Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Thompsons water seal equivilent?

On Mar 15, 11:45*am, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello,

* * * I have sort of a "love hate" relationship with this Thompsons Water
sealer for my deck. I use it every year to seal my cedar deck boards and
cedar deck walls. It looks absolutely fantastic! It brings out the wood
grain to make everything new again.... problem is the beautiful look is
freaking gone a year later...I am buying the UV protected stuff that is
supposed to not allow any greying/weathering.... sooooo my question is
this.... Is there a product that will make my deck look as nice as Thompsons
water sealer THAT WILL LAST?....at least more than one summer! Thank you....
Jim

Consumer Reports and many posts in this NG have shown the poor
performance of this product. Apparently, you never bothered to check
it out, and like many of us, simply buy it because the container is so
pretty. Obviously, Thompsons is an inadequate product. So head off to
your library and dig out Consumer Reports as a starting point. From
there, use Google for more info. Then the archives of this NG. Ask at
your local real honest-to-gosh paint store for advice. Find a store
that sells building maintenance products and check their products.
Finally, why did you persist in not allowing the cedar to weather
gracefully? It looks fine on 200 year old dwellings in New England.
Preserving the new cedar appearance might be possible with some very $
$ marine finishes, but using Thomsons usually means nothing else will
ever adhere to the wood again. FWIW, it might just be best to let it
all age and concentrate on other matters.

Joe