Posted to alt.home.repair

Default home generator noise and neighbors

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
dbasedos says...

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

"Sorry, I just looked up the local noise ordinances, and discovered I shouldn't
be doing this, so I'll stop. Hey I've stocked up on some beers and I can throw
some chicken and steak on the grill, c'mon over tonight."

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

I took my generator to a car muffler shop and had them weld on a motor
home/RV generator muffler. This quiets it down quite a bit, but still noisy.
Can get rid of more noise by sticking generator in an enclosure.

"dbasedos" wrote in message
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Banty wrote:

In article ,
dbasedos says...

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

"Sorry, I just looked up the local noise ordinances, and discovered I shouldn't
be doing this, so I'll stop. Hey I've stocked up on some beers and I can throw
some chicken and steak on the grill, c'mon over tonight."

Banty

Hi,
It depends on level of noise, and time of the day.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tony Hwang wrote:
Banty wrote:

In article
,
dbasedos says...

powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

It depends on level of noise, and time of the day.

What about "all night" was confusing time of day?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dbasedos wrote:
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Unless it is running an occupant's heart pump or something similar how
about respecting your neighbors and turning it off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 10:52*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Banty wrote:
In article ,
dbasedos says...

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? *Any good replys for said neighbor?

"Sorry, I just looked up the local noise ordinances, and discovered I shouldn't
be doing this, so I'll stop. *Hey I've stocked up on some beers and I can throw
some chicken and steak on the grill, c'mon over tonight."

Banty

Hi,
It depends on level of noise, and time of the day.

Some generators like Honda EU series you cant hear twenty feet away,
or you can put a real muffler on other units.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 2ZFrj.12085$Ly.10342@pd7urf1no, Tony Hwang says...

Banty wrote:

In article ,
dbasedos says...

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

"Sorry, I just looked up the local noise ordinances, and discovered I shouldn't
be doing this, so I'll stop. Hey I've stocked up on some beers and I can throw
some chicken and steak on the grill, c'mon over tonight."

Banty

Hi,
It depends on level of noise, and time of the day.

Yep - it's spelled out in the local noise ordinances. Well worth the OP looking
up - he can bet his neighbors have.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , George wrote:
dbasedos wrote:
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Unless it is running an occupant's heart pump or something similar how
about respecting your neighbors and turning it off?

Maybe it's running a sump pump, which is the main reason I use *my* generator.
I can tell you that my next-door neighbor was quite appreciative of my offer
to let him plug an extension cord into my generator so that he could run his
sump pump too; he figures that's a small price to pay for putting up with the
noise.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

During the Florida hurricanes in 2004 and 2005 when we didn't have power for
weeks at a time, I ran mine 24/7. I know it annoyed some of my neighbors but
I cut them off at the pass by storing their perishables in my fridge and
freezers. I let them cool off in my AC and let them cook on my electric
stove.

"dbasedos" wrote in message
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , George wrote:
dbasedos wrote:
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Unless it is running an occupant's heart pump or something similar how
about respecting your neighbors and turning it off?

Maybe it's running a sump pump, which is the main reason I use *my* generator.
I can tell you that my next-door neighbor was quite appreciative of my offer
to let him plug an extension cord into my generator so that he could run his
sump pump too; he figures that's a small price to pay for putting up with the
noise.

If its a residential area the simplest thing to do is to use something
beyond big box quality. You can barely hear the Honda portable
generators. If larger capacity the non big box version generac units are
quiet. There is a 20kw unit at a location where I work and you can
barely tell it is running from 20 feet away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dbasedos" wrote in message
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Depends on your reason for running it.

A good response is: "Would you like to plug in your refrigerator or freezer
until the power comes back on?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Edwin Pawlowski says...

"dbasedos" wrote in message
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Depends on your reason for running it.

A good response is: "Would you like to plug in your refrigerator or freezer
until the power comes back on?"

Yes, if it's a situation of a long-running power outage. But the OP didn't
mention that (seems one would...), and it would have to be a rather long one to
even come to seeking our advice. Plus, in such a situation many generators
would be running - and in my nieghborhood when there have been long power
outages there has been no issue with that occassional night use when everyone's
in the same boat.

