Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Best glue to reattach decals to child's trike

Prof Wonmug wrote the following:
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 14:58:58 -0400, willshak
wrote:

willshak wrote the following:

Prof Wonmug wrote the following:

We bought a Radio Flyer twist trike for a granddaughter.
http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-44...0316974&sr=8-1

Several of the reviews on Amazon said that the decals come off. Well,
ours just arrived and while putting it together, I happened to brush
my hand against one of the decals. It lifted completely off.

I checked the other decals (there are 8-10 in all) and they are all
barely stuck on. The decal itself looks like the soft stickers that
are sometimes used to adhere to glass -- the kinds that can be removed
and reattached, I think by static eletricity.
These are not exactly like that. They feel more like cellophane and
they do have some very weak adhesive on the back, but are easily
pulled off. They won't last a week.

I am wondering what kind of glue I should use to attach them more
securely? I am thinking contact cement. Is there something better?

The one problem is that some of them are used to cover the recess
holes where the thing is bolted together. I don't imagine ever having
to take it apart, so I'm not concerned about permanently covering up
the holes. In fact, I'm tempted to fill the holes with putty or wood
filler the lessen the chances of something punching through the decal.

Suggestions?

This sure ain't the quality of my little red Radio Flyer wagon about
50 years ago.

Try some spray adhesive. Elmers makes one, as does 3M.
Check at your local Office Depot or Staples, maybe in an arts and
crafts store.

3M - http://tinyurl.com/ycwvg92

The "77" looks like exactly what I need and a lot less messy that
contact cement (I hope).

The chassis is plastic.

Thanks.

PS: Some of the decals are covering up recessed holes for the bolts
that hold the thing together. Do you have any recommendations for what
to use to fill those so holes won't get punched in the decal? I was
thinking of putty or caulking.

Two part epoxy in the stick form (like Billy Mays hawked), not the liquid.
The two part stick epoxy was around long before Mays hawked his brand.
Here's one, but you can get it in most hardware stores.
http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-Pow-R-S.../dp/B001O93T0E

Do you have any recommendations for what to fill the holes with?

Elmers - http://tinyurl.com/yj8mnjb

I couldn't find as much info about this one, but probably roughly the
same.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY