Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LCD TV height

In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/2010 11:32 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

For sure, I don't know how the trend started to install them high but it
should be installed as you described.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:32:32 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

Yep, my wife wanted the TV mounted above the fire place, like so many home
shows have it. I vetoed that idea. Stiff necks are no fun.

I don't want it too low, either. It should be well out of the view of any
brick-a-brack on the coffee table, for example. I'd go to WallyWorld and
measure some stands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

I like mine up high because my nephew is 20 months and is fascinated by the
TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

True for monitors on a desktop, not so hard and fast for a large screen
on the other side of the room. In my case center of screen is maybe 54"
or so off the floor, because that is how high the cabinet I have is, and
the damn thing won't fit in the hole in the cabinet. Works out pretty
well, because I can see it over the other computer that would otherwise
be in the way. And when I am laying on the couch watching, which is
seldom, the angles also work out about right. Now in the other living
room, which I seldom use, the old TV is centered maybe 30" off the
floor, and I find it a little low. But again, that is the furniture I have.

When and if these glass TVs crap out and I upgrade to modern sets, I'll
have to get a decent lounge chair and do some experimenting to find the
optimal height for me. Maybe mount the wall mount on a vertical geared
track or something, so I can crank it up and down as needed? I know-
I'll buy a drywall lift at HF, ballast the bottom, and modify the cradle
to hold a VESA mount. :^)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:28:17 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

True for monitors on a desktop,

I like monitors positioned so my eyes are even with a point about 1/3 down
from the top. Most text is pretty close to this level and I can take in the
entire screen without moving my head. Our TV is a little higher, but we're
normally reclining some when watching.

not so hard and fast for a large screen
on the other side of the room. In my case center of screen is maybe 54"
or so off the floor, because that is how high the cabinet I have is, and
the damn thing won't fit in the hole in the cabinet. Works out pretty
well, because I can see it over the other computer that would otherwise
be in the way. And when I am laying on the couch watching, which is
seldom, the angles also work out about right. Now in the other living
room, which I seldom use, the old TV is centered maybe 30" off the
floor, and I find it a little low. But again, that is the furniture I have.

Too high, IMO. The top of our (46") TV is about that height, maybe a tad
lower, even.

When and if these glass TVs crap out and I upgrade to modern sets, I'll
have to get a decent lounge chair and do some experimenting to find the
optimal height for me. Maybe mount the wall mount on a vertical geared
track or something, so I can crank it up and down as needed? I know-
I'll buy a drywall lift at HF, ballast the bottom, and modify the cradle
to hold a VESA mount. :^)

Then you can put it on the ceiling, too.

Have you ever used one of the HF lifts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:28:17 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

[...]

I have mine mounted higher than usually recommended for two reasons.

1. I have a recliner, and my wife generally reclines on the couch
while watching. Both mean you are leaning back and having it higher
allows keeping the neck in a more neutral posture.

2. My wife and I both wear bifocals, and the set is far enough away to
use the upper (distance) part of the range. If the set was lower,
we'd have to tilt our head down to keep in good focus range.

My point is...situations and people differ. Best to find a way to try
a few heights before you mount it for good.

HTH,

Paul Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless you have no other option (ex mounting on top of fireplace) the
TV should be at eye level. I have my 42" mounted on the wall opposite
our sofa at eye level when we are sitting on the sofa, witha small 20"
high entertainment table on the bottom for the cable box,DVD etc. I
used a fixed wall mount since it sits closer to the wall. The optimum
viewing angle is directly center in front of the TV.
If you must mount higher than eye level, use a tilt-mount so you can
tilt the TV down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 25, 6:28*pm, aemeijers wrote:

When and if these glass TVs crap out and I upgrade to modern sets

Plasma TVs have glass screens. "Double" glass screen as a matter of
fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pl...omposition.svg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Apr 25, 6:28 pm, aemeijers wrote:
When and if these glass TVs crap out and I upgrade to modern sets

Plasma TVs have glass screens. "Double" glass screen as a matter of
fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pl...omposition.svg

C'mon, you knew what I meant...

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 25, 8:36*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Apr 25, 6:28 pm, aemeijers wrote:
When and if these glass TVs crap out and I upgrade to modern sets

Plasma TVs have glass screens. "Double" glass screen as a matter of
fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pl...omposition.svg

C'mon, you knew what I meant...

But some people don't know that. That is why they weigh so much more
than a LCD, plus the cabinets are made out of metal and not plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Ron wrote:
On Apr 25, 6:28 pm, aemeijers wrote:
When and if these glass TVs crap out and I upgrade to modern sets

Plasma TVs have glass screens. "Double" glass screen as a matter of
fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pl...omposition.svg

C'mon, you knew what I meant...

But some people don't know that. That is why they weigh so much more
than a LCD, plus the cabinets are made out of metal and not plastic.

To add, not nearly as much as a CRT flat screen though!

My 32" CRT flat screen weighs 145lbs compared to my 50" Plasma that
weighs 85lbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

And the distance should be about screen size x 2.5. With the old tube sets,
close was terrible due to the lines on the screen, but much less so with
LCD.

