Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thin drywall tape recommendation?

Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

I only use paper tape and have never had any problems.

The mesh stuff is only recommended for use under the setting type mud per
USG web site.

Some people believe it resists cracking better but I am not one of them.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 10:00*am, blueman wrote:
Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

Actually, for just cosmetic repair of non-growing cracks, I've had
luck with priming the hell out of the crack, and filling it with
paintable caulk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 10:57*am, mike wrote:
On Feb 10, 10:00*am, blueman wrote:

Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

Actually, for just cosmetic repair of non-growing cracks, I've had
luck with priming the hell out of the crack, and filling it with
paintable caulk.

P.S. This assumes that the crack width is fairly tiny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 1:59*pm, mike wrote:
On Feb 10, 10:57*am, mike wrote:

On Feb 10, 10:00*am, blueman wrote:

Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

Actually, for just cosmetic repair of non-growing cracks, I've had
luck with priming the hell out of the crack, and filling it with
paintable caulk.

P.S. *This assumes that the crack width is fairly tiny.- Hide quoted text -

I've tried that a few places myself as well. Works pretty good for
those cracks that seem to keep coming back too. The flexibility of
the paintable caulk stops them from recurring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On Feb 10, 10:00 am, blueman wrote:
Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

Actually, for just cosmetic repair of non-growing cracks, I've had
luck with priming the hell out of the crack, and filling it with
paintable caulk.

I've had luck with this as well. I take one of those 5-n-1 paint tools and
run the point down the crack to remove anything loose then hit it with a bit
of caulk. Wait for it to dry and prime right over it. Got one room I did
this way about 10 years ago, holding up perfectly, don't even know the crack
was there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 2:05*pm, "Brian V" wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

[...]

was there.- Hide quoted text -

"I take one of those 5-n-1 paint tools ..."

5-in-1? Come on...

Real men use 14-in-1 tools.

http://www.poundedthumb.net/storage/IMG_8459%202.JPG

Can you list all 14 uses?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote the following:
On Feb 10, 2:05 pm, "Brian V" wrote:

"mike" wrote in message

[...]

1. cleans paint rollers
2. spreads and scrapes
3. cleans out cracks
4. phillips screwdriver
5. flat head screwdriver
6. bottle opener
7. 1/2 hex head
8. 1/4 hex head
9. nail puller
10. putty knife
11. opens paint cans
12. convex
13. sets drywall nails
14. concave scraper

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 2:05 pm, "Brian V" wrote:

"mike" wrote in message

[...]

perfectly, don't even know the crack was there.- Hide quoted text -

"I take one of those 5-n-1 paint tools ..."

5-in-1? Come on...

Real men use 14-in-1 tools.

http://www.poundedthumb.net/storage/IMG_8459%202.JPG

Can you list all 14 uses?

1. cleans paint rollers
2. spreads and scrapes
3. cleans out cracks
4. phillips screwdriver
5. flat head screwdriver
6. bottle opener
7. 1/2 hex head
8. 1/4 hex head
9. nail puller
10. putty knife
11. opens paint cans
12. convex
13. sets drywall nails
14. concave scraper

bottle opener?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 2:05 pm, "Brian V" wrote:

"mike" wrote in message

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

Google is our friend!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 2:05 pm, "Brian V" wrote:

"mike" wrote in message

[...]

bottle opener?- Hide quoted text -

"bottle opener?"

Yes, right next to the "H" in "Husky".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 1:00*pm, blueman wrote:
Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

This stuff is by far the best crack repair stuff I've ever run across,
and I've run across a bunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Roof-Patch-910.../dp/B000I1RY7S

The kit comes with 4" wide flat-tape that is much thinner than any
other tape and the vinyl spackling is very quick-drying and remains
flexible. You can put on two thin coats and paint all within half an
hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:00:52 -0500, blueman wrote:

Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

I am not aware of various thicknesses in drywall tape. I recommend
the mesh tape--it makes the job easy and stays intact much better than
the paper tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour writes:

On Feb 10, 1:00Â*pm, blueman wrote:
Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

This stuff is by far the best crack repair stuff I've ever run across,
and I've run across a bunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Roof-Patch-910.../dp/B000I1RY7S

The kit comes with 4" wide flat-tape that is much thinner than any
other tape and the vinyl spackling is very quick-drying and remains
flexible. You can put on two thin coats and paint all within half an
hour.

