Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OTA antenna mount

I need to mount my new TV antenna on my house. There is no way
a tower would go over in my neighborhood, so let's not get into that
discussion. I would like to mount the antenna near the peak. I don't
have a chimney. The house is quite high being a two storey house plus
the basement is only half buried. The peak of the house has a gable end
at both sides.

Looking at the construction from the inside, I can't really tell if the
eave is sturdy or not since they have boxed it in all the way to the roof.

I kind of want to avoid installing anything that will penetrate the
shingles, but have seen the Commdeck mounting device which looks
intriguing. Any users out there?

My first thought was to get an eave mount kit which consists of a bracket
at the peak and a longer bracket lower down which spans from one eave to
the other and the antenna mast attaches to the middle of both brackets.
How would I attach that to the eave, and how can I tell if the eave is
strong enough to hold it?

I was also considering a J-mount, like one that is used for satellite
dishes but don't think that the eave is wide enough to mount it vertically
in any spot near the peak. Would it be possible to mount a J-mount to the
side of the house - there are 2x8's vertically at intervals in the gable
end, but the exterior is finished with vinyl siding.

Any other ideas are welcome but keep in mind that this antenna is about
41" x 33" and I also want to mount a rotor on this mount.

Let me know how you would attack this task!

Thanks,

Larry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 19:37:49 +0000 (UTC), GoHabsGo
wrote:

[...]

You also have the option of using a telescoping mast pipe that could
be secured at the ground and at the top.

http://www.lnl.com/lnl/mtghdwre.tam
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

that's what I have. 3 piece telescope. works well. mount it on the
side facing the transmitters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion but that's kind of out of the question for my
situation. While it may work, I still have the issue of how do I attach
it at the top? If that is answered, I think I could use that eave mount
kit on that web site you referred to above.

The peak of my gable is way up there. I have a 24' ladder and I'm sure
it's at least ten feed short for the peak. I will likely need to go to
the adjacent side and put the ladder on the deck so it can reach the low
end of the gable, climb on the roof and reach over the side to attach. I
just need to be sure there is something solid there to bolt into. Anyone
have information on typical roof construction? Will there be a 2x8 facia
on the gable, under the siding?

Thanks,

Larry
Posted to alt.home.repair

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...

You also have the option of using a telescoping mast pipe that could
be secured at the ground and at the top.

http://www.lnl.com/lnl/mtghdwre.tam

Thanks for the suggestion but that's kind of out of the question for my
situation. While it may work, I still have the issue of how do I attach
it at the top? If that is answered, I think I could use that eave mount
kit on that web site you referred to above.

The peak of my gable is way up there. I have a 24' ladder and I'm sure
it's at least ten feed short for the peak. I will likely need to go to
the adjacent side and put the ladder on the deck so it can reach the low
end of the gable, climb on the roof and reach over the side to attach. I
just need to be sure there is something solid there to bolt into. Anyone
have information on typical roof construction? Will there be a 2x8 facia
on the gable, under the siding?

1. Advisers cannot help much since the OP did not say
how the house is built (masonry, framed timber etc.) or how old.
2. The brace for a telescoping antenna carries no weight
(except itself) so can be fairlly light. It needs only sufficient
strength to resist maximum winds. The municipal building
permits office may have free advice about this.
3. It is notoriously unsafe to work under the eaves from
atop a roof, working upside down. When a carpenter put
an extra window under my eaves he brought his own scaffold,
about 4 x 6 ft. footprint, and took it up to 20 ft. height in less than
10 minutes.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

It is notoriously unsafe to fasten

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

with the telescoping antenna you can work on it with ease and then raise
it up one section at a time till it is fully extended. much easier and
safer than trying to do what you envision. good luck,.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well I have installed a similar sized TV antenna with the eave mount
brackets on a 1995 vinyl sided house. Wood was underneath. I
used a five foot mast pipe and separated the two brackets by about
12 inches. It is holding up well.

I would try to get as much separation as possible between the
brackets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry,

First off you may wish to start with this:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx

Also you may wish to consider that the neighborhood can't prevent you from
erecting a tower if that is your desire, federal law trumps local ordinance
here unless you do not own your back yard.

Good luck.

