Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noise from neighbors, solutions?

Hello All,

I'm glad to see this is such an active group! Hopefully someone here
can help me.

I live in a 121 home residential complex. It happens that a road runs
behind the row of homes in the complex where my house is. On that same
road outside the complex there is a small community of about 10 homes.
Unfortunately we hear everything and we are directly behind one of the
nosiest houses on the block. Ofcourse there is the party from time to
time which doesn't bother me too much but I can even hear my neighbors
having a conversation on their porch in regular voices.

To start our back wall is almost 2 meters high from the road. However
due to the fact that our property is raised up, on our side of the
fence we only see about 1 meter of this wall. On top of the wall I
have an arched iron fence that goes up another 2 meters in the middle
and about 1 meter on the sides where it attaches to 2 meter columns on
either side of the fence..

What do I want to accomplish:

- Reduce the talking I hear from these neighbors.

- Attempt to reduce the yelling I hear from the neighbors.

- Attempt to reduce the music when they have parties.

Really the only thing I cannot do is change the "architectural
harmony" of the complex, meaning I cannot remove the iron fence and
replace it with a solid structure.

In asking around I have found that these options might work for me:

1. Build a concrete block wall inside my property directly behind the
existing wall. The problem will be that unless I can get 2/3 of the
residents to agree to a slight modification of the architectural
harmony I cannot put the wall straight accross at the top, it would
need to follow the arch of the iron fence, so I would only gain a
meter of sound protection.

2. Build an iron frame, wrap both sides with 1" Concrete Board and and
fill it with Fiber Glass insulation.

3. Buy a ready made sound reduction solution (the ones they use to
block noise from highways) unfortunately this is quite expensive
because I live in Costa Rica and there is nothing here for that so
i'll need to bring it from the states and just the shipping will kill
me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Apr 16, 10:16*am, Nick Aron wrote:
[...]

==
Do what some merchants do in Edmonton AB to keep the kids from
overrunning their businesses at noon-hour...set up big speakers and
play "classical" music endlessly (trial basis only). Kinda like
fighting fire with fire. Maybe THEY will move or change their ways.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 12:16*pm, Nick Aron wrote:
Thanks in advance for your help!

You've only got two choices:

1. Learn to live with it. Unless you're a psycho nutcase that blows up
with rage every time you hear the slightest peep from the neighbors,
you will get desensitized to the noise and eventually it won't seem
nearly as loud as it does now.

2. Move. There is very little except enclosing your entire property in
a soundproof bubble that is going to get rid of the noise, or even
reduce it. If it's bothering you that much you shouldn't have moved
there in the first place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Are you trying to stop the noise that reaches you inside your house?
Or outside? There are a lot of soundproofing construction solutions
for inside but they tend to get expensive. Outside, probably hopeless
if you can't extend the barrier up any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:16:09 -0700 (PDT), Nick Aron
wrote:

[...]

Mask the sound with falling or spraying water features in your yard.

This is the common solution. You can't possibly block the sound. You
will need to mask it.

I believe you're right. I live on a street with outrageous neighbors, I turn
on fans and a noise machine at night. During the day, I turn the TV fairly
loud, but I'm moving in the not so distant future. Problem
solved...hopefully.

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 5:16�pm, Nick Aron wrote:
[...]

Double glazing reduces noise. If available in CR! Glass fibre reduces
high frequencies but noy low frequencys. Only ridgid dense materials
will do this. For interior walls you can erect another additional
wall accustically isolated from the existing wall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundproofing
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Water features in conjunction with a planting screen-wall which could be
a trellis with dense ivy or similar suitable to the area and climate.
The screen to block / absorb much of the sound and the water feature to
mask what sound does get through.

This is the common solution. You can't possibly block the sound. You
will need to mask it.

You can block sound (anti-noise), but it certainly isn't practical for
residential use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My buddy an electronic repair technician had a shop across the street
from a trailer park. A new couple moved in that fought all the time
usally after he had closed up shop and went home which was also at the
same location. One night he recorded the on going fight and then
played it back to them the next morning through 4000 watts of PA
system. He never heard another peep out of them.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nick Aron wrote in message
[Neighor's noise coming into backyard and over fence]

Unfortunately, you're going to have to fight the noise with a form of softer
noise: a bubbling fountain, a pond with a "waterfall," etc. Or you could
install an outdoor music system which will allow you to control what music
you do hear.

Of course a water cannon aimed square into the offenders' backyard might
have the desired affect as well. EG

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow so many replies. Thanks for your comments.

OK I'm not going to move, I didn't know the noise was a problem until
after I bought the house. How could you know such a thing without
living there? Sometimes you don't. None the less I'll NEVER make that
mistake again, even if I need to stay in the house for a night. Maybe
in a couple years I'll move when I can afford it.

