Posted to alt.home.repair
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default Wacker pump as a sump solution?

On Mar 31, 9:05*am, wrote:
On Mar 31, 8:03*am, ransley wrote:

On Mar 31, 3:33*am, jtpr wrote:

I have a house that is built on solid ledge and I'm getting a lot of
water lately with all these storms in the northeast. *Putting in *sump
pump will be very difficult to say the least. *I can break up he
concrete, but then I'm at the ledge so I only can go down about 4 in.
I just rented a Wacker PS400 pump from HD and it worked great to get
rid of the bulk of the water. *This is not a finished basement so I'm
not after total protection. *Can something like this be used in lieu
of a sump pump? *I can't tell if it is auto sensing or not and if it
will come on automatically, or if a switch could be rigged up
somehow..

-Jim

You think you can only go down 4", rent an electric demolition hammer
it will go through the Ledge so you can go deper and put in a sump,
you only need to go deep enough to make the float work, maybe a foot.
A Pedistal pump should work with a 6" depth, then its all automatic.
You dont need an inserted plastic pit liner or a hole much bigger than
the pump and float clearance, a pedistal pump would take the smallest
diameter and depth of hole, I have 6 in an apt building I put in. HD
wont have a quality unit but for now it should get you by, mine are
maybe 50 yrs old, brass base commercial grade and fine. HD rents demo
hammers im sure, probably a mornings work to do the whole job.

I tend to agree with Ransley. * The problem I see with no basin or one
that is only 4" deep, is that unless you have a real flood, whatever
pump you use, it's going to turn on and off very frequently. *That
uses more electricity and shortens the pump life.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I'm going to rent the jackhammer and give it a go on Friday, get
it as deep as I can and put a homer bucket in there. You think I can
get through ledge with a jackhammer?

-Jim