Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which router?

I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift.
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift.
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Steve

Pull up rec.woodworking news group. Lots of experts there. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look into the Triton router. Lesser known, but I've seen them and it
makes a very good table router. As for handheld, it might be a big
large. They do make a 2.25HP model that could double as both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 9:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift..
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Steve

I'm not sure what you mean by "a pro model".

The answer to the "which router" question is another question:

"What are you (or your giftee) going to use it for?"

Mostly free-hand routing? Mostly table mounted routing?

Large diameter bits or small? Plunge or fixed base?

This site gives very brief overview that might help you decide what
*style* of router you want to buy. After that you can start thinking
about which brand:

http://all-wood-working-plans.com/ne...ng-router.html

It's merely a coincidence, but I own the Porter Cable 690LR mentioned
in the article, which is a very versatile router. I have the fixed
base, the plunge base and a table.

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/690lr.htm

The interchangeable 1/2" & 1/4" collets let me use virtually any size
bit I want with no vibration.

Vibration is a key point. The $49 Craftsman POS I bought as my first
router scared the crap out of me, what with the noise and vibration.

I know you said that you don't want "a pro model" but you'd be very
surprised how much a little extra money spent will make when it comes
to ease of use and satisfaction with the results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift.
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Steve

Anything from Bosch, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Triton will do. Get
recommendations from www.patwarner.com Pat is probably the best in the
world for router stuff.

As for tables, Benchdog is good. For bits, Infinity, Whiteside, and a bunch
of others.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Feb 23, 3:48*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift.
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Steve

Anything from Bosch, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Triton will do. *Get
recommendations fromwww.patwarner.com*Pat is probably the best in the
world for router stuff.

As for tables, Benchdog is good. *For bits, Infinity, Whiteside, and a bunch
of others.

==
Somehow that URL didn't work for me.

Googleing brought me this:

http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html

That worked.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 22, 8:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift..
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Steve

Pat Warner over at rec.woodworking is one well known expert. Check out
his web site too, at www.patwarner.com/ for the real skinny.
Several years ago I bought my DeWalt 618K based on his recommendation,
and after the learning curve, invested in some of his accessories.
Couldn't be happier with the results. For router bits I use MLCS and
magnate.net for the unusual wide selection you always wind up needing
after stocking up with multibit sets. MLCS is very focussed on router
matters, and should be a good place to start. There aren't too many
real slouches in the market, so you should wind up enjoying the new
skills .

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits
as a gift. Which router do you recommend without getting into a
pro model?

Steve

Anything from Bosch, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Triton will do.
Get recommendations from www.patwarner.com Pat is probably the
best in the world for router stuff.

As for tables, Benchdog is good. For bits, Infinity, Whiteside,
and a bunch of others.

I'd add that for a larger router, I'd pay the extra tab and get
soft start and also look for one with a decent trigger switch.
For the smaller ones, there's not that much starting torque, but
the bigger dudes can move things around a bit if you're not
expecting it and have a firm grip.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a Republican seating option. These are
seats which blow heated air onto your backside in the winter
and cooled air in the summer. If they were democrat car seats,
they would just blow smoke up your rump year-round.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:42:18 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift.
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Porter Cable makes a few very good "intermediate" routers. The '690'
series is good for most use. For anything more I'd recommend
something different for each application (table, plunge, fixed).
Basically, the needs differ. A table-mounted router need a lot of
power, which makes it difficult to use free-hand. Plunge routers
don't work all that well (some are better than others) in tables.
There are many variables. I have three routers (one is a PC-690) and
soon will be buying a forth. Each has it's use and no one would do
all, though if I did have to choose one...

Posted to alt.home.repair

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a
gift. Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Porter Cable makes a few very good "intermediate" routers. The '690'
series is good for most use. For anything more I'd recommend
something different for each application (table, plunge, fixed).

don't forget a trim router;they can be very handy and easier to use in some
cases. Even Harbor Freight has one that often sells for around $20!

Basically, the needs differ. A table-mounted router need a lot of
power, which makes it difficult to use free-hand. Plunge routers
don't work all that well (some are better than others) in tables.
There are many variables. I have three routers (one is a PC-690) and
soon will be buying a forth. Each has it's use and no one would do
all, though if I did have to choose one...

the Porter-Cable 690 models come in a set with both fixed and plunge bases.
You swap the motor assembly between the bases.you can keep the fixed base
in the router table and use the plunge base for freehand tasks.

You want a router that accepts 1/2" bit shanks,and 1/2" shank bits;they
give cleaner cuts.They cost more,but are worth the money.

Trim routers only accept 1/4" bits.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:48:00 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a
gift. Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Porter Cable makes a few very good "intermediate" routers. The '690'
series is good for most use. For anything more I'd recommend
something different for each application (table, plunge, fixed).

don't forget a trim router;they can be very handy and easier to use in some
cases. Even Harbor Freight has one that often sells for around $20!

Yeah, I have a Bosch Colt.

