Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Thompsons water seal equivilent?

On Mar 15, 11:45*am, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * * I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as Thompsons
water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer! Thank you....
Jim

For clear coat nothing lasts, the CR review shows 6 stains which
Thonpsons makes 3 types and one of them CR says looks better at 3
years than top rated behr and the other Thompsons with same name, is
poor, so you have to read the review, I dont understand the review as
Thompsons water seal deck and house seems to have two listings
together, and one is poor. But clear coats are a yearly ordeal, CR is
confusing and many companies are not listed like Sikkens, Ben moore,
Sherwin Williams, Olympic , so its a crap ass review. I bought a JD
single stage snowblower on their bad rating, it clogs in wet snow, my
neighbors have Toros, they dont clog so the idiots at CR didnt test it
in heavy wet snow, My Toro lawnmower bogs in damp stuff bad, my old
Lawnboy doesnt but the toro is rated higher and I think had a rod
knock from new. CR dosnt seem to work or test Midwest conditions, but
they cant figure that out, They would rate a B&D battery drill over a
Dewalt or Bosch, Miwaulkee from run time and balance alone, so beware,
they dont use the stuff or rate things right.