Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall Insulation

Another thing I am dealing with now that I have the room gutted is
that the room below it was insulated with that old foam insulation
that has shrunk and was not doing a very good job. So I added some PVC
pipe to my shop vac and vacuumed all that old insulation out figuring
I could push some fiberglass batt insulation down into the lower
walls. There is already some batt insulation at the bottom part of the
wall but I need to fill in about 6 feet with insulation.

I tried pushing some batt insulation down into the wall but I can not
tell if the insulation is making it all the way down or just bunching
up in one spot part of the way down. Now it looks like the best option
is to use the blown in insulation maybe like the "Geenfiber" the sell
at Home Despot.

Anybody got any better suggestions?

Thanks, David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 1:49*pm, hibb wrote:
Another thing I am dealing with now that I have the room gutted is
that the room below it was insulated with that old foam insulation
that has shrunk and was not doing a very good job. So I added some PVC
pipe to my shop vac and vacuumed all that old insulation out figuring
I could push some fiberglass batt insulation down into the lower
walls. There is already some batt insulation at the bottom part of the
wall but I need to fill in about 6 feet with insulation.

I tried pushing some batt insulation down into the wall but I can not
tell if the insulation is making it all the way down or just bunching
up in one spot part of the way down. Now it looks like the best option
is to use the blown in insulation maybe like the "Geenfiber" the sell
at Home Despot.

Anybody got any better suggestions?

Thanks, David

Sounds like a plan to me, I would try to fish out the rest of the bat
insulation if you can.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 2:07*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 26, 1:49*pm, hibb wrote:

[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

If you do start fishing stuff out of the walls, be very careful as you
get near the bottom. You don't want to snag any old electrical wires.

If you have any of that old cloth covered wiring, the insulation or
covering could be pretty dried out and brittle.

Left undisturbed it's probably fine, but once you start knocking it
around or pulling on it, you could cause some hidden damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hibb" wrote in message
[...]

As an almost off topic comment, when insulating your bathroom,
consider filling in the space between a tub and the walls/face
with batt. We did it in our homes and water in the tub remained
hotter much longer: particularly when on an outside wall. Do use
caution, however, if the pipe inlet is on an outside wall, since
the added insulation could block enough ambient heat to permit
freezing of the water in the pipes.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 3:00*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"hibb" wrote in message

[...]

I like that idea. When I do the bathroom I'm going to have to do a lot
of insulating and make sure it is done well. The pipes did freeze and
burst a couple of times. I think I fixed it better the last time but I
will make damn sure when I gut that part of the house. We don't use
that bathroom right not so I have all the water shut off to the
upstairs.

Thanks, David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 2:07*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 26, 1:49*pm, hibb wrote:

[...]

I did fish out the bit of bat insulation at the bottom in the part of
the wall where I am installing pvc pipe for running wires. I wasn't
sure if I should do the rest.

Thanks, David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 2:26*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 26, 2:07*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

On Feb 26, 1:49*pm, hibb wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I will have to be careful with the wires.

BTW, I have a bunch of the old blown in insulation left from when I
took out the ceiling. I wonder if I could just re-use that instead of
having someone haul it away or if the new stuff is better. I can get
enough of the new stuff to do this job for under $20 bucks so cost is
not a concern.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 2:07 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

On Feb 26, 1:49 pm, hibb wrote:

[...]

Heck yes. I always reused insulation where reasonable. When I
finished my walkout LL, I pulled all the insulation out of the
floor and stored it. Then, I did stud walls 6" inside the block
and laid it horizontally, continuously and tucked it into the
space by the mudsill as well. That way, the lengths didn't matter
at all: it all was used.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hibb" wrote in message
On Feb 26, 3:00 pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"hibb" wrote in message

[...]

If you can, bring the pipes up through the floor in the blind area
at the head of the tub, and not up in the stud space. Insulate
between them and the exterior, but NOT the interior, so that the
ambient heat in the room keeps them from freezing.

We had a second place on a mountain once. It was colder than heck
about 9 months of the year there, and a perfect foil to the desert
heat here in Las Vegas. Our hot tub was made very well, with the
spray-on foam sprayed on the redwood surround and NOT the tub
inside. The heat from the tub thus protected the hidden plumbing,
pumps and drains. Many hot tubs, I believe, have the foam sprayed
against the tub itself, thus insulating the plumbing and pumps
from the tub. That may be fine in a southern climate, but on top
of a mountain, it wouldn't work very well.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:49:09 -0800 (PST), hibb
wrote:

Another thing I am dealing with now that I have the room gutted is
that the room below it was insulated with that old foam insulation
that has shrunk and was not doing a very good job. So I added some PVC
pipe to my shop vac and vacuumed all that old insulation out figuring
I could push some fiberglass batt insulation down into the lower
walls. There is already some batt insulation at the bottom part of the
wall but I need to fill in about 6 feet with insulation.

I tried pushing some batt insulation down into the wall but I can not
tell if the insulation is making it all the way down or just bunching
up in one spot part of the way down. Now it looks like the best option
is to use the blown in insulation maybe like the "Geenfiber" the sell
at Home Despot.

Anybody got any better suggestions?

Thanks, David

Pour in either cellulose or chopped fiberglass as used for blowing in.
Poke it with a stick or fish-wire to make sure it hasn't hung up part
way down. Thump the wall a few times to encourage settling- walk away
for an hour or two and top up if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-02-28, Bob F wrote:

There are probably "pourable" insulations available. Small bead-like chunks
which will tend to flow to fill gaps.

lol I'd hate to cut a hole for a light switch with something like that
in the walls!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:32:07 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

On 2010-02-28, Bob F wrote:

There are probably "pourable" insulations available. Small bead-like chunks
which will tend to flow to fill gaps.

lol I'd hate to cut a hole for a light switch with something like that
in the walls!

You betcha!

Perlite has/was used in block walls for sound, more than insulation
purposes. Used between condo unit walls back in the day.

Spill the bag when you opened it .... more went on the floor than
inside the block cavity. :-/