Posted to alt.home.repair
hibb hibb is offline

Default Wall Insulation

On Feb 26, 3:00*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"hibb" wrote in message

Another thing I am dealing with now that I have the room gutted
is
that the room below it was insulated with that old foam
insulation
that has shrunk and was not doing a very good job. So I added
some PVC
pipe to my shop vac and vacuumed all that old insulation out
figuring
I could push some fiberglass batt insulation down into the lower
walls. There is already some batt insulation at the bottom part
of the
wall but I need to fill in about 6 feet with insulation.

I tried pushing some batt insulation down into the wall but I
can not
tell if the insulation is making it all the way down or just
bunching
up in one spot part of the way down. Now it looks like the best
option
is to use the blown in insulation maybe like the "Geenfiber" the
sell
at Home Despot.

As an almost off topic comment, when insulating your bathroom,
consider filling in the space between a tub and the walls/face
with batt. *We did it in our homes and water in the tub remained
hotter much longer: particularly when on an outside wall. *Do use
caution, however, if the pipe inlet is on an outside wall, since
the added insulation could block enough ambient heat to permit
freezing of the water in the pipes.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. *If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

I like that idea. When I do the bathroom I'm going to have to do a lot
of insulating and make sure it is done well. The pipes did freeze and
burst a couple of times. I think I fixed it better the last time but I
will make damn sure when I gut that part of the house. We don't use
that bathroom right not so I have all the water shut off to the
upstairs.

Thanks, David