Haas

Default How to quiet a home generator?

I have a 7KW generator that makes a hell of a racket on a cold frozen night
when the power is out. Is there a muffler kit that can be used on an air
cooled engine, if so what type or suggestions on how to quiet this thing.

Thanks

Richard J Kinch

Haas writes:

I have a 7KW generator that makes a hell of a racket on a cold frozen
night when the power is out. Is there a muffler kit that can be used
on an air cooled engine, ...

No. It's a 10+ HP engine with ONE CYLINDER running at 3600 rpm. No muffler
is going to stop the rattle, hum, and vibration.
TheKidd

Haas wrote:
I have a 7KW generator that makes a hell of a racket on a cold frozen
night when the power is out. Is there a muffler kit that can be used
on an air cooled engine, if so what type or suggestions on how to
quiet this thing.

Thanks

What you may want to try is building an enclosure that will house the
generator. The enclosure would be insulated, to dampen the noise.

The enclosure would have to be large enough to have at least a few inches of
room all around the generator. You'd also want to leave open one side of the
enclosure so that the exhaust had a place to go and also to prevent a fire.
You could then staple either insulation on the walls and cieling of the
enclosure or find egg-shell type sound proofing material to use. It will
not dampen the sound totally but could help.

-TheKidd

Art Todesco

I went to the auto parts store and asked for their smallest car muffler.
The generator exhaust port is a pipe thread. I connected a piece of
pipe and an elbow to go into the muffler. The muffler came with an
adapter which allowed a snug fit over the pipe. A clamp then held it
tight to the pipe. As for quiet, is isn't, however, it is much, much
quieter than before. Friends have said that this will put back pressure
on the engine and cause problems. It probably does, however, it seems
to run just fine .... maybe because the car muffler is for a much larger
engine than in the generator.

TheKidd wrote:
Haas wrote:

I have a 7KW generator that makes a hell of a racket on a cold frozen
night when the power is out. Is there a muffler kit that can be used
on an air cooled engine, if so what type or suggestions on how to
quiet this thing.

Thanks

What you may want to try is building an enclosure that will house the
generator. The enclosure would be insulated, to dampen the noise.

The enclosure would have to be large enough to have at least a few inches of
room all around the generator. You'd also want to leave open one side of the
enclosure so that the exhaust had a place to go and also to prevent a fire.
You could then staple either insulation on the walls and cieling of the
enclosure or find egg-shell type sound proofing material to use. It will
not dampen the sound totally but could help.

-TheKidd

m Ransley

Reducing noise will reduce your power out put. Talk to the
manufacturer . But so what , it is an emergency generator. Right ?
Noise should be expected in emergencys. maybe you worry to much, offer
your neighbor Free Power in an outage. I would not worry, either way.

NokNokMan

I personally would like to thank you for your consideration. Year before
last during the big Northeast blackout, four of my neighbors fired up their
generators. It sounded like pole position around here, and it was tough
enough trying to sleep without any AC or fans, let alone the noise.

"Haas" jentra wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a 7KW generator that makes a hell of a racket on a cold frozen

night
when the power is out. Is there a muffler kit that can be used on an air
cooled engine, if so what type or suggestions on how to quiet this thing.

Thanks

toller

Last April we had a blackout. From the foot of my driveway I could hear
someones generator at the end of the street (about a quarter mile away) but
I couldn't hear my Honda in my garage.
If someone near me ran one of those monsters at night... well, lets just
say that it is not necessary.

Sterling

When Ivan passed through Atlanta, we lost power for 3 days. ONE neighbor
fired up a generator every night and the rest of us were ready to lynch
them. It sounded like a huge aircraft engine was running.

Finally found out who it was and said that their noise was unbearable.
She slunk away saying the family had allergies and had to run the
dehumidifier. (And also the tv, microwave, stove, hair dryer...)

