective at holding that deadman switch
in the run position. An 12" cable tie holds that toe guard on the back
in the up position, so I can actually pull the mower backward more than
six inches. The nanny state can bite me- I don't mow barefoot, there are
no kids around, and I have been operating a mower over 40 years without
injuring myself.

Never thought of a magnet on the dead-man. It would have to be some magnet,
but it's an idea. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most people use a loop of rope. Slide the loop down the
handle when it's time to turn the mower off. As the loop
goes down the handle, the moving part can then lift up.

I'm still not sure what belongs to the lawn mower. At the
moment, we're discussing the lawn mower's handle.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Never thought of a magnet on the dead-man. It would have to
be some magnet,
but it's an idea. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 9:53*pm, Peabody wrote:
In article ,
says...

* 1989: Lawn-Boy's most formidable competitor, The Toro
* Company, acquired it from Outboard Marine Corporation.

*http://www.lawn-boy.com/about/history/index.html

* Before that, Lawboys were bullit-proof. *They were the
* most reliable machines in our rental business. *I
* suspect now it's a crap shoot as to which is better.

Indeed. *I just retired my 1979 Lawnboy 2-cycle, referred
to fondly as the "Evinrude." Only lasted 30 years. *:-) *

The replacement is a Troy Built push mover from Lowe's
Well it's just an MTD, but seems to be ok. *Ssomehow I
suspect I won't get 30 years of use from this one, but
that's ok because I won't last 30 years either.

For average or smaller, relatively flat lawns, I think a
push mower is the way to go. *Mowers are pretty light these
days, so it's not that much work to push them. *Plus, all
that self-propelled stuff is just nore stuff to break.

I wonder what a motor rebuild would cost, then get another 30.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 04:00:42 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Apr 28, 9:53Â*pm, Peabody wrote:
In article ,
says...

Â* 1989: Lawn-Boy's most formidable competitor, The Toro
Â* Company, acquired it from Outboard Marine Corporation.

Â*http://www.lawn-boy.com/about/history/index.html

Â* Before that, Lawboys were bullit-proof. Â*They were the
Â* most reliable machines in our rental business. Â*I
Â* suspect now it's a crap shoot as to which is better.

Indeed. Â*I just retired my 1979 Lawnboy 2-cycle, referred
to fondly as the "Evinrude." Only lasted 30 years. Â*:-) Â*

The replacement is a Troy Built push mover from Lowe's
Well it's just an MTD, but seems to be ok. Â*Ssomehow I
suspect I won't get 30 years of use from this one, but
that's ok because I won't last 30 years either.

For average or smaller, relatively flat lawns, I think a
push mower is the way to go. Â*Mowers are pretty light these
days, so it's not that much work to push them. Â*Plus, all
that self-propelled stuff is just nore stuff to break.

I wonder what a motor rebuild would cost, then get another 30.

My Briggs powered big-wheel 24" mower is, IIRC, 33 years old now and
still going stron - deck has been replaced with stainless steel,
tubular frame still as good as new. 20" BMX wheels have been replaced,
as have the smaller front wheels.
4HP horizontal shaft engine - carb's been rebuilt about 4 times
(integral to tank)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

(integral to tank)- Hide quoted text -

My 1973 3.5 briggs got maybe 4-500 hours then it had no power but no
smoke, maybe its because thats just when unleded came in and the
Briggs had the wrong valve seals. But my 86 Lawn Boy still has the
compression and seems like nearly new, first pull start even on first
spring firing last week.

Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 01:27 PM
Selecting a chuck Spinney Woodturning 15 January 7th 07 03:07 PM
Selecting a chuck Spinney Woodworking 5 January 6th 07 10:55 PM
Help with selecting a finish? nireedmot Woodworking 5 January 14th 06 05:41 PM
help in selecting welder Dan Metalworking 5 February 16th 04 05:37 AM