Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Semi OT - Removing antenna mount from car window...

My son just bought a used car which has an antenna mount for a satellite
radio stuck on the outside of the rear window.

It's a lump about 1-1/2" square with a short male threaded antenna
starter piece sticking out of it.

He's no intention of getting a satellite radio and asked me how to
safely remove that piece.

There's a matching lump on the inside of the glass which I assume is
inductively or capacitively coupled to the outside piece, but he's not
much concerned with that one and if it happens to be stuck over one of
the defroster grid lines he's better off not messing wwith it.

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached to
the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe way
of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
[...]

With an "Extra" ticket and you don't know the answer!!!

Sparky01

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/25/10 05:09 pm, sparky01 wrote:

[...]

I don't recall there being any questions about that on the test.

"Perce"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
My son just bought a used car which has an antenna mount for a
satellite radio stuck on the outside of the rear window.

It's a lump about 1-1/2" square with a short male threaded antenna
starter piece sticking out of it.

He's no intention of getting a satellite radio and asked me how to
safely remove that piece.

There's a matching lump on the inside of the glass which I assume is
inductively or capacitively coupled to the outside piece, but he's not
much concerned with that one and if it happens to be stuck over one of
the defroster grid lines he's better off not messing wwith it.

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached
to the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe
way of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

it's probably some sort of epoxy or uv glue. if you can take the window out
and stick it in an oven, it'll release around 350F.

there's a product called Attack that will dissolve epoxy, but you have to
get it to stay on there for a couple of days or so because there's not much
glue surface area it can get to.

i doubt a razor knife will touch it. the glue may be stronger than the
glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"chaniarts" wrote:

there's a product called Attack that will dissolve epoxy, but you have to
get it to stay on there for a couple of days or so because there's not much
glue surface area it can get to.

i doubt a razor knife will touch it. the glue may be stronger than the
glass.

Head out to Best Buy or similar place that used to put cell phones in
car. Maybe one of the oldsters there still remembers how they used to
take the cell antennas off.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:47:58 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

My son just bought a used car which has an antenna mount for a satellite
radio stuck on the outside of the rear window.

It's a lump about 1-1/2" square with a short male threaded antenna
starter piece sticking out of it.

He's no intention of getting a satellite radio and asked me how to
safely remove that piece.

There's a matching lump on the inside of the glass which I assume is
inductively or capacitively coupled to the outside piece, but he's not
much concerned with that one and if it happens to be stuck over one of
the defroster grid lines he's better off not messing wwith it.

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached to
the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe way
of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

The glass mounts are mounted with adhesive, some use double sided
tape?

Try some dental floss, fishing line or maybe a piano or guitar
string.. Just guessing here G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached to
the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe way of
removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Thanks guys,

If you don't get the answer here, call an auto glass place. They do that
sort of thing all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 25, 3:47*pm, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

snip

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached to
the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe way
of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Go to any auto parts store. Look at the mirror mounting kit display.
Many will have adhesive remover as part of the display. Failing that,
try a auto body shop supply store. Again, in the mirror mount products
should have adhesive removal material there. The cyanoacrylate
adhesives are removed with acetone, IIRC. An epoxy adhesive will
soften with methylene chloride, the main component in StripEase and
similar bodied paint removers.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/25/2010 04:47 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
My son just bought a used car which has an antenna mount for a satellite
radio stuck on the outside of the rear window.

It's a lump about 1-1/2" square with a short male threaded antenna
starter piece sticking out of it.

He's no intention of getting a satellite radio and asked me how to
safely remove that piece.

There's a matching lump on the inside of the glass which I assume is
inductively or capacitively coupled to the outside piece, but he's not
much concerned with that one and if it happens to be stuck over one of
the defroster grid lines he's better off not messing wwith it.

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached to
the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe way
of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

I'd start with a hair dryer...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Forgot to mention, if it's the same glue that holds on rear view
mirrors, driving a certain onramp on the way to the Detroit airport used
to remove the mirror on my old Scirocco every time

Koni yellows + H&R sport springs + 15" 50-series tires + Detroit roads =
no bueno. (well, I was living in MD when I put the car together...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:29:13 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached to
the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe way
of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

I'd start with a hair dryer...

The first summer I lived in the desert I came out from work one day
and the review mirror in my truck was hanging by the wire (94 Bronco).
The intense heat apparently broke the adhesive from the mirror mount
as it was still on the mirror arm. (110° ++)

Picked up some new adhesive from the auto parts place, cleaned the
windshield (alcohol?) and mounted the mount back on. Hasn't failed
since. In the summer I keep the windows open just enough to prevent
the heat build-up. Some say the windows can actually shatter from heat
if is tightly closed.

A hair dryer may work in the OP's case...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:51:28 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"chaniarts" wrote:

there's a product called Attack that will dissolve epoxy, but you have to
get it to stay on there for a couple of days or so because there's not much
glue surface area it can get to.

i doubt a razor knife will touch it. the glue may be stronger than the
glass.

Head out to Best Buy or similar place that used to put cell phones in
car. Maybe one of the oldsters there still remembers how they used to
take the cell antennas off.

It's likely a Methacrylate ester glue if that's any help. Acetone or
heat will weaken the bond - and it has a low shear strength,
particularly on glass.
It's used in nail hardeners and nail enhancer products in the beauty
industry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

SOME did have a "rubber"adhesive disc - but others used something
similar to rear-view mirror adhesive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
My son just bought a used car which has an antenna mount for a
satellite radio stuck on the outside of the rear window.

It's a lump about 1-1/2" square with a short male threaded antenna
starter piece sticking out of it.

He's no intention of getting a satellite radio and asked me how to
safely remove that piece.

There's a matching lump on the inside of the glass which I assume is
inductively or capacitively coupled to the outside piece, but he's not
much concerned with that one and if it happens to be stuck over one of
the defroster grid lines he's better off not messing wwith it.

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached
to the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe
way of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

I would probably just try tapping on it sidewise. A light impact will probably
pop it loose. Lay a screwdriver on the window with the tip on the lump and the
handle on the glass. Tap the end of the handle towards the lump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

I'd wedge a single edge razor blade under one corner then tap that in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached to
the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe way
of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

I'd start with a hair dryer...

The first summer I lived in the desert I came out from work one day
and the review mirror in my truck was hanging by the wire (94 Bronco).
The intense heat apparently broke the adhesive from the mirror mount
as it was still on the mirror arm. (110° ++)

The first time I used one of those sun/heat reflectors for inside the
windshield it was a hot day and of course, my rear view mirror fell off.
Now if I use those reflectors, I put the wipers part way up slip the
reflector under them. The car stays much cooler with the reflector on
the outside of the windshield!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote the following:
My son just bought a used car which has an antenna mount for a
satellite radio stuck on the outside of the rear window.

It's a lump about 1-1/2" square with a short male threaded antenna
starter piece sticking out of it.

He's no intention of getting a satellite radio and asked me how to
safely remove that piece.

There's a matching lump on the inside of the glass which I assume is
inductively or capacitively coupled to the outside piece, but he's not
much concerned with that one and if it happens to be stuck over one of
the defroster grid lines he's better off not messing wwith it.

I presume the outside piece he wants to remove is adhesively attached
to the glass and wondered if the folks here here can recommend a safe
way of removing it without risking damage to the rear window.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Like the others here, I don't know what the stuff is and don't know how
to remove it, but I won't give you a WAG.
Drive the car to an auto glass shop and ask them what to do.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 3:47*pm, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:
[...]

I think the safest try would be to "Vise-Grip" it...and twist at the
same plane as the glass.

bob