But, yeah, if that's it, an offer to help out with said generator *might* help,
but he has to be careful not to come off like they guy who holds a loud party
and thinks the way to bring people over to his 'side' is by inviting them :-/

My bet this is more a situation like, he's camped out in an RV at a friend's
house and the neighbors are not happy about the generator. But he'd have to
come back and give more information.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:51:04 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

I took my generator to a car muffler shop and had them weld on a motor
home/RV generator muffler. This quiets it down quite a bit, but still noisy.
Can get rid of more noise by sticking generator in an enclosure.

Only if you supply a unrestricted air intake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can get rid of more noise by sticking generator in an enclosure.

As in up said neigbors rectum?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Banty" wrote in message
My bet this is more a situation like, he's camped out in an RV at a
friend's
house and the neighbors are not happy about the generator. But he'd have
come back and give more information.

Banty

That would **** me off. He can plug into the house in that case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dbasedos wrote:
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

yes, to the problem part, if one runs a very noisy unit at close proximity to
neighbor's house/bedroom window and does so especially without the courtesy of
knocking on their door "Hey, just kindly letting you know am having an issue ________,
thus need to run the gen at night, won't be running for more than ________, hope you
understand"

if said neighbor has lived there for any length of time and mutual respectful
relations are maintained "Hey there, how are you and do you need any help with that
______, I have some tools to assist you", then it would not be an issue

if no dialogue is maintained with neighbor, then it's high time to establish one, a
bottle of scotch or similar goes a long way to smooth over a non-maintained dialogue

place yourself in the position of the neighbor, are you the kind of neighbor in
attitude and demeanor he/she would wish to have? how would a neutral party(not someone
who knows you) evaluate the situation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 7:30*am, dbasedos wrote:
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? *Any good replys for said neighbor?

Cover the generator with blanket of egg paper cartons tied together
with string.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jerry" wrote in message
On Feb 10, 7:30 am, dbasedos wrote:
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Cover the generator with blanket of egg paper cartons tied together
with string.

And don't forget to keep the fire extinguisher handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Banty wrote:

Hi,
It depends on level of noise, and time of the day.

Yep - it's spelled out in the local noise ordinances. Well worth the
OP looking up - he can bet his neighbors have.

The local noise ordinance must give way to exigent circumstances.

If the generator is running because of a neighborhood power failure,
violation of a noise ordinance, designed for normal times, cannot be
sustained.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dbasedos wrote:

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Depends on when and why. If it's an emergency situation such as a power
failure, including those caused by say a tree taking out just the drop
to that house, they are generally exempt from any noise ordinances. If
they didn't pay their electric bill and were disconnected, that would
probably be a different matter entirely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:30:14 -0800 (PST), dbasedos
wrote:

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

I'm not a Psychologist, but I think your neighbor feels under
appreciated!

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Banty wrote:

Hi,
It depends on level of noise, and time of the day.

Yep - it's spelled out in the local noise ordinances. Well worth the
OP looking up - he can bet his neighbors have.

The local noise ordinance must give way to exigent circumstances.

If the generator is running because of a neighborhood power failure, violation
of a noise ordinance, designed for normal times, cannot be sustained.

Is that right? So if the power goes out, it's perfectly OK to keep your
neighbors up all night?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, if the power is out, anything goes, and the neighbors can **** off.

"dbasedos" wrote in message
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:23:31 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Banty wrote:

Hi,
It depends on level of noise, and time of the day.

Yep - it's spelled out in the local noise ordinances. Well worth the
OP looking up - he can bet his neighbors have.

The local noise ordinance must give way to exigent circumstances.

If the generator is running because of a neighborhood power failure, violation
of a noise ordinance, designed for normal times, cannot be sustained.

Is that right? So if the power goes out, it's perfectly OK to keep your
neighbors up all night?

The noise ordinance would be suspended; not the opportunity for the
neighbor too sleep.

OP could shut down the noise for a few hours, or more a day.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
The local noise ordinance must give way to exigent circumstances.

