Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for Decks for dummies

Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows little or
nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

Posted to alt.home.repair

don &/or Lucille wrote:
Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows
little or nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

Try one of the Ortho or Time/Life (or similar) books at your local HIS.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"don &/or Lucille" wrote in message
Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows little or
nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

Also good to learn what can go wrong if these are not properly built.

Search google.com for the words...
deck collapse

Also click on Images (at top) of the google.com search and you can see
pictures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

P.S. I don't think you are a "dummy", rather a "smarty" because you are
asking! (Good!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 13 Mar 2010 05:04:46a, don &/or Lucille told us...

Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows little or
nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

Actually there is a book entitled Decks and Patios for Dummies...

http://www.amazon.com/Decks-Patios-Dummies-Robert-
Beckstrom/dp/0764550756/ref=sr_1_1/182-1120232-4939603?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=
1268499186&sr=1-1

This link might work better many:

http://tinyurl.com/ybdjbuu

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Went through this a couple of year ago.

Got a very nice book from Lowes, I believe. Nice diagrams, some
information on spans, etc.

Also, I check with the local government on permits, etc. as to what
they needed. They were quite helpful.

Also, looked at a couple of decks to get some ideas.

A sharp Skill saw and a good power screwdriver are your friends!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 13, 6:16*am, "don &/or Lucille"
wrote:
Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows little or
nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

There is a growing sentiment that "Deck Are for Dummies", given that
they require so much maintenance and are mostly little used once in
place. Consider whether you really need a pricey 'keep up with the
Joneses' addition or a more prudent reducing the mortgage by that
amount. Times are tough right now, and the recession will be with us
for some time.
Nothing wrong with reading up on the subject, though, to help decide
when the time is right.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 7:16*am, "don &/or Lucille"
wrote:
Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows little or
nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

Home Depot used to have software that would help with the design.
I am not sure if they still do but I know they will design your deck
for free.
It is a good idea to get someone experienced to design the deck for
you.
If it is more the 3' high or attached to the house I would have an
inspector look at
it during construction.
This is not for "dummies". The last thing you want is the deck
collapsing -full of guests
and a lit BBQ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 13 Mar 2010 10:58:22a, The Daring Dufas told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 13 Mar 2010 05:04:46a, don &/or Lucille told us...

Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows
little or nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

Actually there is a book entitled Decks and Patios for Dummies...

http://www.amazon.com/Decks-Patios-Dummies-Robert-
Beckstrom/dp/0764550756/ref=sr_1_1/182-1120232-4939603?ie=UTF8&s=books&q
id= 1268499186&sr=1-1

This link might work better many:

http://tinyurl.com/ybdjbuu

TDD

I used to use "tinyurl" a lot until I learned that a long url enclosed by
almost always works as easily.

"We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on
our site"

Is what most people see with your link. I had to copy/paste the relevant
characters to get to the page. Also, I always use a shortened link
because even a longer working link will be truncated by follow up posts.
As you are well aware, sometimes the original post may not have been
propagated across all of the news servers. Disparate news readers may
handle the "" link method differently. I use Thunderbird (news reader
not wine) and it doesn't see but the first part of your link as such.
I might slip over to Google Groups to see how it handles your post.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

assuming I'm in the USA?

wrote:
Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows little
or
nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

There is a growing sentiment that "Deck Are for Dummies", given that
they require so much maintenance and are mostly little used once in
place. Consider whether you really need a pricey 'keep up with the
Joneses' addition or a more prudent reducing the mortgage by that
amount. Times are tough right now, and the recession will be with us
for some time.
Nothing wrong with reading up on the subject, though, to help decide
when the time is right.

Joe

Considering the recession and the lack of jobs, NO ONE should be
building anything. No one can not afford it, except the ultra
wealthy, and those people should be giving their money to the poor who
have nothing to eat, (which is half the population in the US). Anyone
building these days is either very greedy, or wants to go so far in
debt that they lose what they already own.

To the OP, wait till 2020 to build your deck. by that time we "might"
be out of the recession. Of course that will only happen if we get
rid of both the democrats and republicans, and elect someone who gives
a damn about "We the people".

Larry R

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

not when it shows you're in Canada

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

What a load of crap. At the very worst, if you have cash to pay for a deck,
go for it. Do it yourself, even.

To the OP, wait till 2020 to build your deck. by that time we "might"
be out of the recession. Of course that will only happen if we get
rid of both the democrats and republicans, and elect someone who gives
a damn about "We the people".

More crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Help is there any such thing a book thats assumes a person knows little or
nothing about decks? Can give variuos drawings ,plans?

There is a growing sentiment that "Deck Are for Dummies", *given that
they require so much maintenance and are mostly little used once in
place. Consider whether you really need a pricey 'keep up with the
Joneses' addition or a more prudent reducing the mortgage by that
amount. Times are tough right now, and the recession will be with us
for some time.
Nothing wrong with reading up on the subject, though, to help decide
when the time is right.

Joe

' There is a growing sentiment that "Deck Are for Dummies" '

Growing amongst what groups?

' mostly little used once in place '

Can you point me towards some data?

I only ask because I live in Western NY and use mine year round. At a
minimum I shovel a path to the grill until I have time to shovel the
deck completely clear.

During the warmer months, we use it 4 to 5 times a week and the dogs
hang out there every day.

I'm only one data point, so my usage proves nothing. I'd like to see
the rest of the data that shows me becoming a minority.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 13 Mar 2010 10:21:11p, The Daring Dufas told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

True, using "" is not infallible, although I had no problem opening the
link using Xnews. Since many people are skeptical about clicking on an
abbreviated link like TinyURL, it might be a good idea to post both.

That's a good point and tinyurl does have a preview function but if
enough people know someone has been around long enough to have a
habit of posting joke links and not malicious attack links, there's
nothing to fear. There are the classic "Goatse" and "Tubgirl" links
but the only thing that may be affected is ones ability to hold
down their dinner, not their computer. I have a couple of add-ons
installed in Firefox that effectively block most malicious links and
those are WOT(Web Of Trust) and NoScript. I would recommend them to
anyone. Don't pick on me or I'll start top posting. *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 15, 2:02*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

snip

' There is a growing sentiment that "Deck Are for Dummies" '

Growing amongst what groups?

' mostly little used once in place '

Can you point me towards some data?

snip

Try reading some of the archived posts in this NG. Frustrated deck
owners complain over and over about maintenance problems, rebuilding,
warping, etc. That should comprise an adequate data sample for you.
However, if you are happy with your installation, use it often, then
logically you made the right choice. Prospective builders, though,
should know both pros and cons that may affect them.

Joe

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 3:23*pm, Joe wrote:
On Mar 15, 2:02*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

snip
' There is a growing sentiment that "Deck Are for Dummies" '

Growing amongst what groups?

' mostly little used once in place '

Can you point me towards some data?
snip

Try reading some of the archived posts in this NG. Frustrated deck
owners complain over and over about maintenance problems, rebuilding,
warping, etc. That should comprise an adequate data sample for you.
However, if you are happy with your installation, use it often, then
logically you made the right choice. Prospective builders, though,
should know both pros and cons that may affect them.

Joe

Joe

"maintenance problems, rebuilding, warping, etc."

Yes, I've read many of those posts, but I don't recall too many (any?)
of them ending with "I wish it never existed".

If I recall these posts correctly, they all seem to want to make their
decks work better/look nicer, but nobody asks about how to tear them
down.

You used a telling word in your response - "rebuilding". If these
posters really thought that "Decks Are For Dummies" and their decks
were "mostly little used", why would they rebuild them? Seems to be
like a weekend of demolition would make the "complaints" go away on a
more permanent basis.

Of course, I'm just speculating here, but I gotta think that if people
are asking about how to fix their decks, then they are using them.

I'll agree with "knowing the pros and cons" before beginning any
project, but I guess I just don't see questions about deck maintenance
equating to a growing sentiment against them. If that were the case,
couldn't we say the same thing about questions related to mold in
bathrooms, leaky attics and crumbling garage floors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:23:00 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Mar 15, 2:02*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

snip

' There is a growing sentiment that "Deck Are for Dummies" '

Growing amongst what groups?

' mostly little used once in place '

Can you point me towards some data?

snip

Try reading some of the archived posts in this NG. Frustrated deck
owners complain over and over about maintenance problems, rebuilding,
warping, etc. That should comprise an adequate data sample for you.

Sounds to me it makes the opposite case-- folks use their decks enough
that they want to repair them rather than take them out.

However, if you are happy with your installation, use it often, then
logically you made the right choice. Prospective builders, though,
should know both pros and cons that may affect them.

Agree there--- I had a deck by an above ground pool for 20 years. I've
gotten more use out of the paver patio that I put in 5 yrs ago. But
when it was needed, the deck served a purpose.

If the landscaping around my house was different I'd have to build a
deck where my patio is.

Jim