Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Noise from neighbors, solutions?

On Apr 17, 2:20*am, Nick Aron wrote:
Wow so many replies. Thanks for your comments.

OK I'm not going to move, I didn't know the noise was a problem until
after I bought the house. How could you know such a thing without
living there? Sometimes you don't. None the less I'll NEVER make that
mistake again, even if I need to stay in the house for a night. Maybe
in a couple years I'll move when I can afford it.

The noise I'm trying to diminish is in my backyard. I have two huge
patio doors that I love to leave open because the fresh air that blows
in is very nice and refreshing.

The problem is not low frequency noise, the problem is with voices
which usually fall into the higher frequencies. I don't care about the
occasional bass that comes from them.

The problem is their talking and voices. They are lower income homes
and they will not co-operate. Their language is atrocious and I'm
about to have a baby girl whom I really don't want listening to those
things.

I can also put inside my property a concrete block wall right behind
the existing wall. I believe this is the best solution.

The other solution would be the steel frame and concrete board with
fiber glass. This would be cheaper than a brick wall.

I wish it would be as simple as recording and playing it back, people
here don't care. If they do care enough then they might end up
poisoning my dog or something else retarded.

I would certainly like to add a water feature in future and will
certainly look into that when I look at building a wall.

How does building an additional wall behind the existing one
not alter the "architectural harmony" and not require the uber
ridiculous 2/3 majority approval vote or whatever special act
of the homeowners congress to get permission ?

I wouldn't build that additional wall out of concrete, look at
the sound isolation barrier walls built along highways...
They are really tall and usually made of wood... It sounds
like your idea of building a slightly higher wall wouldn't bring
much of a return on the costs involved since it would still
not be tall enough to be an effective sound barrier...

Can you plant tall shrubbery along that wall without asking
the uber ridiculous 2/3 majority approval vote or whatever
special act of the homeowners congress to get permission ?
Short of building a much taller wall than you think you really
need, planting a thick barrier of dense trees along the noisy
property line is probably a better idea...

~~ Evan