Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Aron Nick Aron is offline

Default Noise from neighbors, solutions?

On Apr 17, 5:37*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

You may want to do a little testing. *Something as simple at putting
corrugated cardboard or a tarp over the *fence may give you some idea if it
is going to work. *If it does, you know to put a permanent barrier in place
or to plant some bushes along the property line. *Bushes anywhere along the
sound path may help.

Sound can travel a strange path. *Where I used to work, a fellow would play
a radio rather loud. *He was working in an area about 8 to 12 feet from it
and needed it loud to hear over the machines. *At the same time, in the
office 50 feet away and elevated 9 feet, *it was heard loud and clear. I
suspect the voices you hear are traveling up a straight path right to you..

Ok this is exactly the and you nailed it right on..

What I'm trying to dampen are not LOUD out burst because I doubt I'll
ever be able to do that and in the event of we can close the doors and
windows no big deal, but for the other 95% of the time when it's just
voices I'm sure there is SOME type of solution that will help since
the sound is basically just traveling up and over my wall.

What I cannot do here is modify the architectural harmony that is
visible from the exterior. If I put up a wall and stucco it the same
color as the rest within my property it wouldn't be very noticeable
and therefor acceptable. Also remember that the cost of this work here
is not much in comparison to other countries maybe $1000 - $2000 USD
for the wall.

I do have a bunch of left over rubber (about 0.5 cm) thick from a
renovation I'm doing here at my house. I'm going to put that up on the
fence and see what happens. I have a feeling that this will help a
lot. Then I'll know if putting up a concrete block wall, concrete
board wall, or exterior drywall will help. I understand the denser the
product the more it will dampen. That's why I thought the block is
best and next up is the concrete board.

Thanks for the suggestion Ed.

Also thank you to everyone else for their comments. I will take them
all into consideration.

Regards, Nick