Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener -- update

Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2 HP
belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the outdoor
keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only need one
since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably install it next
weekend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably
install it next weekend.

Huh?? I don't put the cars in the garage.
Why a new opener?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably
install it next weekend.

That sounds like the one I installed here a year or so ago. You will
love the belt drive, it's very quiet. My brother who just installed a
Genie? screw drive heard mine and got ****ed off that his new one was so
much louder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably
install it next weekend.

Oh, be sure to reinforce the top door panel so if it ever gets stuck, it
doesn't bend the top panel in half. I still think the post about the
"burglar in garage" was a door that wasn't reinforced for the opener.
That story about burglars bending the top panel in half to get in
sounded a bit out there. It would have been hard as hell to do if that
door had been reinforced like it should have been, and the cop telling
the dumb story just puts the icing on the cake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably install
it next weekend.

Huh?? I don't put the cars in the garage.
Why a new opener?

You can put cars in there?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:04:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2 HP
belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the outdoor
keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only need one
since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably install it next
weekend.

Sounds good.

Can I have the other remote? I'd like to store a few things in your
garage sometimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably install
it next weekend.

Did one with my SIL. They are really quiet.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably
install it next weekend.

Huh?? I don't put the cars in the garage.
Why a new opener?

The usual reasons of course.

Picture Ed welding and filling the garage with smoke. Mrs. P. starts
screaming about the fumes. With one push of the button, the door goes up
and traffic noise drowns out the sound of Mrs. P's complaints and Ed can
finish running his bead.

Or picture Ed coming home with a new tool purchase. If he has to go into
the house and run the gauntlet, Mrs. P might use her womanly powers to
detect his purchase before he has the opportunity to take it out of the
package and get it too dirty for her to insist that he return it. The
garage door opener allows Ed just a little more time that he needs to
preserve domestic tranquility.

Besides being a really cool thing, wouldn't you want to have a garage door
opener?

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably install
it next weekend.

Huh?? I don't put the cars in the garage.
Why a new opener?

The garage is my shop and also has some storage. It is still rather
convenient to push a button and have the door open or close for you,
especially if it is raining or your hands are full. I can carry a box of
stuff from the garage to the house and then push a button to close the door.

Ever notice at the supermarket the doors open and close for you? Makes life
a little easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 4:51*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. *Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. *$198 *Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. *It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. *I'll probably install
it next weekend.

Huh?? *I don't put the cars in the garage.
Why a new opener?

The garage is my shop and also has some storage. *It is still rather
convenient to push a button and have the door open or close for you,
especially if it is raining or your hands are full. * *I can carry a box of
stuff from the garage to the house and then push a button to close the door.

Ever notice at the supermarket the doors open and close for you? *Makes life
a little easier.

If you have a pet or kids get the Electronic Door Eye, keeps pouchie
and baby from being squished. If its a 3 button remote it should do
X10, car 3 button remotes do X10

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain
1/2 HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with
the outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I
only need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll
probably install it next weekend.

Huh?? I don't put the cars in the garage.
Why a new opener?

The garage is my shop and also has some storage. It is still rather
convenient to push a button and have the door open or close for you,
especially if it is raining or your hands are full. I can carry a box
of stuff from the garage to the house and then push a button to close
the door.

Ever notice at the supermarket the doors open and close for you? Makes
life a little easier.

I was just curious. Reply makes excellent sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
If you have a pet or kids get the Electronic Door Eye, keeps pouchie
and baby from being squished. If its a 3 button remote it should do
X10, car 3 button remotes do X10

Neither applies, but the eye comes with it. I think they all have them now.
Yes, it is a 3 button.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
LouB wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain
1/2 HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with
the outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I
only need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll
probably install it next weekend.

Huh?? I don't put the cars in the garage.
Why a new opener?

Ya! Good question.

OP replied a few days ago.
IT's a workshop
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
LouB wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2
HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably
install it next weekend.

Huh?? I don't put the cars in the garage.
Why a new opener?

Ya! Good question.

Same reason you have an opener when you do put the car inside. It opens the
door at the push of a button.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain
1/2 HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably
install it next weekend.

That sounds like the one I installed here a year or so ago. You will
love the belt drive, it's very quiet. My brother who just installed a
Genie? screw drive heard mine and got ****ed off that his new one was so
much louder.

Both of mine are 25 year old chain drive. They are noisy as hell, but
when I replace them I want something noisier. I like to know when my
wife gets home... it gives me time to shut off the TV, get up off my ass
and look like I have been busy at something like emptying the
dishwasher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:03:19 -0700, Ned Flanders
wrote:

Tony wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain
1/2 HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the
outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only
need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably
install it next weekend.