More power (literally) to the genny people, but if you could just make
them quieter it would take the sting out of the cold and dark for the
rest of us.

toller wrote:
Last April we had a blackout. From the foot of my driveway I could hear
someones generator at the end of the street (about a quarter mile away) but
I couldn't hear my Honda in my garage.
If someone near me ran one of those monsters at night... well, lets just
say that it is not necessary.

toller

"Sterling" wrote in message
When Ivan passed through Atlanta, we lost power for 3 days. ONE neighbor
fired up a generator every night and the rest of us were ready to lynch
them. It sounded like a huge aircraft engine was running.

Finally found out who it was and said that their noise was unbearable.
She slunk away saying the family had allergies and had to run the
dehumidifier. (And also the tv, microwave, stove, hair dryer...)

More power (literally) to the genny people, but if you could just make
them quieter it would take the sting out of the cold and dark for the
rest of us.

But that is my point exactly. The Honda is dead quiet; sometimes I have to
check to see if it is still running because I can't hear it inside the
house.
Okay, I can't run a hairdryer or oven, but who needs that stuff in an
emergency anyhow.

George

"Ish" wrote in message

I have wondered (and worried) about the noise and my neighbors also.
Here I am sitting watching baseball with my lights on while they were
sitting around in the dark.
Anyhow, I think I remember Home Depot selling a sound proof box with
exhaust during the Y2K scare. It wasmade with the sound dampening
type metal with holes, etc., like they use on the big air compressors
at construction sites.

It takes a lot more than a "sound proof box" to address noise from a cheap
3,600 rpm set. Even those packaged generator units they sell at home cheepo
are really noisy.

Does anyone remember more?

Mike

George

"Sterling" wrote in message

toller wrote:
Last April we had a blackout. From the foot of my driveway I could hear
someones generator at the end of the street (about a quarter mile away)

but
I couldn't hear my Honda in my garage.
If someone near me ran one of those monsters at night... well, lets

just
say that it is not necessary.

They do make them quieter but people buy the home depot class machines.
There is a 30kw generator where I work and you can hardly tell when it is
running.

Stormin Mormon

During the last power cut, I was careful to run my generator only during
"waking" hours. I live in a trailer park, and don't want to do that to my
neighbors.

My thoughts with the original poster's generator is to get a longer cord,
and put it out in some bushes. Auto muffler won't do much good.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
t...
I personally would like to thank you for your consideration. Year before
last during the big Northeast blackout, four of my neighbors fired up their
generators. It sounded like pole position around here, and it was tough
enough trying to sleep without any AC or fans, let alone the noise.

"Haas" jentra wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a 7KW generator that makes a hell of a racket on a cold frozen

night
when the power is out. Is there a muffler kit that can be used on an air
cooled engine, if so what type or suggestions on how to quiet this thing.

Thanks

Stormin Mormon

Yes, definitely don't want to be the only light on the block.

Sorry, don't know anything about a specific sound enclosure.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ish" wrote in message

I have wondered (and worried) about the noise and my neighbors also.
Here I am sitting watching baseball with my lights on while they were
sitting around in the dark.

Mike

Stormin Mormon

Did you tell her to put the generator in the cellar? After a half hour of
cabon monoxide, she wouldn't care about the dehum. And then call the morgue
truck.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sterling" wrote in message
When Ivan passed through Atlanta, we lost power for 3 days. ONE neighbor
fired up a generator every night and the rest of us were ready to lynch
them. It sounded like a huge aircraft engine was running.

Finally found out who it was and said that their noise was unbearable.
She slunk away saying the family had allergies and had to run the
dehumidifier. (And also the tv, microwave, stove, hair dryer...)

More power (literally) to the genny people, but if you could just make
them quieter it would take the sting out of the cold and dark for the
rest of us.

toller

I hope your garage isn't attached to your house. You're running the
risk of CO poisoning.

It is connected, but I leave the front and rear garage door open a foot for
ventilation. I have tried a battery powered CO detector on the floor a few
feet from the genny, but it shows nothing.
The Honda runs 8 hours on a gallon of gas. How much CO could it produce?