The noise I'm trying to diminish is in my backyard. I have two huge
patio doors that I love to leave open because the fresh air that blows
in is very nice and refreshing.

The problem is not low frequency noise, the problem is with voices
which usually fall into the higher frequencies. I don't care about the
occasional bass that comes from them.

The problem is their talking and voices. They are lower income homes
and they will not co-operate. Their language is atrocious and I'm
about to have a baby girl whom I really don't want listening to those
things.

I can also put inside my property a concrete block wall right behind
the existing wall. I believe this is the best solution.

The other solution would be the steel frame and concrete board with
fiber glass. This would be cheaper than a brick wall.

I wish it would be as simple as recording and playing it back, people
here don't care. If they do care enough then they might end up
poisoning my dog or something else retarded.

I would certainly like to add a water feature in future and will
certainly look into that when I look at building a wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:46:18 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

Mask the sound with falling or spraying water features in your yard.

Good idea.

I believe you're right. I live on a street with outrageous neighbors, I turn
on fans and a noise machine at night. During the day, I turn the TV fairly
loud, but I'm moving in the not so distant future. Problem
solved...hopefully.

What steps are you taking to make sure your next home won't have the
same problem?

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On top of the wall I
have an arched iron fence that goes up another 2 meters in the middle
and about 1 meter on the sides where it attaches to 2 meter columns on
either side of the fence..

Maybe you can make a vinyl cover to go over the iron fence. I have a
vinyl cover, lined with a layer of flannel, for my lawnmower, which is
stored outside. I think the vinyl is heavy, but at least the
combination is.

You could have it made at a furniture upholstery shop, so that it
slips on, ties on to keep it from blowing away, but it could still be
removed. Maybe no one from your n'hood will complain. If they do,
maybe they will be sympathetic to your reasons. IF not, maybe you can
just put it on during particularly loud periods, and let those periods
get longer as no one objects.

Maybe you can get your side by side neighbors to agree that there is a
problem. Or maybe you can ask them if they have a problme, what they
do. Ask the next door neighbors if they would mind very much if you
put the covers on. People like to be asked. Next door n'bors are the
most likely to complain, but are less likely if they are consulted.
Mybe if you order covers for two houses at the same time, you'll get
them cheaper.

If you can get the fabric at a fabric store, and I know you can, you
can make them yourself. Just sew three sides of the rectangle, then
turn it inside out so the sewing is hidden. Like a pillow case. TWo
or four small grommets and some attrractive string, maybe long
buckskin shoe laces. It will be ornamental.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 2:20*am, Nick Aron wrote:
[...]

How does building an additional wall behind the existing one
not alter the "architectural harmony" and not require the uber
ridiculous 2/3 majority approval vote or whatever special act
of the homeowners congress to get permission ?

I wouldn't build that additional wall out of concrete, look at
the sound isolation barrier walls built along highways...
They are really tall and usually made of wood... It sounds
like your idea of building a slightly higher wall wouldn't bring
much of a return on the costs involved since it would still
not be tall enough to be an effective sound barrier...

Can you plant tall shrubbery along that wall without asking
the uber ridiculous 2/3 majority approval vote or whatever
special act of the homeowners congress to get permission ?
Short of building a much taller wall than you think you really
need, planting a thick barrier of dense trees along the noisy
property line is probably a better idea...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nick Aron" wrote

I can also put inside my property a concrete block wall right behind
the existing wall. I believe this is the best solution.

The other solution would be the steel frame and concrete board with
fiber glass. This would be cheaper than a brick wall.

You may want to do a little testing. Something as simple at putting
corrugated cardboard or a tarp over the fence may give you some idea if it
is going to work. If it does, you know to put a permanent barrier in place
or to plant some bushes along the property line. Bushes anywhere along the
sound path may help.

Sound can travel a strange path. Where I used to work, a fellow would play
a radio rather loud. He was working in an area about 8 to 12 feet from it
and needed it loud to hear over the machines. At the same time, in the
office 50 feet away and elevated 9 feet, it was heard loud and clear. I
suspect the voices you hear are traveling up a straight path right to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you hire a priest to visit, regularly? I notice people
swear a bit less around priests.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nick Aron" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
Nick Aron wrote in message
[Neighor's noise coming into backyard and over fence]

Unfortunately, you're going to have to fight the noise with a form of
softer noise: a bubbling fountain, a pond with a "waterfall," etc. Or you
could install an outdoor music system which will allow you to control what
music you do hear.