That sounds like the one I installed here a year or so ago. You will
love the belt drive, it's very quiet. My brother who just installed a
Genie? screw drive heard mine and got ****ed off that his new one was so
much louder.

Both of mine are 25 year old chain drive. They are noisy as hell, but
when I replace them I want something noisier. I like to know when my
wife gets home... it gives me time to shut off the TV, get up off my ass
and look like I have been busy at something like emptying the
dishwasher.

A man who runs things around his house.
Dishwasher, clothes washer, dryer, lawnmower ect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Both of mine are 25 year old chain drive. They are noisy as hell, but
when I replace them I want something noisier. I like to know when my
wife gets home... it gives me time to shut off the TV, get up off my ass
and look like I have been busy at something like emptying the
dishwasher.

When my wife gets home the dog's ears perk up. A sure sign of
groceries and dog treats. That garage door is really quite.

She don't know the dog gives her away !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Quite, what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

When my wife gets home the dog's ears perk up. A sure sign
of
groceries and dog treats. That garage door is really quite.

She don't know the dog gives her away !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:
Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain
1/2 HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with
the outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I
only need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably
install it next weekend.

I can't fit any cars in my garage, but all 3 cars have remotes, besides
the keypad on the outside.
It's easier to put groceries in the house without using keys for the
front doors, or opening and closing them for multiple trips.
Also when backing out of the driveway and you notice you didn't close
the garage door, you don't have to drive back up and get out of the car
to close the door.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2010 5:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
If you have a pet or kids get the Electronic Door Eye, keeps pouchie
and baby from being squished. If its a 3 button remote it should do
X10, car 3 button remotes do X10

Neither applies, but the eye comes with it. I think they all have them
now. Yes, it is a 3 button.

Funny you should mention the eye:

I recently inherited a house that came with a two car garage, both of
which have electric garage door openers; neither equipped with the
sensor. I have a car, pickup truck and a motorcycle I keep inside and
naturally I wanted remotes for all three.

One opener is a Craftsman; the other is a Stanley. I went down to Lowes
and purchased an universal remote and an universal wireless keypad made
by Chamberlain. Programming the keypad made the remote stop working.
Reprogramming the remote made the keypad stop working. I had initially
placed the keypad on the larger side of the garage since it was the
natural point of entry... more room.

So I moved the keypad to the other side of the garage where the remote
and the keypad seemed to coexist peacefully. I patched the screw holes
with some wood putty.

So then I just had the remote on my motorcycle. When I programmed it,
the remote in the truck stopped working and vice versa. PITA. I looked
on Chamberlain's web page for support and found all kinds of information
about programming. Hell, I could program it; I just couldn't seem to
get them to be programmed at the same time. I called the number given
on the website and was treated to an audio version of the same
information given on the website. Playing with all the phone choices I
finally found one that seemed to lead to an actual person. I held for
40 minutes before I hung up.

In the meanwhile, I decided the problem had more to do with the original
remote than the universal, so I replaced it with yet another new
universal. BINGO! Now they all coexist as they should.

What does this have to do with the eye? Three days after I emailed
their support site with my tale of woe, they finally got around to
answering me. Due to the age of my garage door openers and the fact
that they didn't come with sensors, Chamberlain did not support those
products and strongly suggested I replace them both.

Well, they both work just fine. I live alone. I've had sensors in my
garage in Charlotte and found them to be a PITA as they seemed to work
too well. After waiting three days from an unresponsive support team
only to ultimately receive a blow off was too much. I sent them a very
nice FUVM note and when I finally do get around to replacing my openers,
it's not going to be with a Chamberlain product. I think I'll try
Overhead the next time.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

That is probably standard practice for all manufactures. Some 10 or 20
years ago a friend wanted me to fix his opener. I think it was Stanley.
I contacted them to obtain a schematic and I got the same exact answer
you got. I'm sure they are saving themselves against possible lawsuits
for when a kid gets hurt or worse on something they still offer support
for. It's not the manufactures, it's the sue happy people and lawyers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I bought one of those 3 button universal remotes. It cost me a little
over $25,000.00, but it did come with a free SUV (I have always been a
sucker for buying things that come with free bonus gifts).

I set it up to open both garage doors, but can't decide what to use the
middle button to switch on and off. I have a remote control power bar...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ned Flanders" wrote

I bought one of those 3 button universal remotes. It cost me a little over
$25,000.00,

The remote itself was cheap, but the weatherproof housing adds a bit to it.