Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wall insulation

Hi...

We're having some remodeling done that involves pulling off some
drywall here and there. The house is not very well insulated, and we
were thinking of re-insulating at least the parts that get exposed.

The contractor told me that r-19 is as high as you should go in walls
and that taking a thicker bat of higher r-value would just get
compressed in the wall and lose its efficacy.

It just sounded odd that we haven't improved the r-value of wall
insulation in 30+ years.

What's the best you can do for wall insulation these days?

Thanks
Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mark Modrall wrote:

The contractor told me that r-19 is as high as you should go in walls
and that taking a thicker bat of higher r-value would just get
compressed in the wall and lose its efficacy.

For fiberglass in 2x4 wall cavity, that's true.

It just sounded odd that we haven't improved the r-value of wall
insulation in 30+ years.

Fiberglass is still fiberglass -- can't do much to change that...

What's the best you can do for wall insulation these days?

There's a much higher R-factor per inch for solid foam products than
fiberglass although I don't recall the number otomh, it's easily googled
(just I'm not going to bother... ).

It's more expensive, of course, but then again, you get more, too.
Unfortunately, though, unless you do something about the other areas
that aren't insulated as well, you're not going to see anyways near the
increase in overall effectiveness that you're hoping for.

Depending on what you do have, it could possibly be cost-effective to
simply pull the walls at one time and do it all or investigate the
fill-in systems that don't require access other than small holes to
patch later. That, of course, depends on details not provided as to
what is there now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

We're having some remodeling done that involves pulling off some
drywall here and there. The house is not very well insulated, and we
were thinking of re-insulating at least the parts that get exposed.

The contractor told me that r-19 is as high as you should go in walls
and that taking a thicker bat of higher r-value would just get
compressed in the wall and lose its efficacy.

It just sounded odd that we haven't improved the r-value of wall
insulation in 30+ years.

What's the best you can do for wall insulation these days?

Thanks
Mark

Not much you can do about R Factor of insulation in a wall just doing patch
jobs here and there...Now if you were doing a total gut there are things you
could do....Like spraying it with Polyurethane Foam....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Modrall wrote:

It just sounded odd that we haven't improved the r-value of wall
insulation in 30+ years.

What's the best you can do for wall insulation these days?

How much money do you want to spend? Spray foam will get you in the 20s, but
isn't cheap. Spray cellulose is also slightly more efficient than fiberglass and
will also improve noise reduction over fiberglass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 00:42:37 GMT, Mark Modrall
wrote:

Hi...

We're having some remodeling done that involves pulling off some
drywall here and there. The house is not very well insulated, and we
were thinking of re-insulating at least the parts that get exposed.

The contractor told me that r-19 is as high as you should go in walls
and that taking a thicker bat of higher r-value would just get
compressed in the wall and lose its efficacy.

It just sounded odd that we haven't improved the r-value of wall
insulation in 30+ years.

What's the best you can do for wall insulation these days?

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

Assuming you'd prefer to stick with batt insulation, Roxul's Flexibatt
is rated at R22. It's a really nice product that's easy to work with
(it doesn't itch like traditional glass batt).

See: http://www.roxul.com/sw47757.asp

If, however, you're looking for maximum R-value and money is no
object, high density close cell polyurethane foam can't be beat, but
it's not something a D-I-Y'er can tackle on their own.

See: http://www.sprayfoam.org/

Cheers,
Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

We're having some remodeling done that involves pulling off some
drywall here and there. The house is not very well insulated, and we
were thinking of re-insulating at least the parts that get exposed.

The contractor told me that r-19 is as high as you should go in walls
and that taking a thicker bat of higher r-value would just get
compressed in the wall and lose its efficacy.

It just sounded odd that we haven't improved the r-value of wall
insulation in 30+ years.

What's the best you can do for wall insulation these days?

Thanks
Mark

He's mostly right with 2 x 4 framing. There are some foam sheets that can
top that, but they are very expensive by comparison. Fiberglass batts are at
about the limit of technology for that material. If you add framing to make
a 2 x 6 equivalent you can add more insulation.

Insulation depends on air to do the work and compressing thicker batts will
reduce the amount of insulating value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-02-06, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Insulation depends on air to do the work and compressing thicker
batts will reduce the amount of insulating value.

For a given thickness cavity, denser insulation will have a higher
R-value. For a 3.5" cavity, you can get low density (R-11), medium
density (R-13) and high density (R-15) fiberglass batts. So if you
took a medium density 5.5" batt (R-21) and stuffed it in a 3.5"
cavity, you would lose R-value relative to the R-21, but you'd still
be higher than R-13.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

closed cell spray foam about R6 per inch, plus its a self vapor
barrier, and best of all it expands and seals all air leaks, making
for a draft free quiet room, since air leaks carry noise...........

if it were me i would go foam since even though it costs more over
time its bound to pay for itself
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fiberglass - R-13/15 in a 3.5" wall and R-19 in a 5.5" wall. Slightly
better with cellulose. The new fangled closed cell foams claim a lot more,
but i'm not up on those.

Wall insulation Denis UK diy 0 July 22nd 07 10:42 PM
Wall insulation Jeff Home Repair 7 November 3rd 06 02:19 AM
cavity wall insulation - interior wall ? completed now Pete Cross UK diy 2 May 12th 06 12:40 PM
Help! Wall insulation daniel UK diy 7 November 26th 05 11:44 AM
wall insulation... Christian Home Repair 7 June 10th 05 07:26 AM