Of course a water cannon aimed square into the offenders' backyard might
have the desired affect as well. EG

How bout 150 db **sine waves**, from 6' Marshall amps??
DAT will clear out asshole neighbors, and virtually *all wildlife*, proly
rats AND roaches.

Choose yer frequency..... the right one will start shattering window glass.

No evil grin here.... ahm in the process of preparing for this..... for
the mutha****as who see fit to use 5 hp unmufflered leaf blowers, to blow
one effing leaf up the road, for five/six hundred feet.

Gotta be a penis-thing.....
--
EA

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like community living is not for you. Move to the country.
You'll hear frogs and birds, probably not any quieter, but maybe more
pleasant than neighbors. Certainly closing the windows will reduce
the "noise."

Heh, birds, esp. crows and bluejays, and a cupla night-time warblers (mebbe
they think it's the AM from the streetlights??) can drive you bonkers. I
imagine a persistent woodpecker is no joy, either.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:38:15 -0400, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Ranger" wrote in message
andwidth...
Nick Aron wrote in message
[...]

If I want anal vapor, I can just leave the bathroom fan off while taking
a good dump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 5:37*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You may want to do a little testing. *Something as simple at putting
corrugated cardboard or a tarp over the *fence may give you some idea if it
is going to work. *If it does, you know to put a permanent barrier in place
or to plant some bushes along the property line. *Bushes anywhere along the
sound path may help.

Sound can travel a strange path. *Where I used to work, a fellow would play
a radio rather loud. *He was working in an area about 8 to 12 feet from it
and needed it loud to hear over the machines. *At the same time, in the
office 50 feet away and elevated 9 feet, *it was heard loud and clear. I
suspect the voices you hear are traveling up a straight path right to you..

Ok this is exactly the and you nailed it right on..

What I'm trying to dampen are not LOUD out burst because I doubt I'll
ever be able to do that and in the event of we can close the doors and
windows no big deal, but for the other 95% of the time when it's just
voices I'm sure there is SOME type of solution that will help since
the sound is basically just traveling up and over my wall.

What I cannot do here is modify the architectural harmony that is
visible from the exterior. If I put up a wall and stucco it the same
color as the rest within my property it wouldn't be very noticeable
and therefor acceptable. Also remember that the cost of this work here
is not much in comparison to other countries maybe $1000 - $2000 USD
for the wall.

I do have a bunch of left over rubber (about 0.5 cm) thick from a
renovation I'm doing here at my house. I'm going to put that up on the
fence and see what happens. I have a feeling that this will help a
lot. Then I'll know if putting up a concrete block wall, concrete
board wall, or exterior drywall will help. I understand the denser the
product the more it will dampen. That's why I thought the block is
best and next up is the concrete board.

Thanks for the suggestion Ed.

Also thank you to everyone else for their comments. I will take them
all into consideration.

Regards, Nick
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

"Poor Mr. Flibbety Jib, with a rumble bumble bumble in his head.
We'll try the country life he said, we'll try it, we'll try it, and
maybe if we like we'll buy it."

I forget the rest of the words, I haven't heard them for over 50
years, but the gist of it is he moves to the country and the noises
there annoy him just as much.

This was a 78 rpm record thinner than the average 78 and the size of a
45 and I still have it in the next room, but no time to paly it right
now. It was probably a present in 1950 when I was 3.

Heh, reminds me of my foray to a an old family friend's 200 acre spread
upstate.
Man, all I did was run from goddamm dive-bombing deer flies.... holy
****.....

When I got back, I looked at the concrete underfoot in a kind of religious
ecstacy.....
I thought I was going to need stitches from those deer flies....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nick Aron" wrote in message
[...]

I vote for the landscaping solution and suggest you consider a clumping
bamboo. Most tropical bamboos are clumping types - you don't want the
running bamboo because it can get out of control. Something like Buddha
Belly bamboo or giant timber bamboo will provide a sound barricade and a
good-looking landscaping backdrop. It will not only be a sound barrier, but
also when there is any wind it sways in the breeze and sounds like soft
wooden wind chimes. Finally, in the unlikely event of a hurricane, it will
provide an excellent windbreak, bending but not breaking and providing some
protection for your property.

I planted the bamboo for other reasons, but have discovered it almost
completely blocks the sounds of noisy kids having a party at the swimming
pool next door. It also is a very restful appearance looking at it through
the patio doors to that side of the house. It provides a shaded area for
our orchid collection and is now home to many birds that nest and roost
there where they're protected from predators.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Is this of any use?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 5:33*am, harry wrote:
[...]

harmony I cannot put the wall straight across at the top, it would
need to follow the arch of the iron fence, so I would only gain a
meter of sound protection.