Jamie

I definitely produces enough CO to kill somone, because there are incidents
every year where people die after running them in their basements. A typical
car can probably idle for 8 hours on a gallon of gas ... but it sure doesn't
take that long for someone to kill themself that way!

I wouldn't take any chances - why not just build a little box with a roof
for it and stick it outside when you need to run it?

"toller" wrote in message

I hope your garage isn't attached to your house. You're running the
risk of CO poisoning.

It is connected, but I leave the front and rear garage door open a foot

for
ventilation. I have tried a battery powered CO detector on the floor a

few
feet from the genny, but it shows nothing.
The Honda runs 8 hours on a gallon of gas. How much CO could it produce?

Chris Lewis

According to TheKidd :

What you may want to try is building an enclosure that will house the
generator. The enclosure would be insulated, to dampen the noise.

The enclosure would have to be large enough to have at least a few inches of
room all around the generator. You'd also want to leave open one side of the
enclosure so that the exhaust had a place to go and also to prevent a fire.
You could then staple either insulation on the walls and cieling of the
enclosure or find egg-shell type sound proofing material to use. It will
not dampen the sound totally but could help.

To amplify a bit mo a recommended approach is to build a small enclosure,
with a couple of inches open at the bottom (all the way around), and a vent
at the top. Then line the enclosure with insulation. Make sure you have
SEVERAL inches of clearance all the way around the unit, and the bottom and
top vents are clear.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Jamie wrote:

I definitely produces enough CO to kill somone, because there are incidents
every year where people die after running them in their basements. A typical
car can probably idle for 8 hours on a gallon of gas ... but it sure doesn't
take that long for someone to kill themself that way!

I wouldn't take any chances - why not just build a little box with a roof
for it and stick it outside when you need to run it?

Or just hook up a vent for the damn thing...

Richard J Kinch

Jamie writes:

A typical
car can probably idle for 8 hours on a gallon of gas.

A car consumes more like 1 gallon/hour idling.

but it sure
doesn't take that long for someone to kill themself that way!

Only in Hollywood. It's not a "big nod" like in the movies.

CO emissions from cars are typically near zero. The CO2 will displace air
and suffocate you. But neither is particularly fast, and survival
instincts are hard to countermand.

Greg

but it sure
doesn't take that long for someone to kill themself that way!

Only in Hollywood. It's not a "big nod" like in the movies.

CO emissions from cars are typically near zero. The CO2 will displace air
and suffocate you. But neither is particularly fast, and survival
instincts are hard to countermand.

3 people died after the Charley storm in exactly this way, two separate
incidents. The gennys were in the garage
Jamie

My car consumes only about 2 gallons/hour driving 60 miles per hour (at
roughly 30 miles per gallon), with the engine at about 2800 RPM under load.
I would certainly expect it would do a lot better than 1 gallon per hour at
600 RPM with no load. Maybe you're driving a Ford Expedition.

CO doesn't exactly suffocate you. You make it sound like you'd need there to
be more CO than oxygen in order for it to kill you. According to this, you
body will always use CO before oxygen when both are inhaled.

And yes - it can kill you very quickly.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pag...CO/co_car.html

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Jamie writes:

A typical
car can probably idle for 8 hours on a gallon of gas.

A car consumes more like 1 gallon/hour idling.

but it sure
doesn't take that long for someone to kill themself that way!

Only in Hollywood. It's not a "big nod" like in the movies.

CO emissions from cars are typically near zero. The CO2 will displace air
and suffocate you. But neither is particularly fast, and survival
instincts are hard to countermand.

Chris Lewis

According to Jamie :
CO doesn't exactly suffocate you. You make it sound like you'd need there to
be more CO than oxygen in order for it to kill you. According to this, you
body will always use CO before oxygen when both are inhaled.

And yes - it can kill you very quickly.

Very small amounts of CO can kill you quickly.