--
Roger Shoaf

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone
have information on typical roof construction? Will there be a 2x8
facia on the gable, under the siding?

Round here, fascia construction is a 2x4 nailed to the ends of the
rafter tails, with a 3/8x6 piece of decorative trim on top.

You'll hit the 2x4 no matter where you put in a screw (as long as you
stay in the upper 3.5 inches), but it's better to hit the rafter tails
so you can use really long screws. There'll be a tail on either side of
the peak. Look for nails in the decorative fascia for a clue to the
exact location.

Some higher-end houses have actual 2x6 or 2x8 boards with no decorative
layer. I would still hit the rafter tails.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

FreeTheBirthCert wrote:

wrote:

[...]

He still needs to attach it to the fly rafter on the gable, which is
apparently close to three stories off the ground. (2 story over walkout
basement, pretty common around here.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Once I had an antenna on top of 2 story house roof. I built a platform
to straddle ridge at the center, used a tripod and mast. had to use 3
guy wires of light aircraft steel cable with small turn buckles etc.
This set up lasted LONG time(~20 years) until I sold the house.
The antenna was two element tri-bander quad for ham radio with a rotor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
FreeTheBirthCert wrote:

wrote:

[...]

or attach it on the one story side where it will be easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
GoHabsGo wrote:
[...]

Space in the attic? That's where mine is located.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom Oska wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
GoHabsGo wrote:
[...]

With a rotor? OP said he needs rotor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 9:26 pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
Larry,

First off you may wish to start with this:http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx

Also you may wish to consider that the neighborhood can't prevent you from
erecting a tower if that is your desire, federal law trumps local ordinance
here unless you do not own your back yard.

Good luck.

--
Roger Shoaf

Roger

That is either wishful thinking or bad information or both. There
simply is no federal law that prevents localities from regulating
antennas. The FCC rule only requires "reasonable accommodation" and
that provides a lot of wiggle room for the locality to limit what you
do. Even States like Pennsylvania, that have passed a protective law,
still require permits and limit the protection to structures of a
particular height or less.

--
Tom Horne, W3TDH

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Space in the attic? That's where mine is located.

Hi,
With a rotor? OP said he needs rotor.

Why not ? The antenna is only about 3'x4'. There may be enough room to mount
it. That is if the house does not have a conductive roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in
:

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...

[...]

Wood framed house with brick on lower half and vinyl siding on the top
half. House was built in 2001 in Southern Ontario (Canada).

2. The brace for a telescoping antenna carries no weight
(except itself) so can be fairlly light. It needs only sufficient
strength to resist maximum winds. The municipal building
permits office may have free advice about this.

I want a minimalistic mount, yet strong enough to support the antenna and
rotor. This telescoping antenna would stand out a little too much, in my
view (and my wife's also).

3. It is notoriously unsafe to work under the eaves from
atop a roof, working upside down. When a carpenter put
an extra window under my eaves he brought his own scaffold,
about 4 x 6 ft. footprint, and took it up to 20 ft. height in less
than 10 minutes.

I'm considering getting a longer ladder with stand-off braces. How long
do ladders come? I think I may reach with a 36' ladder but a little
longer would definitely be better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom Oska" wrote in
:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
GoHabsGo wrote:
[...]

There is plenty of space to mount it in the attic, however, my location
relative to the transmission towers is at the outer fringe, so I think
for most consistent reception, I will need to go outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

Tom Oska wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
GoHabsGo wrote:
[...]

Yes, I do have space, even with a rotor but want to go outside
due to distance factor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Space in the attic? That's where mine is located.

Hi,
With a rotor? OP said he needs rotor.

Why not ? The antenna is only about 3'x4'. There may be enough room to
mount it. That is if the house does not have a conductive roof.

Roof is asphalt shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo wrote:
"Don Phillipson" wrote in
:

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...

[...]

does she have a good insurance policy on you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo wrote:
"Don Phillipson" wrote in
:

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...

[...]

If this is a one-time job, and if you have a way to haul it, you can
rent a long ladder for a day pretty cheap. Good long ladders are expensive.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message I'm considering
getting a longer ladder with stand-off braces. How long
do ladders come? I think I may reach with a 36' ladder but a little
longer would definitely be better.

