Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Magnusfarce

Default Where to Mount Antenna Amp ?

I'm about to add an amplifier to my in-attic antenna to boost reception on
one or two poor channels. It would be much more convenient to mount the amp
(a Winegard with 37 dB gain) about 5 or 10 feet from the antenna instead of
right at the antenna, to be followed by the remaining 40 feet or so of coax
to the TV. Does the amp need to be right at the antenna or can it be a
little bit down the line and still do its job?

I tried it at the TV and saw no improvement so I assume that my biggest
problem is loss of an already weak signal across the 50 foot cable run . If
the signal loss is linear with cable length, then by mounting it only a few
feet away from the antenna (much, much easier to do) I should incur only a
small amount of signal loss in the cable. Is that right?

- Magnusfarce

John A. Weeks III

In article ,
"Magnusfarce" wrote:

I'm about to add an amplifier to my in-attic antenna to boost reception on
one or two poor channels. It would be much more convenient to mount the amp
(a Winegard with 37 dB gain) about 5 or 10 feet from the antenna instead of
right at the antenna, to be followed by the remaining 40 feet or so of coax
to the TV. Does the amp need to be right at the antenna or can it be a
little bit down the line and still do its job?

Either way should work. Putting it right at the antenna is the
best, but down the line a few feet is likely OK.

In general, I have never seen one of these amps do the job. If
your signal is poor, then you either have bad feedline, or your
antenna is not seeing much of a signal. Attic antennas are
especially hard to work with since most modern houses have
house wrap or insulation that has foil on it, and the foil
blocks the signal from getting into the attic.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
steve

For best results place it as close to the antenna end of the coax as
possible. The less coax loass between the antenna output and the amp
input the better. Otherwise the coaxial loss between your amp and the
antenna adds to the amps noise figure and reduces the Signal to Noise
ratio your receiver gets.

An amp placed as described above on my attic antenna made all the
difference in my ability to recieve HD programming.

Make sure the amp has the lowest noise figure you can find (reasonably)
-- Do not use a 'distribution' amp. Make sure it is a low noise high
gain amp.

Steve

Magnusfarce wrote:
[...]

Well, my antenna is outside on the roof ridge - a lot higher than if
it was inside. But if OP has the common unheated attic, the
insulation is in the attic floor, and the antenna would be above it.
So that could not be the reason for the poor reception.

House wrap doesn't have any metal in it.