"Near zero" CO emissions from cars can kill you if you're not ventilating
well enough. Starting a car in a closed garage and sitting in the
car to read a book is about the easiest and gentlest ways to die there is.

There are no "survival instincts" triggered by CO. CO2 triggers a
physiological reaction (you _know_ you're not getting enough
to breathe, because that's part of the active feedback of how your
breathing system works).

CO does not. It has no smell. You have no way of knowing it's happening
_unless_ it's accompanied by something else (like smoke). If you're
_expecting_ the smoke ("well, gosh darn it, there is a generator running
in the bathroom!"), well...

Your blood stream simply starts carrying less and less oxygen and you fall
asleep (if you aren't already). Then die.

More people died in the great ice storm from CO than any other cause.

Many of those were inadequately ventilated generators.

CO kills by preferentially binding to the haemoglobin in your red blood
cells _instead_ of O2, but your cells aren't interested in using CO.

It binds tightly enough that you do not get rid of it very fast.

Which is why a short exposure to CO can lead to a long recovery on pure
O2.

[In severe cases, they can resort to pure O2 in hyberbaric chambers. Above
about 30PSI, you don't _need_ haemoglobin in your blood stream to carry
enough O2 to stay alive long enough for the CO to eventually go away.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Richard J Kinch

Jamie writes:

CO doesn't exactly suffocate you. You make it sound like you'd need
there to be more CO than oxygen in order for it to kill you.

You didn't follow what I said, CO vs CO2.

Jamie

Sorry, my mistake. But regardless, CO can kill you very quickly... even from
a car, with a catalytic converter, and certainly from a generator which
probably doesn't have one. The risk should never be understated.

Jamie writes:

CO doesn't exactly suffocate you. You make it sound like you'd need
there to be more CO than oxygen in order for it to kill you.

You didn't follow what I said, CO vs CO2.

Richard J Kinch

Chris Lewis writes:

"Near zero" CO emissions from cars can kill you if you're not
ventilating well enough. Starting a car in a closed garage and
sitting in the car to read a book is about the easiest and gentlest
ways to die there is.

Bunk. The pCO2 respiratory stimulation will kick in long before integrated
pCO is enough to affect anything. Car exhaust is nearly pure CO2 and
steam, plus very tiny amounts of things like CO. As a suicide method, it's
absolutely stupid, because the mostly likely outcome is a brain-damaged but
still-alive subject.

The dose makes the poison. Your swell ideas about what happens given a
lethal dose of CO doesn't mean inhaling car exhaust will administer a
lethal dose. Citing unusual cases where it has happened is to commit the
fallacy of selection.
Richard J Kinch

Jamie writes:

Sorry, my mistake. But regardless, CO can kill you very quickly...
even from a car, with a catalytic converter, and certainly from a
generator which probably doesn't have one.

Yes, a 1-cylinder B&S/Tecumseh/Kohler/etc is typically far worse than a
modern auto engine as regards emissions.

The risk should never be understated.

I disagree. That philosophy leads to those user manuals that start with 10
pages of warnings that nobody reads. Rear-view mirrors that warn you about
things appearing smaller. Caution should be proportioned to risk. Cf the
boy who cried wolf. Probability, hazards, and risks are about the hardest
intellectual concepts going; we ought not to be burdening people with any
more than they need.
Steven Fleckenstein

Heck, I'd do it one better, save my pennies and buy a bigger , louder unit that
will get the point across.. just like SUV owners

More power (literally) to the genny people, but if you could just make
them quieter it would take the sting out of the cold and dark for the

Eric

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Jamie writes:

Sorry, my mistake. But regardless, CO can kill you very quickly...
even from a car, with a catalytic converter, and certainly from a
generator which probably doesn't have one.

Yes, a 1-cylinder B&S/Tecumseh/Kohler/etc is typically far worse than a
modern auto engine as regards emissions.

The risk should never be understated.

I disagree. That philosophy leads to those user manuals that start with
10
pages of warnings that nobody reads.