You may want to rent a one man lift, may be referred to as a cherry picker.
Also look at finding someone that has a bucket truck that will install the
antenna for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo wrote:
Yes, I do have space, even with a rotor but want to go outside
due to distance factor.

I doubt you'd encounter a detectable difference between an antenna in the
attic and one mounted above the roof. The difference in height would be,
what, four feet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 11:19�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
GoHabsGo wrote:
Yes, I do have space, even with a rotor but want to go outside
due to distance factor.

I doubt you'd encounter a detectable difference between an antenna in the
attic and one mounted above the roof. The difference in height would be,
what, four feet?

Under roof costs about a 30% signal loss thru normal plywood sheathing
and shingles.

Add rain or snow even greater loss, espically bad with digital
signals.......

Outside is the only weay to go!

and add rotor for most reliable reception

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message I'm
considering getting a longer ladder with stand-off braces. How long
do ladders come? I think I may reach with a 36' ladder but a little
longer would definitely be better.

You may want to rent a one man lift, may be referred to as a cherry
picker. Also look at finding someone that has a bucket truck that will
install the antenna for you.

I did think about this option but access to the side of the house is
impossible due to obstructions, slope, neighbor's house. If I can find a
40ft ladder with 'wings' it would do the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 9:34�am, GoHabsGo wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote :

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message I'm
considering getting a longer ladder with stand-off braces. �How long
do ladders come? �I think I may reach with a 36' ladder but a little
longer would definitely be better.

You may want to rent a one man lift, may be referred to as a cherry
picker. Also look at finding someone that has a bucket truck that will
install the antenna for you.

I did think about this option but access to the side of the house is
impossible due to obstructions, slope, neighbor's house. �If I can find a
40ft ladder with 'wings' it would do the trick.

given the obstructed site and lack of experience and proper tools why
not get a quote from a experienced installer?

might save lots of effort and risk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 6:47*am, GoHabsGo wrote:
"Tom Oska" wrote :

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
GoHabsGo wrote:
[...]

Just put it on the peak of your roof, and screw it into the rafters /
trusses thru the shingles.
closer to the peak mean less water run off from above, pre drill the
holes and fill them with some good goop
then bolt a tripod stand down. if you goop it well, it shouldn't leak
for a while, check it once a year and your good.

ps.. go leafs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zephyr wrote in
:

On Jun 7, 6:47*am, GoHabsGo wrote:
"Tom Oska" wrote
innews:_TwWl.63257$fo6.35897@en-nntp-09

.dc1.easynews.com:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
GoHabsGo wrote:
[...]

With freezing, thawing, wind, rain, snow attacking those holes, it is
only a matter of time before it will leak. It is almost guaranteed to do
so. I will avoid any penetration of my shingles for this reason. I had
a previous installation of a dish on my previous home's roof that was all
gooped up and still leaked.

ps.. go leafs.

If I was a Leaf fan, I would be good to go with my CBC HD transmission
from the CN Tower. At least I'll see them play the Habs a few times a
year.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
05.209...
I need to mount my new TV antenna on my house.

I used a "tripod" mount on my roof. It's held in place by three good
sized wood screws through the singles and roof sheathing. One leg of the
tripod is held to the angle bracket via a bolt and nut. When you put a
mast on the tripod you can remove that bolt and tilt it over. One person
can install things if you have a board to keep the system from completely
flopping over in "tilt" mode.

I have a 6' mast in the tripod with a rotator and another 6' mast with
antenna. Because of overlap, etc. the antenna is about 11' above the
ridge.

I used sealing compound under the bracket and over the "lag screw." You
don't really have to worry much about roof leaks from holes near the ridge
because there just isn't much water up there. It's toward the bottom that
you have to be careful about holes in the shingles.

I am a nut for grounding. I have #6 copper running from the tripod and
mast to both ends of the ridge and into separate grounds which are also
bonded to the house ground.

I used RG-59 but I will soon replace it with RG-6 to get a little more
signal. There are tall trees around our property and our antenna still
isn't high enough. Maybe I will put in a 10' mast and have a more direct
run when I put in the RG-6.

With the transition to digital, I fear I may end up with less stations
because I can't get reliable service on the digital version of several
channels. (We are about 60-70 miles from the transmitter towers.)