Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Selecting Lawn Mower's

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 04:00:42 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Apr 28, 9:53Â*pm, Peabody wrote:
In article ,
says...

Â* 1989: Lawn-Boy's most formidable competitor, The Toro
Â* Company, acquired it from Outboard Marine Corporation.

Â*http://www.lawn-boy.com/about/history/index.html

Â* Before that, Lawboys were bullit-proof. Â*They were the
Â* most reliable machines in our rental business. Â*I
Â* suspect now it's a crap shoot as to which is better.

Indeed. Â*I just retired my 1979 Lawnboy 2-cycle, referred
to fondly as the "Evinrude." Only lasted 30 years. Â*:-) Â*

The replacement is a Troy Built push mover from Lowe's
Well it's just an MTD, but seems to be ok. Â*Ssomehow I
suspect I won't get 30 years of use from this one, but
that's ok because I won't last 30 years either.

For average or smaller, relatively flat lawns, I think a
push mower is the way to go. Â*Mowers are pretty light these
days, so it's not that much work to push them. Â*Plus, all
that self-propelled stuff is just nore stuff to break.

I wonder what a motor rebuild would cost, then get another 30.

My Briggs powered big-wheel 24" mower is, IIRC, 33 years old now and
still going stron - deck has been replaced with stainless steel,
tubular frame still as good as new. 20" BMX wheels have been replaced,
as have the smaller front wheels.
4HP horizontal shaft engine - carb's been rebuilt about 4 times
(integral to tank)