Posted to alt.home.repair
S. Barker S. Barker is offline

Default wall insulation

Fiberglass - R-13/15 in a 3.5" wall and R-19 in a 5.5" wall. Slightly
better with cellulose. The new fangled closed cell foams claim a lot more,
but i'm not up on those.

"Mark Modrall" wrote in message
Hi...

We're having some remodeling done that involves pulling off some
drywall here and there. The house is not very well insulated, and we
were thinking of re-insulating at least the parts that get exposed.

The contractor told me that r-19 is as high as you should go in walls
and that taking a thicker bat of higher r-value would just get
compressed in the wall and lose its efficacy.

It just sounded odd that we haven't improved the r-value of wall
insulation in 30+ years.

What's the best you can do for wall insulation these days?

Thanks
Mark