Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula

Default Help! Wall insulation

On 24 Nov 2005 09:44:51 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named "daniel"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I have been lumbered with a porch on our ground floor flat with two
external masonry walls (one course of bricks).

My question is- how can I best insulate these external walls? I was
thinking masonry DPM timber frame with insulation inserted in
between timbers. Will this be adequate for warmth and the building
inspector?

Hmm. The last question will depend on whether you're converting a
porch into a habitable part of the dwelling or whether it was part
before. If the latter, then you're not making the situation worse
than previously and therefore don't need a Building Regulations
application. If the former and you are 'renovating' the walls, roof
or floor over a substantial area, you should insulate to a
'reasonable' standard.

To answer your first question; you would be better with a PIR
insulation such as Celotex, Kingspan, Xtratherm, etc. between the
studs, and a vapour barrier on the _inside_ (polythene or foil backed
plasterboard) to prevent condensation from within the building getting
into the timbers.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"