Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LCD TV height

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:28:17 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"desgnr" wrote:

How high should i mount a 42 " LCD on the wall to view comfortabily from a
sofa ?

People tend to mount TVs way too high. Center of the screen should be
below eye level.

True for monitors on a desktop,

I like monitors positioned so my eyes are even with a point about 1/3 down
from the top. Most text is pretty close to this level and I can take in the
entire screen without moving my head. Our TV is a little higher, but we're
normally reclining some when watching.

not so hard and fast for a large screen
on the other side of the room. In my case center of screen is maybe 54"
or so off the floor, because that is how high the cabinet I have is, and
the damn thing won't fit in the hole in the cabinet. Works out pretty
well, because I can see it over the other computer that would otherwise
be in the way. And when I am laying on the couch watching, which is
seldom, the angles also work out about right. Now in the other living
room, which I seldom use, the old TV is centered maybe 30" off the
floor, and I find it a little low. But again, that is the furniture I have.

Too high, IMO. The top of our (46") TV is about that height, maybe a tad
lower, even.

When and if these glass TVs crap out and I upgrade to modern sets, I'll
have to get a decent lounge chair and do some experimenting to find the
optimal height for me. Maybe mount the wall mount on a vertical geared
track or something, so I can crank it up and down as needed? I know-
I'll buy a drywall lift at HF, ballast the bottom, and modify the cradle
to hold a VESA mount. :^)

Then you can put it on the ceiling, too.

Have you ever used one of the HF lifts?