If the generator is running because of a neighborhood power failure,
violation of a noise ordinance, designed for normal times, cannot be
sustained.

Is that right? So if the power goes out, it's perfectly OK to keep
your neighbors up all night?

Yes, under certain conditions: For example you have a medical condition that
requires air conditioning, foodstuffs that risk spoilage, a business to run,
such as keeping up with your Ebay auctions.

It's a balancing test: your life, comfort, or livelihood vs. irritating your
neighbors (who might not even be home).

The neighbors beef is with the utility company, not you.

The utility company will promptly fix the problem by delivering ear plugs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Sounds like the original poster is inconsiderate ass, and needs to be
smothered with a pillow. And his generator thrown in the lake.

Well, you DID ask.

Some times there are reasons. During the last ice storm I ran mine
24/7. I did not need it for my house, but I was also supplying some
power the an elderly widow next door. She did not have any other
method of heat except for the stove top. I do run the generator in a
storage shed with the doors open. It ran like this for 3 1/2 days,
until they got the power back.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 22:12:04 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Basic courtesy to be as considerate as possible with the noise, at night.
Put the genny in some bushes, or make some kind of sound shelter, even if
it's just some cardboard and R-9 fiberglass.

Heck, just pipe the exhaust eight inches below lake level -directly
into the water. You will not need anything but pipe of size and elbow.

Amazing how quite. You can even see the exhaust bubbles burst

Boats. etc.. exhaust the same way with less noise.

Exclude air boats...

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

The noise ordinance would be suspended; not the opportunity for the
neighbor too sleep.

OP could shut down the noise for a few hours, or more a day.

Oren

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:18:14 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

The utility company will promptly fix the problem by delivering ear plugs.

Check THESE ear plugs; they go nice with the top hat.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/epa0182l.jpg

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 11:30*am, dbasedos wrote:
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? *Any good replys for said neighbor?

Hi,

We had a power failure just last night. None of my neighbours would
complain because they all had their generators going as well. I guess
it happens alot where I live so everybody has a generator.

I also think that if you have a gasoline generator, you would
probablly want to turn it off now and again. It is sort of expensive
to keep it running 24/7. A 7000w generator burns like a gallon of
petrol an hour. That is quite alot of trips to the petrol station,
just to keep the thing going. Also alot of refilling the tank etc.

Best, Mike.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
dbasedos wrote:

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

How about "Sorry about that, I won't do it again."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
The local noise ordinance must give way to exigent circumstances.

If the generator is running because of a neighborhood power failure,
violation of a noise ordinance, designed for normal times, cannot be
sustained.

Is that right? So if the power goes out, it's perfectly OK to keep
your neighbors up all night?

Yes, under certain conditions: For example you have a medical condition that
requires air conditioning, foodstuffs that risk spoilage, a business to run,
such as keeping up with your Ebay auctions.

It's a balancing test: your life, comfort, or livelihood vs. irritating your
neighbors (who might not even be home).

The neighbors beef is with the utility company, not you.

The utility company will promptly fix the problem by delivering ear plugs.

Nice guy. I'm glad you're not my neighbor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this the LDS approach to dealing with problems?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Yeah, if said neighbor keeps his generator on all night, he may come out in
the morning and find out someone poured gasoline on said generator, and
torched the damn thing up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Can get rid of more noise by sticking generator in an enclosure.

As in up said neigbors rectum?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
dbasedos wrote:

Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas
powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?

Depends on when and why. If it's an emergency situation such as a power
failure, including those caused by say a tree taking out just the drop
to that house, they are generally exempt from any noise ordinances. If
they didn't pay their electric bill and were disconnected, that would
probably be a different matter entirely.

You, of course, have documentation of this assertion applying to the whole
country/world/etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep. Anything goes.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've been meaning to practice trap and skeet. Pull!

I'm also been planning to practice my world war two airplane search light, I
just havn't got the elevation right. Mind if I shine in your window while I
try it?

I'm cleaning out my freezer, you don't mind if I dump about 300 pounds of
rotting beef at the end of the driveway, old chap? and then empty my RV
holding tank in your front yards?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus