Posted to uk.d-i-y
daniel

Default Help! Wall insulation

I have been lumbered with a porch on our ground floor flat with two
external masonry walls (one course of bricks).

To make the room habitable I need to install floor, wall, and probably
roof insulation (flat, cold roof).

So far I have applied a bitumenous damp proofing to the concrete slab,
and lined these walls with a treated timber frame 100mm thickness (with
a gap between it an the external walls varying from 10mm to 100mm due
to the curved wall).

My question is- how can I best insulate these external walls? I was
thinking masonry DPM timber frame with insulation inserted in
between timbers. Will this be adequate for warmth and the building
inspector?

Rockwool cavity seems to be a good balance between quality and value
although I'm not sure it is suitable for insertion between the timbers
like I plan.

Please provide some guidance.

Many thanks

Daniel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Danny,
I posted this just recently...............
Just thought I'd share this info with everyone. I've just added
a Dormer to a new upstairs room. Basically 4" x 2" (95mm x 45mm) stud

walls. I've 'stuffed' it with the following insulation called Rocksilk

by Knauf. The spec. sheet gives the following details...

UNIVERSAL SLAB RS45
Thickness 100mm (I have also used 75mm)

Length: 1200mm
Width: 600mm
Area per pack (m^2): 3.6
Lamda (W/mK): 0.035
R Value (m^2K/W): 2.85
Fire ClassSlabs per Pack: A1
Pack per Pallet: 5
Product Code: 2361392

The price for one pack from Sheffield Insulations in Aberdeen
was £32. So that's nearly £10 per square metre. Quite expensive for
what it is.
It is good to work with, easily cut with a breadknife. Just
cut it about a quarter inch oversize and push between the studs.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
daniel

Cheers for that.

Did you put the DPM behind the insulation, or in front (before the
plasterboard)?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula

On 24 Nov 2005 09:44:51 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named "daniel"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I have been lumbered with a porch on our ground floor flat with two
external masonry walls (one course of bricks).

My question is- how can I best insulate these external walls? I was
thinking masonry DPM timber frame with insulation inserted in
between timbers. Will this be adequate for warmth and the building
inspector?

Hmm. The last question will depend on whether you're converting a
porch into a habitable part of the dwelling or whether it was part
before. If the latter, then you're not making the situation worse
than previously and therefore don't need a Building Regulations
application. If the former and you are 'renovating' the walls, roof
or floor over a substantial area, you should insulate to a
'reasonable' standard.

To answer your first question; you would be better with a PIR
insulation such as Celotex, Kingspan, Xtratherm, etc. between the
studs, and a vapour barrier on the _inside_ (polythene or foil backed
plasterboard) to prevent condensation from within the building getting
into the timbers.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

daniel wrote:
Cheers for that.

Did you put the DPM behind the insulation, or in front (before the
plasterboard)?

Thanks

No I didn't as this is effectively an extension of the
roof itself so there is roofing felt, then 22mm. sarking boards, then
95mm. studs packed with that RockSilk insulation, then 12.5mm
plasterboard. There seems to be two schools of thought regarding
putting polythene on top of the insulation and under the plasterboard.
Who wants to live in a poly-bag?

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
daniel

The porch was not part of the dwelling before as there was an exterior
grade door between it and the dwelling, so my understanding is that we
will have to insulate to a reasonable standard.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll pack the studs and then use a lined
plasterboard as you mentioned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
daniel

Ok, seems to be a similar situation to me then.

Cavity Wall Insul;ation - does it work ? Stephen UK diy 17 November 16th 05 04:54 PM
Cavity Wall Insulation Swift Half UK diy 4 October 13th 05 02:19 PM
wall insulation... Christian Home Repair 7 June 10th 05 07:26 AM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM