Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Thompsons water seal equivilent?

Hello,

I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as Thompsons
water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer! Thank you...
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 15, 11:45*am, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * * I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as Thompsons
water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer! Thank you....
Jim

Consumer Reports and many posts in this NG have shown the poor
performance of this product. Apparently, you never bothered to check
it out, and like many of us, simply buy it because the container is so
pretty. Obviously, Thompsons is an inadequate product. So head off to
your library and dig out Consumer Reports as a starting point. From
there, use Google for more info. Then the archives of this NG. Ask at
your local real honest-to-gosh paint store for advice. Find a store
that sells building maintenance products and check their products.
Finally, why did you persist in not allowing the cedar to weather
gracefully? It looks fine on 200 year old dwellings in New England.
Preserving the new cedar appearance might be possible with some very $
$ marine finishes, but using Thomsons usually means nothing else will
ever adhere to the wood again. FWIW, it might just be best to let it
all age and concentrate on other matters.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2010 12:45 PM, Jim wrote:
Hello,

I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as Thompsons
water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer! Thank you...
Jim

I feel the same way. I prefer their sealer with stain but only color
remains after a year. I think the active ingredient is wax and a few
years ago, engineering for low VOC's crystals were precipitating
preventing me from using a tank sprayer.

Little googling shows something with silicone would be better:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Choosing-t...aler&id=247371

but on bare wood, you'll still get graying. May not look as bad on
cedar as it looks on my pressure treated deck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 11:45*am, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * * I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as Thompsons
water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer! Thank you....
Jim

For clear coat nothing lasts, the CR review shows 6 stains which
Thonpsons makes 3 types and one of them CR says looks better at 3
years than top rated behr and the other Thompsons with same name, is
poor, so you have to read the review, I dont understand the review as
Thompsons water seal deck and house seems to have two listings
together, and one is poor. But clear coats are a yearly ordeal, CR is
confusing and many companies are not listed like Sikkens, Ben moore,
Sherwin Williams, Olympic , so its a crap ass review. I bought a JD
single stage snowblower on their bad rating, it clogs in wet snow, my
neighbors have Toros, they dont clog so the idiots at CR didnt test it
in heavy wet snow, My Toro lawnmower bogs in damp stuff bad, my old
Lawnboy doesnt but the toro is rated higher and I think had a rod
knock from new. CR dosnt seem to work or test Midwest conditions, but
they cant figure that out, They would rate a B&D battery drill over a
Dewalt or Bosch, Miwaulkee from run time and balance alone, so beware,
they dont use the stuff or rate things right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

-snip-
Finally, why did you persist in not allowing the cedar to weather
gracefully? It looks fine on 200 year old dwellings in New England.

Yeah- but our gr-gr-gr-grandpa had more sense than to use it as a
floor. Cedar is way too soft to walk on, IMO.

Preserving the new cedar appearance might be possible with some very $
$ marine finishes, but using Thomsons usually means nothing else will
ever adhere to the wood again. FWIW, it might just be best to let it
all age and concentrate on other matters.

My brother does a lot of work on an upscale ski slope 'development'.
When the cedar craze hit, everyone had him tear out their PT decks and
replace them with cedar. A few years later they had him tear out
the cedar to put Ipe in. Then the Ipe craze passed and he tore out
a few to put some sort of plastic stuff in.

He has a nice barn framed in PT, sheathed with 8/4 cedar, with an Ipe
floor. All from lumber that was headed for the dump.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
Hello,

I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as
Thompsons water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer!
Thank you... Jim

Penofin oil. They have a few types and they work well. Good UV protection
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in
:

Hello,

I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons
Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards
and cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the
wood grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful
look is freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected
stuff that is supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo
my question is this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look
as nice as Thompsons water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more
than one summer! Thank you... Jim

Thompsons water seal equivilent? ==== Water
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 4:43*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message

Hello,

* * *I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as
Thompsons water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer!
Thank you... Jim

Penofin oil. *They have a few types and they work well. *Good UV protection
too.

Is Penofin avalaible at Ace or Box stores, have you seen it in quarts,
can it be used at 45-50f? I need some treatment on 20 sq ft of new
pine to protect and dont want a gallon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in
:

Hello,

I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons
Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards
and cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out
the wood grain to make everything new again.... problem is the
beautiful look is freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV
protected stuff that is supposed to not allow any
greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is this.... Is there a
product that will make my deck look as nice as Thompsons water
sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer! Thank
you... Jim

Thompsons water seal equivilent? ==== Water

Close, it's nothing more than paraffin wax dissolved in mineral spirits. It
is to "wood protecting" what whitewash was to paint.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 3:41*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

Jon- Hide quoted text -

The original Thompsons is wax as the preserver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:45:30 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello,

I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as Thompsons
water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer! Thank you...
Jim

Once I applied Cabot Decking stain, never looked back.. Thompson's
anything was crap. The decking stain I used was driftwood grey, and
the deck really does look like driftwood. Got several complements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jim Elbrecht, OrdinaryPerson wrote:
Would be nice to be courteous enough to not use only "in" words that only
those "inside" the industry (whatever it is ) would understand. PT lpe

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...nt-430557-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2016 7:44 PM, OrdinaryPerson wrote:
replying to Jim Elbrecht, OrdinaryPerson wrote:
Would be nice to be courteous enough to not use only "in" words that only
those "inside" the industry (whatever it is ) would understand. PT lpe

Huh? What is "inside" about Ipe? It is as secretive as using oak or
maple.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Hammer N. Saw wrote:
Yes, Ordinary Person. Your statement goes to show that ignorance can be
cured, but stupidity is forever. Please take the cure before returning. BTW,
did you realize you were replying to a six year old post?

Thompsons water seal Jim Home Repair 4 June 1st 08 01:03 PM
Water seal for door. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 March 15th 08 10:42 PM
seal a water leak Karl Townsend Metalworking 17 August 13th 07 06:15 AM
Using Thompson's Water Seal Arthur UK diy 5 February 1st 07 11:13 AM
Thompsons water seal question Shopdog Home Repair 5 September 21st 06 02:56 PM