Rear-view mirrors that warn you about things appearing smaller.

You mean the ones that say: "Caution: Assholes in mirror are smaller than
they appear"?

Caution should be proportioned to risk. Cf the
boy who cried wolf. Probability, hazards, and risks are about the hardest
intellectual concepts going; we ought not to be burdening people with any
more than they need.

twstanley

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
During the last power cut, I was careful to run my generator only during
"waking" hours. I live in a trailer park, and don't want to do that to my
neighbors.

My thoughts with the original poster's generator is to get a longer cord,
and put it out in some bushes. Auto muffler won't do much good.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
t...
I personally would like to thank you for your consideration. Year before
last during the big Northeast blackout, four of my neighbors fired up their
generators. It sounded like pole position around here, and it was tough
enough trying to sleep without any AC or fans, let alone the noise.

"Haas" jentra wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a 7KW generator that makes a hell of a racket on a cold frozen

night
when the power is out. Is there a muffler kit that can be used on an air
cooled engine, if so what type or suggestions on how to quiet this thing.

Thanks

You can make a generator "bunker" with sandbags around the generator
to absorb and deflect sound away.

A larger muffler as mentioned previously would most likely help to
reduce exhaust noise, some type of enclosure could reduce the
mechanical noise.
Jamie

I agree with your sentiment. But I think it is irresponsible to (basically)
tell people that it's OK to run your car in the garage with the door shut
because the emissions are virtually zero. Did you read the link I posted
earlier, which contained a very revealing analysis of the amount of CO
produced by a car started in an enclosed garage? It does not support your
position that this is a negligible risk.

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
The risk should never be understated.

I disagree. That philosophy leads to those user manuals that start with

10
pages of warnings that nobody reads. Rear-view mirrors that warn you

about
things appearing smaller. Caution should be proportioned to risk. Cf the
boy who cried wolf. Probability, hazards, and risks are about the hardest
intellectual concepts going; we ought not to be burdening people with any
more than they need.

Doug Miller

In article , "Jamie" wrote:
I agree with your sentiment. But I think it is irresponsible to (basically)
tell people that it's OK to run your car in the garage with the door shut
because the emissions are virtually zero. Did you read the link I posted
earlier, which contained a very revealing analysis of the amount of CO
produced by a car started in an enclosed garage? It does not support your
position that this is a negligible risk.

Jamie, you have to remember that Richard comes from a planet where it's safe
to drink gasoline, but borax is a deadly poison. Just Google some of his
m Ransley

Enclosures can be built but need to be designed right and need more
than a few inches of airspace. The heat from the motor and exuast will
ignite wood. I use an 8x8 shed with some insulation at the roof and
leave the doors open and run a fan inside. Contacting a pro or the mnfg
is best.

Mufflers will work but will reduce power.

Sure Honda is the best but at 2.5-3x the price. But you do get what you
pay for, in voltage stability, reliability and quietness.

m Ransley

I ran my 7500w gen ten ft outside my house, my Co alarm tripped as the
wind was blowing fumes back in. Running it in an attached space is high
risk even with doors open. Best is a sepatate shed- garage with 20 -30+
ft proper cable.
Generators are inneficent engines and can at full load consume the same
15 hp it takes to power a small car at 55mph. Also most homeowner gens
run at a less efficient 3600 rpm rather than a cars, apx 1800 at 55 mph.

Richard J Kinch

Jamie writes:

I agree with your sentiment. But I think it is irresponsible to
(basically) tell people that it's OK to run your car in the garage
with the door shut because the emissions are virtually zero.

It would be irresponsible to twist my words to that effect.
Richard J Kinch

Doug Miller writes:

Jamie, you have to remember that Richard comes from a planet where
it's safe to drink gasoline, but borax is a deadly poison.