Basically, the needs differ. A table-mounted router need a lot of
power, which makes it difficult to use free-hand. Plunge routers
don't work all that well (some are better than others) in tables.
There are many variables. I have three routers (one is a PC-690) and
soon will be buying a forth. Each has it's use and no one would do
all, though if I did have to choose one...

the Porter-Cable 690 models come in a set with both fixed and plunge bases.
You swap the motor assembly between the bases.you can keep the fixed base
in the router table and use the plunge base for freehand tasks.

Good point. Mine came only with the 'D' handle, which I really like
for a fixed base. I don't have a plunge base for it and am
considering my alternatives. I'm thinking about a Bosch or Milwaukee
plunger, but in a weak moment could be persuaded to go for a Festool.
;-)

You want a router that accepts 1/2" bit shanks,and 1/2" shank bits;they
give cleaner cuts.They cost more,but are worth the money.

Yes, and most 1/2" routers will have 1/4" collets available as an
option. Some also have metric collets. IIRC, PC includes both 1/2"
and 1/4" collets with the 690 series routers.

Trim routers only accept 1/4" bits.

Yes, they're *trim* routers. ;-) I wouldn't want to hand-hold a big
bit in a trim router.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which router?/redux

wrote:

I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift.
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Porter Cable makes a few very good "intermediate" routers. The '690'
series is good for most use. For anything more I'd recommend
something different for each application (table, plunge, fixed).
Basically, the needs differ. A table-mounted router need a lot of
power, which makes it difficult to use free-hand. Plunge routers
don't work all that well (some are better than others) in tables.
There are many variables. I have three routers (one is a PC-690) and
soon will be buying a forth. Each has it's use and no one would do
all, though if I did have to choose one...

I went and got a Porter Cable 6960LR. The guy says a plunge base can be
bought for it, and easily changed. Boy, routers have changed from what I
remember. I remember $60. This was $150, and they went up to $300. I
found a 15 bit set at a pawn shop for $30. It may be cheap Chinese, but it
will get my friend started, and after that he will have to buy the bits he
needs. The set was never used. Nice wood box.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I shall be getting mine out soon to
start making some birdhouses, and doing some honeydoos around here.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote

I went and got a Porter Cable 6960LR. The guy says a plunge base can be
bought for it, and easily changed. Boy, routers have changed from what I
remember. I remember $60. This was $150, and they went up to $300. I
found a 15 bit set at a pawn shop for $30. It may be cheap Chinese, but
it will get my friend started, and after that he will have to buy the bits
he needs. The set was never used. Nice wood box.

Sounds like a good deal overall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:58:44 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

I went and got a Porter Cable 6960LR. The guy says a plunge base can be
bought for it, and easily changed. Boy, routers have changed from what I
remember. I remember $60. This was $150, and they went up to $300. I
found a 15 bit set at a pawn shop for $30. It may be cheap Chinese, but
it will get my friend started, and after that he will have to buy the bits
he needs. The set was never used. Nice wood box.

Sounds like a good deal overall.

Yup. Especially for the giftee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:58:44 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote

I went and got a Porter Cable 6960LR. The guy says a plunge base can be
bought for it, and easily changed. Boy, routers have changed from what
remember. I remember $60. This was $150, and they went up to $300. I
found a 15 bit set at a pawn shop for $30. It may be cheap Chinese, but
it will get my friend started, and after that he will have to buy the
bits
he needs. The set was never used. Nice wood box.

Sounds like a good deal overall.

Yup. Especially for the giftee.

The giftee is an electrician that has two more years left to retirement. He
can get more work done than three union electricians working beside him.
Won't walk away from anything that isn't right. He has done lots of work
for us, all free, just perks. It's nice to have a friend like that. So, it
was really a good deal. In fact, we should do more for him.

Like knowing a good welder. Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:23:28 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm going to purchase a router, guide, table, and a set of bits as a gift.
Which router do you recommend without getting into a pro model?

Porter Cable makes a few very good "intermediate" routers. The '690'
series is good for most use. For anything more I'd recommend
something different for each application (table, plunge, fixed).
Basically, the needs differ. A table-mounted router need a lot of
power, which makes it difficult to use free-hand. Plunge routers
don't work all that well (some are better than others) in tables.
There are many variables. I have three routers (one is a PC-690) and
soon will be buying a forth. Each has it's use and no one would do
all, though if I did have to choose one...

I went and got a Porter Cable 6960LR. The guy says a plunge base can
be bought for it, and easily changed.

That looks like a variable speed version of the 690. It should be a
very good router. Yes, but a plunge base is another $100. That's
what has me thinking. Maybe I'll buy another router instead.

Boy, routers have changed from what I remember. I remember $60. This was $150,

Well, $1 isn't what $1 was, either. ;-) ...or maybe :-(

and they went up to $300.

You've seen nothing yet: ;-)
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/5742...OF-2200-Router

I found a 15 bit set at a pawn shop for $30. It may be cheap Chinese, but it
will get my friend started, and after that he will have to buy the bits he
needs. The set was never used. Nice wood box.

Were they 1/2"? This really is important for most bits. a 1/4" shank
is OK for some small bits, but in general they should be 1/2".

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I shall be getting mine out soon to
start making some birdhouses, and doing some honeydoos around here.

It's almost that season. ;-) I just gotta get my shop (room over the
garage) finished so I can play more than six months a year (Mar-June
and Sept-Nov).