Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default New scam? (Quick! Replace your car battery! Now!)

On Apr 16, 6:56*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sounds like a scam, to me. I'm with you, Bill. Cleaning the
terminals and grease the terminals is a good idea. Ideally,
I like to replace a vehicle battery after 4 years, cause
that's how long mine typically last (4 years, and a couple
months). I magic marker the purchase date on the battery
itself.

I've replaced my own power steering fluid with a squeeze
bulb, get as much as I can, and put fresh transmission fluid
in its place. Do it again in a week or so, to get what dirty
fluid was trapped in the lines. Other than a leaky hose
losing fluid, dirty steering fluid has never troubled me or
any of my vehicles.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bill" wrote in message

"Jack" *wrote in message
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your
power steering
fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)

A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show
you your
battery measures: volts = 12.57V *Measure CCA = 388 and
Rating CCA = 600
(CCA is cold cranking amps)

I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600
calls for a new
battery?

Does your battery start your car?

If it works, don't fix it!

If your battery gets to the point where it will not start
your car, THEN do
some troubleshooting to find the problem which might be
something other than
the battery.

My battery is 9+yrs ('01 Buick), a Delco under the back seat.