2. Build an iron frame, wrap both sides with 1" Concrete Board and and
fill it with Fiber Glass insulation.

3. Buy a ready made sound reduction solution (the ones they use to
block noise from highways) unfortunately this is quite expensive
because I live in Costa Rica and there is nothing here for that so
i'll need to bring it from the states and just the shipping will kill
me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nick

Is this of any use?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control- Hide quoted text -

Isn't it interesting (frustrating and possibly
unhealthy?)............... when we have neighbours that are noisy? But
in this instance only a little bit of noise at that? Nothing like the
noise 'cannons' at airports which scare away birds. Or living near a
busy 24 hour shipping/transportation area or highway sytem!

But in another case the neighbours can burn coal, emit noxious fumes
from millions of gasoline engines, overpopulate etc. causing products
which continuously blow into our part of the world, cause acid rain
which falls elsewhere and into the oceans, which are common to all;
and nothing is done about it!

In fact there are some who argue that such activity is having no
effect on the global climate?

Unfortunately Mother Nature will react and there will be cause and
effect; sometimes she has a sense of humour and the outcome affects
those who have caused the change. For example the melting of Arctic/
Antarctic ice caps is/will raise ocean levels, so that some areas of
the world will be under water before end of this century! That'll be
fun!

PS. Am not buying any beach front property; having seen, first hand,
the results of a tsunami!

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
On Apr 19, 5:33 am, harry wrote:
[...]

Heh! The melting of the Arctic ice cap will raise the sea level
(mumble-mumble, carry-the-three...), ah, yes. Exactly zero feet.

As for the Antarctic ice cap, you can add to your catalog of facts that the
melting will only affect those in the southern hemisphere (Australia, plus
parts of Argentina and Chile).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ask them to please tone it down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 2:34*am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 23:02:39 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
On Apr 18, 12:23*am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 00:52:22 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:

Can you plant tall shrubbery along that wall without asking
the uber ridiculous 2/3 majority approval vote or whatever
special act of the homeowners congress to get permission ?
Short of building a much taller wall than you think you really
need, planting a thick barrier of dense trees along the noisy
property line is probably a better idea...

~~ Evan

My house came with, not for noise reduction, but to delineate
boundaries, 5 privet bushes. *They grow up to iirc 4 feet higher every
year. Someone should look that up to be sure, but I think maybe it was
even more, a foot a month during growing season. *Maybe the first year
is slow before their roots get established. They require no
maintenance except trimming.

Hmmm. *There is more than one kind *"Privet shrubs reach a height of
4'-15" *I looked at a 4 sites and didnt' get the detailed description
I read somewhere before about growth rate, only "fast".

You can buy them cheaply online, but if it's anything like the cherry
tree I bought, it would be worth buying locally. They might start off
3 feet taller with a lot more roots. I'm not sure. *I didn't plant
these. * * But the cherry tree was just a stick 2 feet long with some
straggly roots. * At a local nursery they have them 3 or 4 feet tall,
full of branches and flowers and a root ball that's correspondingly
big. *Save at least 2 years.

When you are planting trees or shrubs for sound deadening
purposes you don't buy sticks and twigs and seedling plants...

That's what I'm saying.

You have to spend real money and buy nearly fully grown
specimens...

Well you can't buy 15 foot bushes, but you can get bigger than
whatever they send mail order.

~~ Evan

Where on earth are you from ? You can't buy 15' tall bushes
at Home Depot or Lowe's for $19.95 like the ones they sell in
the 2 gallon pots, but you can buy such plants all the way up
to fully grown trees at a true Nursery/Garden Center...

15' foot plants are really considered "medium" sized and can
be sold balled and burlaped... Think of REALLY big when
you imagine why Nurseries and Garden Centers need equipment
like this to transport plants they are selling or delivering...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_Spade

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 05:27:34 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

PS. Am not buying any beach front property; having seen, first hand,
the results of a tsunami!

Have a look at this. They survive Hurricanes since the 30's?! All
manner of activity. Note: Miami in the background horizon.

Pic:

http://www.stationr.org/water/log/ba...tiltsville.jpg

wiki: Stiltsville

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiltsville

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:13:33 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Heh! The melting of the Arctic ice cap will raise the sea level
(mumble-mumble, carry-the-three...), ah, yes. Exactly zero feet.

Every time you add a zero the 2 becomes more powerful! - Jethro Bodine

home generator noise and neighbors dbasedos Home Repair 36 February 11th 08 08:34 PM
Neighbors' door Dean Home Repair 30 January 23rd 07 03:25 AM
Odd Neighbors JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 8 May 30th 06 10:34 PM
What to do about bad neighbors mediate Home Ownership 0 January 27th 05 11:13 PM
Neighbors can be nice Kevin Woodturning 7 April 21st 04 12:58 PM