There is some information here but it is more to the home theater than TV in
the family room
http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...-distance.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

At that math, wouldn't the bottom of the screen be just above the baseboard?
I prefer mine up higher. And I'll tell the geek to put it just where I want
it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 25, 9:38*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

And the distance should be about screen size x 2.5. *With the old tube sets,
close was terrible due to the lines on the screen, but much less so with
LCD.

There is some information here but it is more to the home theater than TV in
the family roomhttp://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/Tv-viewing-distance.html

I agree with the first answer here.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5181251AAmgSoF

Just measured mine and my eye level is at 1/3 from the bottom of the
screen.

I'll never understand why people mount flat panels above a fireplace.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Apr 25, 10:22*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

At that math, wouldn't the bottom of the screen be just above the baseboard?

Only if you plan on sitting your TV on the floor, unless it's a RPRV,
of course.

I prefer mine up higher. *And I'll tell the geek to put it just where I want
it.

Steve

You need a "geek" to "setup" your TV?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Apr 25, 9:38 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:
How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from
sofa ?
People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

And the distance should be about screen size x 2.5. With the old tube sets,
close was terrible due to the lines on the screen, but much less so with
LCD.

There is some information here but it is more to the home theater than TV in
the family roomhttp://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/Tv-viewing-distance.html

I agree with the first answer here.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5181251AAmgSoF

Just measured mine and my eye level is at 1/3 from the bottom of the
screen.

I'll never understand why people mount flat panels above a fireplace.

Because most people USE their TV as a fireplace? Noise. flickering
light, sound, but nothing actually going on?

Because modern TVs look like framed pictures, so they automatically hang
them that way?

Because they spent too much time in airports, and think that is how
display boards are supposed to look- hung up high?

Most people have less than no clue about ergonomics.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Franklin wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:28:17 -0400,
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Higher than eye level is no good. Our 60 in. panel is at bit lower than
eye level in the family room. Any how we don't watch TV often. Even less
during summer. Too much things to do outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

At that math, wouldn't the bottom of the screen be just above the baseboard?

Not unless your chair is in a 3' deep hole in the floor.

I prefer mine up higher. And I'll tell the geek to put it just where I want
it.

g'head.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 10:36*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Apr 25, 6:28 pm, aemeijers wrote:
When and if these glass TVs crap out and I upgrade to modern sets

Plasma TVs have glass screens. "Double" glass screen as a matter of
fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pl...omposition.svg

C'mon, you knew what I meant...

--
aem sends...

Exactly; Better wording might have been 'Heavy CRT, glass tube, TV
sets' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you KNEW what was meant.

BTW agree with aemeijers ...... when our second
hand approx 37 inch TV that cost us next to nothing and which we
repaired some six or more years ago for four dollars does fail, it's
doing fine now, we may consider looking for a used LCD.

Much of the programming is (excuse the word) crap! And much of the so-
called news is just sensational one sided ranting and posturing! (And
probably lobbying!)

Fortunately TV is becoming available via the internet. So often as not
one can watch BBC World News and other national TV feeds (all in
English) that way.

For example there was virtually no coverage of the Chinese mine
flooding on North American TV. That was a case where 115 men were
rescued after EIGHT days in the flooded mine. And a total of over 200
were rescued in total, by over 1000 working above ground etc. Well
done!

And; oh yes. Put the TV at a comfortable height for your sitting and
viewing. Nothing magic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
[...]

I have a 47" LCD sitting on a TV stand that is the typical height,
probably about 20" high or so. I do most watching lying down on the
sofa, so find it great for that, and OK for sitting as well. I'm not
a big fan of mounting them on the wall and high, unless it's for an
application like a bedroom.

As for programming that;s available, I have Cablevision in the nyc
area and am very satisfied with the way HD looks and think there is
definitely enough HD out there to make purchasing a large screen HD
unit worthwhile. My next purchase I'm about to make is the new Tivo
HD personal video recorder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily
from
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

At that math, wouldn't the bottom of the screen be just above the
baseboard?

Not unless your chair is in a 3' deep hole in the floor.

I prefer mine up higher. And I'll tell the geek to put it just where I
want
it.

g'head.

Steve

Would the OP do the math, and see just exactly how high the bottom of the
screen would be above baseboard height for the center to be at eye level to
a person slouched in a chair, and get back to us?

As mentioned, mounting one low has the dangers of being within reach of
children. Animals sometimes attack TV screens, too, when a dog sound comes
out of the TV. I know mine will do it if it was within reach. He hears it,
and he goes ballistic.

But hey, to each their own. That's why they make measuring tapes.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com book coming soon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:50:59 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Ron wrote:
On Apr 25, 9:38 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:
[...]

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Because they spent too much time in airports, and think that is how
display boards are supposed to look- hung up high?

Most people have less than no clue about ergonomics.

Yep, SWMBO included. I did manage to filibuster that one.

Lathe Height [email protected] Woodturning 18 May 24th 07 05:13 AM
Bar Height The Medway Handyman UK diy 7 May 21st 06 04:14 PM
Low-height wardrobe? [email protected] UK diy 0 January 22nd 06 09:49 PM
fixture height [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 24th 04 12:57 PM
Lathe height Dave jackson Woodturning 9 October 12th 04 04:12 PM