Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New scam?

Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 7:31*pm, (Jack) wrote:
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V *Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

How do you "know" 12.57 is ok. What is 100% charge
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 8:31*pm, (Jack) wrote:
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V *Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

Even if the charge is bad it doesnt mean you need a new battery. Your
alternator could be bad and I dont think I would allow the guys down
at the oil change pit to diagnois this.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 7:31*pm, (Jack) wrote:
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V *Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

12.45 is 75% 12.65- 12.8 is full charge so if your battery tested
12.57 is near 90% and not fully charged indicating something is wrong.
it could be just dirty connections or a bad ground but you need a pro
to look it over not spiffy boob. If the caps can be removed testing
each cell is an important test. I dont think spiffy will do a proper
load test and look up the proper charts to figure it all out or look
for the easy fix since a new battery is all they want to sell. I
looked at buying wiper blades from them but it was an off brand with
no warranty against streaking, only tearing, so it is a worthless
warranty on an unknown blade and I passed. Most any good local
mechanic does this all for free or a very small fee, but your battery
is not 100% and is sulfating from being under charged, get a pro to do
it right for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

Does your battery start your car?

If it works, don't fix it!

If your battery gets to the point where it will not start your car, THEN do
some troubleshooting to find the problem which might be something other than
the battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New scam? (Quick! Replace your car battery! Now!)

Sounds like a scam, to me. I'm with you, Bill. Cleaning the
terminals and grease the terminals is a good idea. Ideally,
I like to replace a vehicle battery after 4 years, cause
that's how long mine typically last (4 years, and a couple
months). I magic marker the purchase date on the battery
itself.

I've replaced my own power steering fluid with a squeeze
bulb, get as much as I can, and put fresh transmission fluid
in its place. Do it again in a week or so, to get what dirty
fluid was trapped in the lines. Other than a leaky hose
losing fluid, dirty steering fluid has never troubled me or
any of my vehicles.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bill" wrote in message
"Jack" wrote in message
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your
power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show
you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and
Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600
calls for a new
battery?

Does your battery start your car?

If it works, don't fix it!

If your battery gets to the point where it will not start
your car, THEN do
some troubleshooting to find the problem which might be
something other than
the battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Bill" wrote in message

"Jack" *wrote in message
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your
power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show
you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V *Measure CCA = 388 and
Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600
calls for a new
battery?

Does your battery start your car?

If it works, don't fix it!

If your battery gets to the point where it will not start
your car, THEN do
some troubleshooting to find the problem which might be
something other than
the battery.

My battery is 9+yrs ('01 Buick), a Delco under the back seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "dadiOH" wrote:
Jack wrote:
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power
steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA =
600 (CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

No, because I can't read your damn light yellow type. I *could* if I wanted
to set "read all messages in plain text" but I don't.

Perhaps this wouldn't be a problem for you if you did either of the following
sensible things:
1) Use a real news client instead of Outhouse Express
2) Killfile anything coming from webtv.net on the grounds that only the
terminally clueless use webtv anyway
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bob Villa wrote:

My battery is 9+yrs ('01 Buick), a Delco under the back seat.

I bought an '84 Buick used in '91. Six years later, the battery failed. When I
removed it, I discovered that it was the *original* battery: the date code
stamped into the case showed it was made in November '83.

That was a Delco too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Did they say the air in your tires needed changing, too, and that they have
a special on that this week? Whenever the battery falls to that level, it
is for sure the air in the tires needs changing, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message

"Jack" *wrote in message
[...]

Hopefully that point will be in your driveway on a lazy Saturday
morning, and not when your wife or daughter has the car and can't
start it in a poorly lit parking lot late at night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Best advice I have heard. Why continue to aggravate yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

I ran into that.

They did a valid load test with a valid tester. However the test is
based on the CCA rating of the battery (a value that they enter). The
CCA entered was not the rating for my battery. GIGO.

May not be the same as what you saw.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
Jack wrote:
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

I ran into that.

They did a valid load test with a valid tester. However the test is based
on the CCA rating of the battery (a value that they enter). The CCA
entered was not the rating for my battery. GIGO.

May not be the same as what you saw.

--
bud--

Statistics can be found to support any conclusion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 7:31*pm, (Jack) wrote:
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V *Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

www.batteryuniversity.com will teach you all you need to know about
how to charge any battery and what kills them in charging and
maintenance of voltage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 04:34:15 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

"Jack" wrote in message
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new
battery?

Does your battery start your car?

If it works, don't fix it!

Yes, that's the right standard.

SCAM WARNING! successn08 Home Repair 0 February 20th 08 02:10 PM
Scam? The Medway Handyman UK diy 34 May 2nd 06 01:14 AM
What a Scam! Chris F. Electronics Repair 24 June 12th 05 06:03 AM
New scam? Gunner Metalworking 17 September 2nd 04 04:51 AM
Scam? Gunner Metalworking 11 January 29th 04 10:27 PM