I explained how both are hazardous but by different routes, and not so
hazardous by others. A mocking response to this rather simple concept
betrays a childish habit of mind.
Chris Lewis

According to Richard J Kinch :
Chris Lewis writes:

"Near zero" CO emissions from cars can kill you if you're not
ventilating well enough. Starting a car in a closed garage and
sitting in the car to read a book is about the easiest and gentlest
ways to die there is.

Bunk. The pCO2 respiratory stimulation will kick in long before integrated
pCO is enough to affect anything. Car exhaust is nearly pure CO2 and
steam, plus very tiny amounts of things like CO. As a suicide method, it's
absolutely stupid, because the mostly likely outcome is a brain-damaged but
still-alive subject.

[Okay, I won't quote the only suicide that I'm personally aware of.]

Bunk still.

You're missing a critical difference between how CO2 and CO affects
the body.

CO2 _primarily_ works by simple displacement of O2, and at high enough
levels suppression of breathing (at mid levels it encourages breathing,
at very high levels it suppresses it).

If you remove someone from a CO2 situation short of brain damage occuring,
they recover pretty instantly.

In other words, CO2 in == CO2 out (more or less). The body is designed
to expell CO2.

In contrast, CO inhibits O2 transfer no matter how much O2 is in your
lungs. Not only that, it's expelled very slowly. It "bioaccumulates"
at any exposure level above a very low threshold. Once you've been
CO-poisoned, you have to have breathing support (ie: pure O2 or
hyperbaric) long enough for your body to have a chance to get rid of the CO.

Thus, in anything short of a perfectly sealed environment, it's VERY
common for the CO2 levels to never reach hazardous levels and being able
to survive it indefinately, but the CO level in the blood starts to
rise.

Thus, operating a gas generator for a long period of time (hours)
when there's the slightest exhaust leak to living areas is _extremely_
hazardous. Because the CO2 concentration (and smell) may never get
strong enough to do something about. But the CO level in your blood is
going up and up and ... even tho you're getting plenty of O2, your blood
doesn't want it. You die without even noticing, because you're breathing
acceptable levels of CO2.

Take careful note of the MSDS's and descriptions of CO2 and CO poisoning.

Notice how "shortness of breath" is _not_ a symptom of CO poisoning? That's
why it's so dangerous.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Doug Miller

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Doug Miller writes:

Jamie, you have to remember that Richard comes from a planet where
it's safe to drink gasoline, but borax is a deadly poison.

I explained how both are hazardous but by different routes, and not so
hazardous by others. A mocking response to this rather simple concept
betrays a childish habit of mind.

It is a fact that you once stated in this ng that the hydrocarbons in gasoline
are safe to drink.

It is also a fact that you claimed that borax is a deadly poison.

It is likewise a fact that when I posted LD50 figures that showed otherwise,
you claimed I was wrong, but never responded when challenged to provide the
correct figures.

In this thread you have claimed that the levels of CO in automobile exhaust
are not particularly harmful (I admit I'm paraphrasing, but I think I've
captured the gist of it).

If anything, your statements seem to deserve much more mocking than they have
received so far.
Greg O

Chris Lewis writes:

[...]

So in other words, a few years ago when I was working on a car, in a closed
shop, exhaust hose attached, but unaware of a hole in the exhaust, I should
have known sooner I was poisoning myself?? I realized that I was feeling
faint and headed out the door. I don't remembering even getting outside,
don't remember opening the heavy shop door. All I remember is a buddy that
happened to stop by, finding me sitting, passed out in a snow bank along
side the shop. If I had not caught myself feeling faint, or the shop door
was farther away, I would not be here today.
I noticed nothing untill I felt dizzy.
Greg

is there a whole-house automatic generator transfer switch? reality intrudes Home Repair 6 September 27th 04 12:04 AM
Replacement engine for Colemate Generator Robert Snyder Metalworking 12 August 23rd 04 04:31 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 06:24 PM
Factory built home vs. traditional site built home Todd Home Ownership 10 January 9th 04 02:23 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 17 December 8th 03 11:57 PM