Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wacker pump as a sump solution?

I have a house that is built on solid ledge and I'm getting a lot of
water lately with all these storms in the northeast. Putting in sump
pump will be very difficult to say the least. I can break up he
concrete, but then I'm at the ledge so I only can go down about 4 in.
I just rented a Wacker PS400 pump from HD and it worked great to get
rid of the bulk of the water. This is not a finished basement so I'm
not after total protection. Can something like this be used in lieu
of a sump pump? I can't tell if it is auto sensing or not and if it
will come on automatically, or if a switch could be rigged up
somehow..

-Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 4:33*am, jtpr wrote:
I have a house that is built on solid ledge and I'm getting a lot of
water lately with all these storms in the northeast. *Putting in *sump
pump will be very difficult to say the least. *I can break up he
concrete, but then I'm at the ledge so I only can go down about 4 in.
I just rented a Wacker PS400 pump from HD and it worked great to get
rid of the bulk of the water. *This is not a finished basement so I'm
not after total protection. *Can something like this be used in lieu
of a sump pump? *I can't tell if it is auto sensing or not and if it
will come on automatically, or if a switch could be rigged up
somehow..

-Jim

All I can tell you is I had water in the basement too yesterday, and I
don't care how big of a pump you have. If the water table is rising
all around you, there' not much you can do.
I was using my pump yesterday and as fast as I sucked water out of one
corner of my basement, the water came back in.
Finally this morning, the water receded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 4:33*am, jtpr wrote:
I have a house that is built on solid ledge and I'm getting a lot of
water lately with all these storms in the northeast. *Putting in *sump
pump will be very difficult to say the least. *I can break up he
concrete, but then I'm at the ledge so I only can go down about 4 in.
I just rented a Wacker PS400 pump from HD and it worked great to get
rid of the bulk of the water. *This is not a finished basement so I'm
not after total protection. *Can something like this be used in lieu
of a sump pump? *I can't tell if it is auto sensing or not and if it
will come on automatically, or if a switch could be rigged up
somehow..

-Jim

You can get independent float switches. They usually have an outlet
on the back of their plug. Check to make sure the wacker pump doesn't
have anything on the tag that says it has a duty cycle of less than
100% and you're good to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 3:33*am, jtpr wrote:
I have a house that is built on solid ledge and I'm getting a lot of
water lately with all these storms in the northeast. *Putting in *sump
pump will be very difficult to say the least. *I can break up he
concrete, but then I'm at the ledge so I only can go down about 4 in.
I just rented a Wacker PS400 pump from HD and it worked great to get
rid of the bulk of the water. *This is not a finished basement so I'm
not after total protection. *Can something like this be used in lieu
of a sump pump? *I can't tell if it is auto sensing or not and if it
will come on automatically, or if a switch could be rigged up
somehow..

-Jim

You think you can only go down 4", rent an electric demolition hammer
it will go through the Ledge so you can go deper and put in a sump,
you only need to go deep enough to make the float work, maybe a foot.
A Pedistal pump should work with a 6" depth, then its all automatic.
You dont need an inserted plastic pit liner or a hole much bigger than
the pump and float clearance, a pedistal pump would take the smallest
diameter and depth of hole, I have 6 in an apt building I put in. HD
wont have a quality unit but for now it should get you by, mine are
maybe 50 yrs old, brass base commercial grade and fine. HD rents demo
hammers im sure, probably a mornings work to do the whole job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 8:03*am, ransley wrote:
On Mar 31, 3:33*am, jtpr wrote:

[...]

I tend to agree with Ransley. The problem I see with no basin or one
that is only 4" deep, is that unless you have a real flood, whatever
pump you use, it's going to turn on and off very frequently. That
uses more electricity and shortens the pump life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 3:33*am, jtpr wrote:

[...]

uses more electricity and shortens the pump life.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I'm going to rent the jackhammer and give it a go on Friday, get
it as deep as I can and put a homer bucket in there. You think I can
get through ledge with a jackhammer?

-Jim