Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best glue to reattach decals to child's trike

We bought a Radio Flyer twist trike for a granddaughter.

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-44...0316974&sr=8-1

Several of the reviews on Amazon said that the decals come off. Well,
ours just arrived and while putting it together, I happened to brush
my hand against one of the decals. It lifted completely off.

I checked the other decals (there are 8-10 in all) and they are all
barely stuck on. The decal itself looks like the soft stickers that
are sometimes used to adhere to glass -- the kinds that can be removed
and reattached, I think by static eletricity.

These are not exactly like that. They feel more like cellophane and
they do have some very weak adhesive on the back, but are easily
pulled off. They won't last a week.

I am wondering what kind of glue I should use to attach them more
securely? I am thinking contact cement. Is there something better?

The one problem is that some of them are used to cover the recess
holes where the thing is bolted together. I don't imagine ever having
to take it apart, so I'm not concerned about permanently covering up
the holes. In fact, I'm tempted to fill the holes with putty or wood
filler the lessen the chances of something punching through the decal.

Suggestions?

This sure ain't the quality of my little red Radio Flyer wagon about
50 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote the following:
[...]

Try some spray adhesive. Elmers makes one, as does 3M.
Check at your local Office Depot or Staples, maybe in an arts and crafts
store.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote the following:
[...]

3M - http://tinyurl.com/ycwvg92
Elmers - http://tinyurl.com/yj8mnjb
For Stephann King. I've been here a long time too.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote:
[...]

I would use a water-based clear coat to glue them on, followed by two or
three more coats for protection. Lacquer might work, but I'd be afraid
the decals would wrinkle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 14:58:58 -0400, willshak
wrote:

[...]

The "77" looks like exactly what I need and a lot less messy that
contact cement (I hope).

The chassis is plastic.

Thanks.

PS: Some of the decals are covering up recessed holes for the bolts
that hold the thing together. Do you have any recommendations for what
to use to fill those so holes won't get punched in the decal? I was
thinking of putty or caulking.

Do you have any recommendations for what to fill the holes with?

Elmers - http://tinyurl.com/yj8mnjb

I couldn't find as much info about this one, but probably roughly the
same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-44...00B6OY32/ref=s...

[...]

same.- Hide quoted text -

Apply the spray to the back of the decals that are on a large piece of
newspaper or other scrap paper. DO NOT spay the bike as the spray is
diffuse and would be very difficult to remove from around the decals
if you spray the bike and then apply the decals and try to remove the
excess. Trust me on this one!!!!

Fill the holes with almost anything that is possible to remove if
necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Two part epoxy in the stick form (like Billy Mays hawked), not the liquid.
The two part stick epoxy was around long before Mays hawked his brand.
Here's one, but you can get it in most hardware stores.
http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Pow-R-S.../dp/B001O93T0E

Do you have any recommendations for what to fill the holes with?

Elmers - http://tinyurl.com/yj8mnjb

I couldn't find as much info about this one, but probably roughly the
same.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's good advice and something that I was already planning to do.

I just finished the job. What I didn't expect was that because the
decals are very light, if I don't spray from directly over the decal,
the aerosol gust will lift the decal off the newspaper allowing some
spray to get on the paper under the decal and then onto the face of
the decal when it settles back down. I had a little clean-up to do on
the first decal.

I kinda wish this adhesive came in a bottle with a brush so I could
apply it directly to the chassis. Again, because the decals are very
flimsy (slightly stiffer than cellophane), the adhesive makes them
difficult to handle when wet.

Fill the holes with almost anything that is possible to remove if
necessary.

I end up using regular silicon sealer. I think some sort of
rubber-like putty would have been better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just finished the job. Thanks for the suggestion. This is a great
product. I'm sure I'll find a lot of uses for it around the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
We bought a Radio Flyer twist trike for a granddaughter.

I got my twins Radio Flyer tricycles when they were little, a severe
disappointment. A fine name in kids toys has been co-opted by Chi-com
manufacturing.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote:
[...]

The best site I've see for your question:

http://www.thistothat.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

-snip-

The best site I've see for your question:

http://www.thistothat.com/

Good start- but note what they say when one of the this's is plastic
"There are so many kinds of plastic its hard to give advice here that
applies to them all. If possible try a small test in an area that
doesn't show. "

I suspect those chinese trikes are that accursed polyvinyl that
*nothing* sticks to.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 08:28:05 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

-snip-

The best site I've see for your question:

http://www.thistothat.com/

Good start- but note what they say when one of the this's is plastic
"There are so many kinds of plastic its hard to give advice here that
applies to them all. If possible try a small test in an area that
doesn't show. "

I suspect those chinese trikes are that accursed polyvinyl that
*nothing* sticks to.

I have no idea what type of plastic it is, but the 3M 77 adhesive
recommended by willshak seems to have stuck very well -- at least for
1 day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

-snip-
The best site I've see for your question:

http://www.thistothat.com/

Good start- but note what they say when one of the this's is plastic
"There are so many kinds of plastic its hard to give advice here that
applies to them all. If possible try a small test in an area that
doesn't show. "

I suspect those chinese trikes are that accursed polyvinyl that
*nothing* sticks to.

Jim

It's probably high density polyethylene, "HDPE". You might
look up what sort of glue would be good for that. Look for
a marking somewhere on the item. I'm not sure if it's a
government requirement or not but I see most plastic items
with a molded in script indicating what it's made of.

TDD

Reattach vinyl siding grodenhiATgmailDOTcom Home Repair 12 December 6th 07 08:13 PM
Decals RW Parker Woodworking 5 March 15th 07 04:59 AM
DECALS J T Woodworking 5 May 17th 06 08:48 PM
Decals Norvin (remove SPAM) Woodworking 7 May 25th 05 02:58 PM
Bent trike Suz UK diy 2 December 20th 04 02:50 AM