The product description talks only about exterior uses and doesn't
mention plaster or drywall repairs -- talks mostly about sealing and
waterproofing.

Is this really the product you recommend for plaster and drywall
patching?
It's also rather pricey at about 75 cents per lineal foot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 4:10*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:00:52 -0500, blueman wrote:
Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

I am not aware of various thicknesses in drywall tape. *I recommend
the mesh tape--it makes the job easy and stays intact much better than
the paper tape.

I'm indifferent to mesh tape, until there is a reason to go back into
a section repaired with it, then I curse it to high heaven. With the
paper tape you can make clean cuts and leave the old repair mostly
intact. With the mesh it invariably tears and falls apart, making a
small job huge. I only use paper tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 5:23*pm, blueman wrote:
RicodJour writes:
[...]

Sorry, I was already on Amazon and gave you a link to another one of
their products. Here's the correct one from the manufacturer's web
site.
http://www.tkocoatings.com/store/store.htm

Would I recommend it...? Yeah, I already did! Seriously, the
stuff is good.
You can definitely go cheaper, but you won't go faster or flatter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 5:34*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
[...]

What's the big deal about cutting the fiberglass tape with a razor
knife? Cut first, pull mesh tape after. If you're not using a sharp
blade, or not going deep enough to cut all the way through the mesh,
that's not a problem with the mesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 5:52*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

I normally use a new blade, & it doesn't matter, it wouldn't matter if
you used a saw, unless it was a circular saw. That is just one of
those things that seems like it ought to work but, doesn't. Still I
don't care what others do, so long as I don't have to follow them. BTW
the advise others gave on the paintable chalk, is a +1 that is the
easiest and the best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"blueman" wrote in message
Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

I only use paper tape and have never had any problems.

The mesh stuff is only recommended for use under the setting type mud per
USG web site.

Some people believe it resists cracking better but I am not one of them.

Colbyt

Ditto to what Colby said....Caulk will show with eggshell or semi-gloss but
cover pretty good with flat paint if you go that route..Never used "roof
patch kits" for drywall or plaster walls do I can't comment on that witch
doctor fix......Sounds like feathering is something you can't do very well
as paper tape covers VERY easily.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:44:34 -0500, willshak
wrote:

"I take one of those 5-n-1 paint tools ..."

5-in-1? Come on...

Real men use 14-in-1 tools.

http://www.poundedthumb.net/storage/IMG_8459%202.JPG

Can you list all 14 uses?

1. cleans paint rollers
2. spreads and scrapes
3. cleans out cracks
4. phillips screwdriver
5. flat head screwdriver
6. bottle opener
7. 1/2 hex head
8. 1/4 hex head
9. nail puller
10. putty knife
11. opens paint cans
12. convex
13. sets drywall nails
14. concave scraper

15. pry bar
16. cuts small finish nails
17. door knocker
18. other assigned duties

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour writes:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

That makes a lot more sense!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:00:52 -0500, blueman wrote:

Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

I have used some perforated,self-adhesive paper tape from Lowes, but with
mixed results. Best to just put on a thin layer of normal weight (or
special taping) mud and end with a 12" trowel on each side of the repair
and don't go crazy building it up. If you are careful you will only need 2
thin coats on top of the tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:00:52 -0500, blueman wrote:

Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

I have used some perforated,self-adhesive paper tape from Lowes, but with
mixed results. Best to just put on a thin layer of normal weight (or
special taping) mud and end with a 12" trowel on each side of the repair
and don't go crazy building it up. If you are careful you will only need 2
thin coats on top of the tape.

That tape SUCKS..I would not recomend it...

Drywall Self Adhesive Tape? Al Franz Home Repair 5 April 27th 07 04:14 AM
How Tape Drywall Edges? Albert Home Repair 8 April 24th 07 03:59 PM
Drywall tape? Steve Thrasher Home Repair 8 March 30th 06 05:17 AM
drywall tape frank smith Home Repair 13 February 11th 06 12:04 AM
Do I need to use drywall tape? Mike Walker Home Ownership 1 January 12th 05 03:39 PM